Bird On Hughton

Christmas Tree

A year ago Chris Hughton sat at Newcastle’s training ground and said he wasn’t a frontline manager.

That’s about the only thing he’s got wrong since then.

When Alan Shearer took over 12 months ago tomorrow, Hughton was relegated to holding the drinks and shuffling around the cones.

This weekend he is on the brink of a remarkable turnaround. From unmanageable basket case to Premier League giants once again, Hughton’s thoughtful and diligent approach has been the perfect antidote to years of brash signings and boastful bosses.

The quiet boss doesn’t regret his premature statement, made during his unsuccessful period as caretaker manager.

“It was the way I felt at the time,” he said. “In any job you can develop and grow.

“I have found the whole package a challenge. But if you don’t enjoy a challenge you shouldn’t be here.

“For 15 years I’ve been involved working with managers, tactics, players, issues I am dealing with now.

“It stood me in good stead for the position I’m in now.”

Hughton’s secret has been his ultra-low key approach. The mood on Tyneside used to be like a rollercoaster. A win brought wild optimism, defeats brought anger and knee-jerk pressure.

This season Hughton has never let slip the mask of an unflappable, thoughtful leader who never gives a clue as to his joy or disappointment.

The primal roar he let rip when Shola Ameobi grabbed Toon’s opener against Nottingham Forest on Monday night was a rare show of passion.

Then back came the mantra: “No champagne on Saturday. Got to bring the lads back down to earth. Still go a job to do.”

He’s fostered a collective spirit behind the scenes. Experienced players have become confidants, including Steve Harper, Kevin Nolan and Nicky Butt.

Together they’ve set a tone of discipline and stability that means the Andy Carroll-Steven Taylor bust-up was an exception rather than the norm.

Players talk of a key moment coming pre-season with two meetings. Anyone wanting out was told to say so and go. The others had to stay, buy into staying loyal, and give their all.

Big tests will, of course, come in the Premier League when the side will lose many more than their five defeats this season.

Spanish left-back Jose Enrique is one of the heroes of the Geordies’ fightback this season, and has worked under Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear and Shearer.

He said: “Chris Hughton is the best manager I have had here and it is my third season.

“Throughout this season he has helped us remember the reasons we got relegated. It was the players’ own mistakes, we did not play well last season.

“That made us so determined to go straight back up.

“All of us who stayed decided it was better to try and help the team win promotion than leave straight after relegation. It was our duty.”

Hughton, too, has certainly responded to his call of duty.

Personally I think it would be really nice if Hughton can make the grade. I know they say nice blokes come last, but it would be so refreshing to have a man of his ilk in charge.

A year ago Chris Hughton sat at Newcastle’s training ground and said he wasn’t a frontline manager.

That’s about the only thing he’s got wrong since then.

When Alan Shearer took over 12 months ago tomorrow, Hughton was relegated to holding the drinks and shuffling around the cones.

This weekend he is on the brink of a remarkable turnaround. From unmanageable basket case to Premier League giants once again, Hughton’s thoughtful and diligent approach has been the perfect antidote to years of brash signings and boastful bosses.

The quiet boss doesn’t regret his premature statement, made during his unsuccessful period as caretaker manager.

“It was the way I felt at the time,” he said. “In any job you can develop and grow.

“I have found the whole package a challenge. But if you don’t enjoy a challenge you shouldn’t be here.

“For 15 years I’ve been involved working with managers, tactics, players, issues I am dealing with now.

“It stood me in good stead for the position I’m in now.”

Hughton’s secret has been his ultra-low key approach. The mood on Tyneside used to be like a rollercoaster. A win brought wild optimism, defeats brought anger and knee-jerk pressure.

This season Hughton has never let slip the mask of an unflappable, thoughtful leader who never gives a clue as to his joy or disappointment.

The primal roar he let rip when Shola Ameobi grabbed Toon’s opener against Nottingham Forest on Monday night was a rare show of passion.

Then back came the mantra: “No champagne on Saturday. Got to bring the lads back down to earth. Still go a job to do.”

He’s fostered a collective spirit behind the scenes. Experienced players have become confidants, including Steve Harper, Kevin Nolan and Nicky Butt.

Together they’ve set a tone of discipline and stability that means the Andy Carroll-Steven Taylor bust-up was an exception rather than the norm.

Players talk of a key moment coming pre-season with two meetings. Anyone wanting out was told to say so and go. The others had to stay, buy into staying loyal, and give their all.

Big tests will, of course, come in the Premier League when the side will lose many more than their five defeats this season.

Spanish left-back Jose Enrique is one of the heroes of the Geordies’ fightback this season, and has worked under Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear and Shearer.

He said: “Chris Hughton is the best manager I have had here and it is my third season.

“Throughout this season he has helped us remember the reasons we got relegated. It was the players’ own mistakes, we did not play well last season.

“That made us so determined to go straight back up.

“All of us who stayed decided it was better to try and help the team win promotion than leave straight after relegation. It was our duty.”

Hughton, too, has certainly responded to his call of duty.

Personally I think it would be really nice if Hughton can make the grade. I know they say nice blokes come last, but it would be so refreshing to have a man of his ilk in charge.

This for me. We take chances on big name managers and they do not work out. It's his team and squad let him get on with it and judge by results. A lot of credit to him.

I'd have a spinwank if Houghton is good enough to be a top class manager. People have reservations, and rightly so.

I repect the low-key way he does it, it doesn't make for the most entertaining press-conferences or pre/post game interviews but it's been nice to have a season with a little more pride in the club and a few wins.

I'd have a spinwank if Houghton is good enough to be a top class manager. People have reservations, and rightly so.

I repect the low-key way he does it, it doesn't make for the most entertaining press-conferences or pre/post game interviews but it's been nice to have a season with a little more pride in the club and a few wins.

Its an interesting point that.

He's played at a decent level, he's coached for a long time, he's gained the respect of the players, he's created a good club spirit and according to Journos he's handled and deflected the press well by his style.

That leaves tactics and an eye for a player which will have to be proved over time and in the Prem.

However he still ticks a lot of the boxes.

What was the track record for the Oneils, Moyes etc and other decent British managers and when did they come to light. Wasnt Oneil raved about in the lower leagues with Leicester?

Its an interesting point that.

He's played at a decent level, he's coached for a long time, he's gained the respect of the players, he's created a good club spirit and according to Journos he's handled and deflected the press well by his style.

That leaves tactics and an eye for a player which will have to be proved over time and in the Prem.

However he still ticks a lot of the boxes.

What was the track record for the Oneils, Moyes etc and other decent British managers and when did they come to light. Wasnt Oneil raved about in the lower leagues with Leicester?

wycombe

I'll comment at christmas :D

Aye, we can all do that after the event :icon_lol: when he has either succeeded or failed, but its interesting to spot the moment they go from being a nobody to a somebody. Surely the Moyes etc all had to go through that journey.

The next crop of good managers have to come from somewhere. He's served an apprenticeship of sorts at spurs and here, played at the World Cup etc, so he's probably worth a shot. It's not like he's made a pigs ear of anything yet. I know most hoped Shearer would turn out to be a fantastic manager, but as others have pointed out, we looked motivated last season for maybe 1 game under his charge last season as we limped to relegation. You can't lay the blame entirely at him of course.

He's earned the right to have a crack at it. I just hope we don't all start expecting miracles straight away.

We will though. And thats why he'll probably be getting booed by Christmas.

I dont think we will. Surely relegation has to have tempered expectations.

I'll be happy with some clever signings from Mr Carr and Hughton, some battling performances and Europe.

Edited by Christmas Tree

it’s all right him being a nice guy so far, most of this season the injuries have dictated the starting line-ups. If he wants to step up another level he’s got to cull some of his ”confidants” on the way and deal with the consequences when he gets new bodies in.

His ”confidants” seem to have been the main force behind the exceptional team spirit we seem to have — will he be big enough to disrupt it?

Can he be a bastard? — because he’ll have to be sooner or later.

Edited by Giraffidae

He's earned the right to have a crack at it. I just hope we don't all start expecting miracles straight away.

We will though. And thats why he'll probably be getting booed by Christmas.

I dont think we will. Surely relegation has to have tempered expectations.

I'll be happy with some clever signings from Mr Carr and Hughton, some battling performances and Europe.

:D:icon_lol::angry: :angry:

it’s all right him being a nice guy so far, most of this season the injuries have dictated the starting line-ups. If he wants to step up another level he’s got to cull some of his ”confidants” on the way and deal with the consequences when he gets new bodies in.

His ”confidants” seem to have been the main force behind the exceptional team spirit we seem to have — will he be big enough to disrupt it?

Agreed, it's all easy when things are going well but when tough decisions have to be made will he be able to do it e.g. telling Butt to fuck off this summer.

I also agree with Asprilla's point that he's earned a crack at it and I really hope he proves myself and others wrong.

Agreed, it's all easy when things are going well but when tough decisions have to be made will he be able to do it e.g. telling Butt to fuck off this summer.

I also agree with Asprilla's point that he's earned a crack at it and I really hope he proves myself and others wrong.

Wondering if he's made any this season?

I can think of him leaving Barton out after a spat and obviously the decision to play Carrol after "incident". I suppose you could also say he is making a decision by putting Barton in ahead of the fit again Smith.

Maybe having the guts to leave Best out as well when Im sure others might have just persevered with him regardless so as not to look a tit.

Cant really think of any other Biggies.....

No response to that bet I offered you CT? Where's your faith in King Khris? Or is it Fat Mike you're afraid of?

None at all :icon_lol: but heres a site you may be interested in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/

I do think its canny daft that people expect you to put money on the table because they cant accept your opinion. "You are wrong and you should either admit it or put money on your opinion".

I dont always agree with you but thats a bit stupid. You can even hope ashley will invest enough money over the summer to give us a chance of staying up. It might be a forlorn hope but you're allowed to hope for it.

Imo of course. And i am prepared to bet a tenner that this will be proved to be stupid in 5 years time.... when people grow up. :D

No response to that bet I offered you CT? Where's your faith in King Khris? Or is it Fat Mike you're afraid of?

None at all :sweat: but heres a site you may be interested in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/

I do think its canny daft that people expect you to put money on the table because they cant accept your opinion. "You are wrong and you should either admit it or put money on your opinion".

I dont always agree with you but thats a bit stupid. You can even hope ashley will invest enough money over the summer to give us a chance of staying up. It might be a forlorn hope but you're allowed to hope for it.

Imo of course. And i am prepared to bet a tenner that this will be proved to be stupid in 5 years time.... when people grow up. :icon_lol:

I quite often look back at some of my posts and dont agree with myself :angry: :angry: :angry:

But to me I put that down to the Keegan heart on your sleeve mentality. I write the way I feel at that time without worrying about whether Im going to contradict something I said previously.

I am also very forgiving and optimistic by nature so these traits no doubt have an effect.

I was devestated over Keegan, detest Llambias and see Ashley as being a very silly boy who shouldnt have left the the lunatics in charge of the Asylum.

Like most I also had little faith in Hughton but I am genuinely delighted for him (and us) and just wish we could have a nice Disney ending where Mike stays for the long haul and builds us over time into world beaters, led by a new generation of Hughton's entertainers.

I appreciate some will never forgive Ashley and others have traits that lead them to assume the worst will happen (understandable after recent years).

But I also agree that on an internet forum you should be able to argue the hell out of each others position without resorting to bets or falling out.

:D