Welcome to Toontastic

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Fish

Top 10 windows

1) Real Madrid 2009 – £218m

Big deals: Kaka £55.25m, Cristiano Ronaldo £79.9m, Xabi Alonso £30.09m, Karim Benzema £29.75m

An absolute shit ton of money, but unlike the other ones, it's hard to make a case that any of the players were anything but successes. Ronaldo is arguably the best player on the planet and has repaid that outlay a few times already. Best window by some distance

 

2) Real Madrid 2013 – £149m

Big deals: Dani Carvajal £5.53m, Casemiro £5.1m, Isco £25.5m, Asier Illarramendi £27.2m, Gareth Bale £85.85m.

Unqualified success. Bale is one of the best players on the planet and has repaid his fee already. The others have been good enough to justify their fees, Isco included. Very good window.

 

3) Barcelona 2014 – £141million

Big deals: Marc-André ter Stegen £10.2m, Ivan Rakitic £15.3m, Claudio Bravo £10.2m, Luis Suarez £69.46m, Jeremy Mathieu £17m, Thomas Vermaelen £16.15.

Bought arguably the final piece of the attacking jigsaw. Messi, Suarez and Neymar are the best attacking combination of my lifetime and Suarez' energy, his technique and, yes, his sh!thousing perfected that triumvirate. £10m for ter Stegen is a bargain. The other players all slotted in perfectly and Barcelona went on to win the Treble. Very good window.

 

4) Manchester United 2016 – £145m
Big deals: Eric Bailly £30m, Henrikh Mkhitaryan £26.3m, Zlatan Ibrahimovic (no fee), Paul Pogba £89.25m

I know they finished outside the top 4 and haven't exactly played great football, but I'd say this was a successful window. They've all settled quickly and while £89.5m is a huge amount for someone, I can imagine Pogba having years at Man Utd and when he settles properly he'll dominate games. Good window.

 

5) Manchester City 2009 – £119m

Big deals: Gareth Barry £11.82m, Roque Santa Cruz £18.02m Carlos Tevez £24.65m, Emmanuel Adebayor £24.65m, Kolo Toure £15.9m, Joleon Lescott £23.38m.

Decent window to be honest. Barry became a reliable experienced Premier League player who looked a little out of place initially, has settled very well. Like a lad you have to invite on your stag do because he's your Fiance's mate, but actually he's a good laugh and gets the rounds in. Toure and Lescott were good additions, Tevez was a very good player and Adebayor celebrating that goal in front of Arsenal fans makes his transfer fee a bargain.

Average Window. 

 

 6) Manchester City 2015 £179m

Big deals: Raheem Sterling £44m, Fabian Delph £8.13m, Patrick Roberts £12.75m, Nicolás Otamendi £37.91m, Kevin De Bruyne £62.9m.

De Bruyne is arguably the best in his position in the Premier League and a world class talent. The same cannot be said for Sterling or Otamendi. Two flops in my opinion though I might be being harsh on Sterling. Delph is a waste of money, but not a lot of money so I'm meh about that and Roberts is one for the future. Ok Window

 

7) Liverpool 2014 – 128m

Big deals: Rickie Lambert £4m, Adam Lallana £26.35m, Emre Can £10.2m, Lazar Markovic £21.25m, Dejan Lovren £21.51m, Divock Origi £10.74m, Alberto Moreno £15.3m, Mario Balotelli £17m.

Mixed fortunes here. Lambert was buttons, so I don't care. Lallana, Can and Lovren have come good, so that's nice. Origi might make it, might not. Moreno and Markovic must be considered flops given the return on the investment, but Balotelli was disruptive, ineffective and a liability. Going to say a bad window. 

 

8) Manchester City 2016 – £154m
Big deals: Ilkay Gundoğan £22.95m, Nolito £15.3m, Leroy Sane £42.5m, John Stones £47.26m, Claudio Bravo £15.3m.

It's a measure of how little impact Nolito has had that I didn't remember they'd signed him. Sane looks decent and Gundogan has been unlucky with injury, but looked ok when fit. Dunno if they're worth £65m though. Stones looks both out of his depth and cocky. When an attacker does that you can understand it, but Stones ... I don't understand John Stones. Nolito, Bravo and Stones are flops for me. Bad window. So sad.

 

9) Manchester United 2014 – £166m

Big deals: Ander Herrera £30.6m, Luke Shaw £31.88m, Marcos Rojo £17m, Angel Di María £63.75m, Daley Blind £14.88m, Falcao loan fee £6.46m

Herrera is all right, but has not looked a £30m player under Van Gaal or Mourinho. Shaw, Rojo, Di Maria and Falcao are all flops. Falcao's flopping may have cost little, but it was a spectacular flop. Mourinho seems to hate Shaw so I'd expect him to be sold on, for half of what they paid for him. Disastrous window.

 

10) Manchester United 2015 – £132m
Big deals: Memphis Depay £28.9m, Matteo Darmian £15.3m, Bastian Schweinsteiger £7.65m, Morgan Schneiderlin £29.75m, Anthony Martial £51m

Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin already bounced out of Old Trafford, and it looks like Martial and maybe Darmian will follow. Unmitigated failure of a window. Shocking . Hang your head in shame Louis.

Worst window of the lot here

 

 

 

 

Yes, I am super busy, why do you ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I originally thought that this thread was something to do with Operating Systems and had been posted in the wrong forum.

 

That said, you've got some years appearing multiple times. So is it the Top 10 Transfer Windows of Any Club in Terms of Money Spent?

 

And is it net spend?

Edited by Rayvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rayvin said:

I originally thought that this thread was something to do with Operating Systems and had been posted in the wrong forum.

 

That said, you've got some years appearing multiple times. So is the Top 10 Transfer Windows of Any Club in Terms of Money Spent?

 

And is it net spend?

 

Just biggest gross spends innit bruv.

 

Dead straightforward Rayvin me old china, don't need to 'ave complexity in everyfink now do we?

 

Now, 'owsabaht a traditional cockernee knees up, wheeeey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually interesting to see that for all Real Madrid have this reputation for spending mental amounts of money - when they do it, it does actually seem to work. Compared to United and City at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, The Fish said:

 

 

10) Manchester United 2015 – £132m
Big deals: Memphis Depay £28.9m, Matteo Darmian £15.3m, Bastian Schweinsteiger £7.65m, Morgan Schneiderlin £29.75m, Anthony Martial £51m

Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin already bounced out of Old Trafford, and it looks like Martial and maybe Darmian will follow. Unmitigated failure of a window. Shocking . Hang your head in shame Louis.

Worst window of the lot here

 

 

 

 

Yes, I am super busy, why do you ask?

All flops. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's actually interesting to see that for all Real Madrid have this reputation for spending mental amounts of money - when they do it, it does actually seem to work. Compared to United and City at least.

 

I think maybe  that's because they can buy the tried and tested, the proven few who've shown they can perform on the biggest stage. They have the finances, the renown, competitiveness and ambition. So they can attract the very best, where most of the others lack in one area or other. 

 

Players need to be convinced to sign for the Manchester club that looks troubled and on the Wayne ( ;) )  similarly they need to be convinced to sign for Manchester City who, while rich and ambitious, don't have the identity, the renown that their neighbours enjoy. It seems nobody needs to be convinced to sign for Real Madrid.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

 

I think maybe  that's because they can buy the tried and tested, the proven few who've shown they can perform on the biggest stage. They have the finances, the renown, competitiveness and ambition. So they can attract the very best, where most of the others lack in one area or other. 

 

Players need to be convinced to sign for the Manchester club that looks troubled and on the Wayne ( ;) )  similarly they need to be convinced to sign for Manchester City who, while rich and ambitious, don't have the identity, the renown that their neighbours enjoy. It seems nobody needs to be convinced to sign for Real Madrid.

 

 

 

Yeah but look at Pogba for instance. He should fit the Bale/Ronaldo mould that you've set out, but Real Madrid knew to stay clear, and while he's not been a flop exactly, it's hard to imagine him being considered a success either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

 

Yeah but look at Pogba for instance. He should fit the Bale/Ronaldo mould that you've set out, but Real Madrid knew to stay clear, and while he's not been a flop exactly, it's hard to imagine him being considered a success either.

Knew to steer clear, or didn't want him at the moment for that price?

 

I don't think he's a success, yet. If they get the rest of the recruitment right, he'll be a dominant force in the Premier League. Look at what he's got around him, a knackered Rooney or a raw Rashford ahead of him, inconsistent arseholes on the flanks in Martial and Lingard. an unsettled midfield around him, no great quality at the back either. 

 

Ibrahimovic is the only other outfield player that is of title-challenging quality.

 

It's like Shearer looking done until Sir Bob brought in Robert and Bellamy to change the way we played; if Man Utd bring in players of actual quality Pogba will look a lot better than he did this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1)  Windows 7

 

2) Windows 98

 

3) Windows 8

 

3) Windows 3.1

 

4) Windows 8.1

 

5) Windows XP Professional

 

6) Windows XP

 

7) Windows 10

 

8)  Windows 95

 

9) Windows 5

 

10) Windows 2000

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish, I'm getting your family and friends together and we're going to sit down and get you through this rough patch. We're coming from a place of love.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LooneyToony said:

1)  Windows 7

 

2) Windows 98

 

3) Windows 8

 

3) Windows 3.1

 

4) Windows 8.1

 

5) Windows XP Professional

 

6) Windows XP

 

7) Windows 10

 

8)  Windows 95

 

9) Windows 5

 

10) Windows 2000

 

 

damn beat me to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Renton is going to fucking love this topic.

:icon_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LooneyToony said:

1)  Windows 7

 

2) Windows 98

 

3) Windows 8

 

3) Windows 3.1

 

4) Windows 8.1

 

5) Windows XP Professional

 

6) Windows XP

 

7) Windows 10

 

8)  Windows 95

 

9) Windows 5

 

10) Windows 2000

 

 

I know you like to be :quotes: zany :quotes: but the ordering of this list is beyond the pale. <_< 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, adios said:

I know you like to be :quotes: zany :quotes: but the ordering of this list is beyond the pale. <_< 

 

missing Windows ME as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, adios said:

I know you like to be :quotes: zany :quotes: but the ordering of this list is beyond the pale. <_< 

 

@Renton will not be pleased. Where is stained glass window?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows ME and NT?  I remember avoiding NT at all costs from all the negative internet chatter.  At least I think it was NT I was avoiding.

 

Stained glass window.  That's not what Fish intended this thread to be about. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now