Welcome to Toontastic

Welcome to Toontastic, like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Toontastic by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others as well as comment on articles.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and connect with other fans
  • Participate in the Toontastic Prediction League
  • Upload Images to the Gallery
  • Use the Calendar feeds
  • You can even use your Twitter or Facebook accounts to make the signup even less painless!

Create Your Account Now By Visiting The Links Above or Clicking Here

Photo

Music Of The WeekNew poll 14/04

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Best new album this week?

Best new album this week?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts

Keep meaning to catch up on back catalogues, but keep ploughing on with new artists and old favourites.

Started listening to Roxy Music and Can last week though and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyone fancy voting for a band/artist each week for everyone else to listen to, learn about and comment on?

Tied in the vote with new albums for the week so there's something for people who already know them inside out.  

Can add any other to the vote.

adios

adios
  • Fudge Panda

• 11,272 posts

I'd be up for this though I have a broad but shallow taste in music, so not sure I could add much insight.

"Glenn Roeder has stood up all his life and he will stay standing, whatever happens to him."
Glenn Roeder on Glenn Roeder.

I came for the banter, I stayed for deadman's line attenuation

Park Life

Park Life
  • Legend

• 33,912 posts

Obviously voted Future Islands. Saw them in Paris summer before last by bribing security for held back tickets. :D

Edited by Park Life, 09 April 2017 - 05:06 PM.

Art destroys ideas.

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts
Got the new one yet?

Nothing stood out on my first listen like seasons immediately appealed.

Park Life

Park Life
  • Legend

• 33,912 posts

Haven't heard the full new album yet. Couple of tracks sounded a bit lazy or re-workings of old ideas.

My main interest in them is the mix of 80's Manchester/Sheffield/Liverpool period of alt synth bands. There is a clear melancholy to most of their tracks that linger in the mind and actually don't reward too close a listen. It is something far away that promises to reveal itself but never quite does..This is their charm. There is some Psychedelic Furs, Icicle Works and Simple Minds creeping about in there as well.

Proper review to follow. My mate likes them cause the lead singer looks like his brother.

Edited by Park Life, 09 April 2017 - 09:50 PM.

Art destroys ideas.

Ayatollah Hermione

Ayatollah Hermione
  • Evil Twin

• 11,662 posts

Joey Badass' new one is really good if you like your hip-hop a bit more traditional for lack of a better word. 

No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?

Andrew

Andrew
  • Commanding centre-back

• 16,854 posts

Not so new but I've been on Steven Wilsons "Hand. Cannot. Erase." a lot lately.

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts

Lat week saw a 3 way tie between Future Islands, Fujiya & Miyagi and Joey Bada$$

Haven't listened to F&M but prefer the FI to the JB.

This week... it has to be a landslide right?

ewerk

ewerk
  • Legend

• 28,953 posts
Listened to KL several times during the week and just can't love it. Though that goes for pretty much all of his work. I don't dislike it but don't understand the acclaim that he gets.

Ewerk is right.

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts

SputnikMusic say this one is his best since section.80 :lol: fucking contrary critics. 

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts

PRIDE off the KL album was produced by Steve Lacy.  18 year old and he gets a track on the biggest album of the year so far... and he still works exclusively on an iphone!

ewerk

ewerk
  • Legend

• 28,953 posts
Except he doesn't work exclusively on iPhone and that track wasn't recorded / produced exclusively on an iPhone.

Ewerk is right.

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts
:lol: whey that's what I was told and I prefer that story so you haven't convinced me otherwise.

ewerk

ewerk
  • Legend

• 28,953 posts
Except that he has himself tweeted exactly the opposite to your story just today. Fuck the MSM.

Ewerk is right.

Happy Face

Happy Face
  • Legend

• 39,321 posts
Did seem questionable like. Those irigs are $40 and get minging reviews for their sound.

ewerk

ewerk
  • Legend

• 28,953 posts
The album is still average though.

Ewerk is right.

sammynb

sammynb
  • 10,629 posts

The fucker is using a 330 Rickenbacker, a fender precision bass and "there is all this studio equipment", there is no chance he uses his phone and an irig to record the music he releases.

People just talk such shite.

Edited by sammynb, 16 April 2017 - 10:28 PM.

QFT

Pure apathy is going to be the lasting legacy of Ashley's reign.

Ant

Ant
  • Unethical and Power-mad

• 20,918 posts

Did seem questionable like. Those irigs are $40 and get minging reviews for their sound.

Shite headphones and all

as an aside for anyone looking a new pair the ones i use for the office have dropped down to ¬£130 from ¬£230 and are excellent https://www.whathifi...g/n60-nc/review

Park Life

Park Life
  • Legend

• 33,912 posts

The fucker is using a 330 Rickenbacker, a fender precision bass and "there is all this studio equipment", there is no chance he uses his phone and an irig to record the music he releases.

People just talk such shite.

The first few bars sounded so clean no way it was recorded without professional gear.

Art destroys ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users