Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

Skysports.com understands Newcastle are one of a number of clubs tracking Swindon hot-shot Charlie Austin.

Austin has been a revelation for Swindon since being snapped up from non-league Poole Town last October.

The 20-year-old has scored a staggering 16 goals in 22 starts for Swindon and is regarded as one of the best young talents in the country.

Austin's goalscoring exploits are understood to have caught the attention of a host of clubs higher up the football pyramid.

Newcastle are believed to have watched Austin in action on a number of occasions this season, with Premier league Tottenham and Fulham also keeping tabs on the forward's progress.

Championship promotion hopefuls Newcastle are understood to have watched Austin in action at the weekend against Hartlepool, with assistant boss Colin Calderwood an interested observer at Victoria Park.

Swindon are keen to keep Austin as they battle for promotion from League One, with the prolific striker being rewarded with a new two-and-a-half year deal in February for his progress.

Edited by Christmas Tree

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hull City midfield schemer Jimmy Bullard will be Newcastle United's No1 summer target should they win promotion back to the Premiership.

The Sun says Toon boss Chris Hughton is already looking to life back in the big-time with Hull midfield ace Bullard one of his top targets.

Owner Mike Ashley is set to give Hughton £15million to go shopping.

Bullard cost Hull £5m from Fulham two years ago and earns around £30,000 a week at the KC Stadium. That is small fry for Toon.

Hughton said: "We have a lot of good players here but we are always looking to strengthen. I've got some big decisions to make.

"We've got a scouting system set up to identify players doing well and there are ones we have on the radar once we've achieved promotion."

Bullard left Fulham because of his wage demands basically so I couldn't see that one happening, especially as he's getting on a bit and is injury-prone. Good player though.

As regards Bullard, I thought we would be only signing players under 26 who would have a resale value?? or has that gone out of the window now?

Havent heard of this Austin fella so cant comment.

As regards Bullard, I thought we would be only signing players under 26 who would have a resale value?? or has that gone out of the window now?

Havent heard of this Austin fella so cant comment.

Re the 26 age, has anyone at the club actually stated that it is a hard and fast rule or is it more of a guide ( wish I guess is a wish of most clubs)

I'll bite my balls of if we get £15m in the summer to spend on tansfers.

I think 15 mill should be the least Hughton gets. There should also be money from outgoings, tho hopefully they will be Hughtons choices, unless silly money is offered.

I would like to hold on to all the good ones and avoid the Waddle Beardsley days but if a silly offer allows some extra money in the kitty then it may be worthwhile.

I'll bite my balls of if we get £15m in the summer to spend on tansfers.

I think 15 mill should be the least Hughton gets. There should also be money from outgoings, tho hopefully they will be Hughtons choices, unless silly money is offered.

I would like to hold on to all the good ones and avoid the Waddle Beardsley days but if a silly offer allows some extra money in the kitty then it may be worthwhile.

If only we had one player as good as Loony, Quasi or Pelanty.

I like Bullard, but I couldnt see us paying £5M for a 30 year old with a dodgy leg. Plus isnt our wage structure now capped at £15K pw?

Bullard no thanks. Will do a job and will put in the effort when on the pitch, but will want too much in wages and is a aging sick-note.

Leazes, I've just appointed you Director Of Football & Chief Executive of Ambition. You're in charge of the direction of the club from here on, what do you do?

Ohh the ambition eh Leazes.... :D

indeed.

Without it, why bother ?

Leazes, I've just appointed you Director Of Football & Chief Executive of Ambition. You're in charge of the direction of the club from here on, what do you do?

Genuinely interested in your answer. Try to be specific.

There will have been lots of young starlets, reserve players of prem teams etc watching that game, that atmosphere and more importantly that comaradery ? last night and being very envious.

I bet a few agents have had their ear bent this morning.

There will have been lots of young starlets, reserve players of prem teams etc watching that game, that atmosphere and more importantly that comaradery ? last night and being very envious.

:D:icon_lol::angry:

:D:icon_lol::angry:

+1 since i think he means it

Are you two mackems in disguise?

Ofcourse I meant it. There will have been loads watching that game and the reactions when Enrique scored, envious as fuck.

I'm not talking Torres etc but I am talking the likes of players Chris willbe after this summer.

The likes of the perch?? Kid who had Jonas in his pocket all night, the likes of other young good'uns here and abroad, the likes of prem players who can't hold down a regular slot.

These are the players we will be after and they would love what they saw on the pitch aswell as being impressed by Hughton.

Seriously, I can't see how you two can't see it.

Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies has warned Newcastle owner Mike Ashley he will have to splash out more than £60million this summer to guarantee his club’s Barclays Premier League future.

Davies left St James’ Park on Monday night convinced he had seen the Championship champions. Newcastle delivered a potential knock-out blow to Forest’s title ambitions by beating them 2-0, leaving them nine points adrift of second-placed West Bromwich and facing the prospect of a play-off lottery.

Since a minor wobble at the turn of the year, when Forest got within touching distance of Chris Hughton’s side, Newcastle have proved their Premier League class. Their last defeat was in October, they are on the brink of remaining unbeaten at home throughout the season for the first time since 1877 and Steve Harper has set a club record of 20 clean sheets.

Promotion will be guaranteed with wins over Peterborough on Saturday and Sheffield United on Easter Monday — and then the speculation surrounding Ashley’s future will intensify.

He failed to sell the club for £100m in the autumn but knows promotion is likely to at least double the club’s value. There are no signs that parties interested in purchasing the club then intend to make improved offers, or that Ashley is considering a fresh sale.

The sportswear businessman was seen leaping for joy in the directors’ box on Monday and he has put plans in place for next season. Former Northampton

boss Graham Carr has been scouring the country for talent and Ashley, who has already ploughed more than £300m into the club, has set a £25,000-a-week wage cap on new recruits.

Three years ago Davies took Derby to the top flight via the play-offs but, with his hands tied by a lack of investment, he quit after winning just six points in 14 games. And he warned Newcastle they need to splash out if they are to survive and compete at the top level.

‘They’ll be facing a very difficult task,’ he said. ‘When Derby went up, Tottenham were a very good Premier League side and they spent £50m on top of what they had. 'Newcastle are different from other clubs who’ve been promoted because of where they come from. They’re already sitting here with a budget that exceeds X amount, with a squad depth that has huge experience. But they still need to spend and, as a greedy manager, I think at least £40m for the first window and £20m for the second.

‘But they have very good experienced players: Gutierrez, Enrique, Ameobi — you can go through the team. They are better equipped than others and are a different animal — an animal ready-made for the Premier League with a Premier League infrastructure, but it will need an injection of new players.

They deserve great credit for getting into the Premier League but they know that it takes huge spending to compete.’

Jose Enrique, 24, whose first career goal on Monday rounded off the leaders’ seventh successive home win, has been a revelation.

Hughton will be keen to keep the former Villarreal defender, although his displays will have put him on the radar of Spanish and English clubs. He has already been the subject of interest from Sunderland.

Enrique knows Newcastle need to invest to avoid a painful repeat of relegation and he is convinced Hughton is the man to continue leading the club.

He said: ‘In the Premier League, we know the teams are a different level. We have a good team for the Championship and we need players for the Premier League, but that’s normal.

'Every team will need new players. Those who decided to stay after relegation decided it was better to try to help win promotion than to leave straight after the drop.

'Even last summer when I said I wanted to stay, I meant it. I don’t lie. People will now believe and realise why I did it.

‘And Chris Hughton deserves the credit. He is the best manager I’ve ever had here in three seasons. He’s had one season and has grown into the job.

‘People who say he will not be as good in the Premier League are being unfair. Why not? The club want him to stay, he’s very keen to stay and the players want to work with Chris next season.’

article-1262383-08EFCB54000005DC-427_468x207_popup.jpg