1 point in 18 saw Souness Sacked

Ugly Mackems

You know what'll happen though, we'll get stuffed on Saturday and he'll then sack Roeder Monday morning.

Sacking him after not getting a result against a team and at a venue that we never get a result. It'll be piss poor timing AGAIN.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what'll happen though, we'll get stuffed on Saturday and he'll then sack Roeder Monday morning.

Sacking him after not getting a result against a team and at a venue that we never get a result. It'll be piss poor timing AGAIN.

IMO, that would be as good a time as any. Much sooner lose him after a game we'd have lost anyway, than after another crap 1-0 home defeat against a team who with another manager we'd have won the game.

IMO, that would be as good a time as any. Much sooner lose him after a game we'd have lost anyway, than after another crap 1-0 home defeat against a team who with another manager we'd have won the game.

Agreed. Think we'd get tonked at the weekend, irrelevant of who's in charge...

;)

Am I the only one who doesn't get the point?

3 points out of 24 is like 1 from 8. Far better than Souness and his 1 in 18.

Err, it's not like imo. It's two draws better from two more games and it will almost certainly compare even less favourably after this Saturday.

It can't compare less favourably after this Saturday. 3 points from 27 (= 1 from 9 = 2 from 18) is still twice as good as 1 from 18.

Even if you only base it on each managers last 6 games, Roeder still has 2 points out of 18. And will still have after the weekend.

It might be like saying a solid is better than diahorrea, pointless when they're both shit, but Souness had had a worse recent run however you look at it.

I think that Shepherd hasn't got a clue what to do now. People say we don't give managers a chance but we do so Shepherd thinks that he cant win if he sacks him and he cant win if he keeps him.

He can't win*. Everyone baying for Roeder's blood will whine like there's no tomorrow when a shit manager comes in as replacement. They don't seem to be forthcoming when it comes to suggesting someone else though, but will continue to whine.

*Unless he fucks off altogether himself.

Edited by Happy Face

I reckon Rodders job hangs on the result of Arse and Pompey. If we get less than two points then he will be sacked a week on Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

3 wins and a draw in the league since the last post in here. In games including 3 against teams in European qualifying positions.

Fair play to the bloke, as bad as injury troubles have been in the past at the Toon, they've rarely been this bad, but he's never used it as an excuse, keeps saying he'll get on with it and is getting performances out of the bare bones.

Whatever happens at Chelsea, I'm quite confident about Watford, Tottenham, Bolton and Everton bringing enough points to consolidate a mid-table position.

3 wins and a draw in the league since the last post in here. In games including 3 against teams in European qualifying positions.

Fair play to the bloke, as bad as injury troubles have been in the past at the Toon, they've rarely been this bad, but he's never used it as an excuse, keeps saying he'll get on with it and is getting performances out of the bare bones.

Whatever happens at Chelsea, I'm quite confident about Watford, Tottenham, Bolton and Everton bringing enough points to consolidate a mid-table position.

Seconded.

I'm not convinced that we will really get many points out of the games against Spurs, Bolton and Everton. Chelsea is going to need a wonder anyway. A very slim hope is that they will play a reserve team in the League Cup.

Recent weeks have been good and the positive thing is that individual performances have been picked up as well. We even get the odd chance and score goals.

But in a scenario where we easily can end up with just three points (beating Watford is a must) out of the next five games - and I'll add that we are playing ManU and Tottenham afterwards - could still leave us in a very worrying position. We have wasted far too many points against the likes of Charlton, Fulham and Sheffield.

The last 3 wins have been brilliant and quite unexpected, to me at least. But I fail to see how we are down to the bare bones as far as injuries? There's been adequate cover for all the injured players, and ironically, that is probably one of the reasons for our success! No Parker, Bramble or Carr, with Butt and Solano coming in as cover, have at least partly contributed to our recent success imo, long may their injuries continue! But you'll notice, I'm sure, that replacing these players was not some inspirational move by Roeder, but one that was borne out of necessity. Lucky, in other words.

The last three wins have been impressive, but even under Souness we went through "blips", which prolonged his time in the job and was ultimately to our detriment. Time will tell if we really have turned the corner with Roeder. But as you say, even with good results from the fixtures ahead of us, the best we can realistically hope for is being mid-table. That simply is not good enough. Maybe I am wrong (I hope so), but when I see what Roeder has done with his previous clubs, and in particular I look at his record in the transfer market, the words "SHIT MANAGER" scream out at me.

Maybe you are suffering from lowered expectation syndrome, and regard what would have been normal fare under Robson as somewhat exceptional, but remember, compared to other clubs Roeder has spent a lot already, and will no doubt spend a lot more in January - not a particularly healthy thing to do for a club that is haemorraging more than a million quid a month, and has an income/wages ratio of nearly two thirds.

The last 3 wins have been brilliant and quite unexpected, to me at least. But I fail to see how we are down to the bare bones as far as injuries? There's been adequate cover for all the injured players, and ironically, that is probably one of the reasons for our success! No Parker, Bramble or Carr, with Butt and Solano coming in as cover, have at least partly contributed to our recent success imo, long may their injuries continue! But you'll notice, I'm sure, that replacing these players was not some inspirational move by Roeder, but one that was borne out of necessity. Lucky, in other words.

There's also Dyer, Owen, Ameobi and Moore which makes 7 first team regulars not fit (for better or worse). If Paul Jewel or someone lost as many of his first team and was still winning he'd be getting high praise. I believe you make your own luck, Roeder has been as lucky as Souness was unlucky.

The last three wins have been impressive, but even under Souness we went through "blips", which prolonged his time in the job and was ultimately to our detriment. Time will tell if we really have turned the corner with Roeder. But as you say, even with good results from the fixtures ahead of us, the best we can realistically hope for is being mid-table. That simply is not good enough. Maybe I am wrong (I hope so), but when I see what Roeder has done with his previous clubs, and in particular I look at his record in the transfer market, the words "SHIT MANAGER" scream out at me.

I think Souness had blips that coincided with a run of games against shite opposition. We've been beating teams in the top half recently. Roeder's transfers at Newcastle haven't been "shit" have they? Sibierski and Martins are scoring. Duff has been disappointing, but never broke the bank.

Maybe you are suffering from lowered expectation syndrome, and regard what would have been normal fare under Robson as somewhat exceptional, but remember, compared to other clubs Roeder has spent a lot already, and will no doubt spend a lot more in January - not a particularly healthy thing to do for a club that is haemorraging more than a million quid a month, and has an income/wages ratio of nearly two thirds.

I don't see why having lowered expectations should be a bad thing. Isn't it better to be realistic than delusional. We ain't good enough to crack the top four even with a full strength squad, and weren't for a few seasons before Roeder arrived. We're a top-half club

Roeder has definitely had worse injuries than Souness and had the added job of having inherited the complete mess left by Souness. Souness at least had the luck of not following a complete fuckwitt like himself!

And there is no doubt that if many other clubs had the same injuries we do then they would struggle and would be far lower down the league than they are.

But even with all our injuries, we've all seen the games and the opposition this season and the points we've dropped against teams that should have been hammered with ease and we could (and should) be sitting where Portsmouth for example, are this season.

The home games against Fulham, Everton, Bolton, Charlton, Sheff utd etc. all saw points dropped against teams that were either complete shite or at best poor so the management/coaches clearly haven't done a good job this season.

Roeder has definitely had worse injuries than Souness and had the added job of having inherited the complete mess left by Souness. Souness at least had the luck of not following a complete fuckwitt like himself!

And there is no doubt that if many other clubs had the same injuries we do then they would struggle and would be far lower down the league than they are.

But even with all our injuries, we've all seen the games and the opposition this season and the points we've dropped against teams that should have been hammered with ease and we could (and should) be sitting where Portsmouth for example, are this season.

The home games against Fulham, Everton, Bolton, Charlton, Sheff utd etc. all saw points dropped against teams that were either complete shite or at best poor so the management/coaches clearly haven't done a good job this season.

But in some of those games we fully deserved the win but never seemed to have the goals in us. The goals seem to be coming a lot easier now though.

There's also Dyer, Owen, Ameobi and Moore which makes 7 first team regulars not fit (for better or worse). If Paul Jewel or someone lost as many of his first team and was still winning he'd be getting high praise. I believe you make your own luck, Roeder has been as lucky as Souness was unlucky.

I think Souness had blips that coincided with a run of games against shite opposition. We've been beating teams in the top half recently. Roeder's transfers at Newcastle haven't been "shit" have they? Sibierski and Martins are scoring. Duff has been disappointing, but never broke the bank.

I don't see why having lowered expectations should be a bad thing. Isn't it better to be realistic than delusional. We ain't good enough to crack the top four even with a full strength squad, and weren't for a few seasons before Roeder arrived. We're a top-half club

Duff a good signing? Martins cost 10 million! Sibierski is average at best and arrived courtesy of McKay.

Well you make your points well, but we'll just have to wait and see where we go from here. I might well be wrong (and for that I would have to endure a gloating LeazesMag for all eternity), but I just can't see Roeder being the man to move us forward, and I fear the club is on the verge of bankruptcy.

However, there may be a further irony. By securing ourselve in premier league (absolutely ridiculous we should have ever been in the situation where it was in doubt, don't forget), a takeover will be much more likely. I doubt somehow that new owners of NUFC would share your assertion that Roeder is a good enough manager for us, and I reckon he'd be the first staff member out the door.

But in some of those games we fully deserved the win but never seemed to have the goals in us. The goals seem to be coming a lot easier now though.

Because we failed to give ourselves cover in the striker department. We knew Shearer had gone and Owen would be unavailable for most the season, if not all of it. We knew Ameobi was knackered. It was (presumably) Roeder's decision to put all his faith in midget who had never played in the premier league, who cost 10 million. The buck ultimately stops with Roeder, and if he fails, then it stops at Shepherd.

How did we deserve to win when we had no goals in us? Apart from that game against Everton we created fuck all in these games. We were playing abysmal football and deserved every result we got tbh.

IMO you deserve the win if you score more goals than the opposition, not for having the most possesion or the most attempts on goal etc. Managers always bang on about how they deserved more than the result, well they didn't because their team didn't score and the other team did which is what both sets of players are bough and paid for.

The only time you validly can claim you deserved something you didn't get is when a ref/linesman has shafted you out of it (quite likely in the prem as our officials are complete pricks) or maybe if you have some incredible piece of bad luck that you can't legislate for.

But even if we "deserved" a win in some of those games (and i still to this day have to admit i don't know how we lost the Fulham game!) the fact remains this season has seen some of the worst teams, playing some of the worst football i have seen at St. James in the prem and we are struggling against them when past teams of ours would have felt insulted to have to share the pitch with some of the abject shite we've faced this year!

Take out manu and Chelsea, possibly Liverpool if they find any consistency and Arsenal when they aren't fannying about and whingeing about all and sundry, and the prem is absolutely abysmal these days and with our resources we should be well clear of all bar the 4 teams i mentioned.

I'm really pleased for the guy....as we've seen, big name managers/players don't always come up with the goods and I think it would be very healthy for the club to have a "small name" manager who did well.

I'm really pleased for the guy....as we've seen, big name managers/players don't always come up with the goods and I think it would be very healthy for the club to have a "small name" manager who did well.

I'm sorry, but that's just fucking stupid! It reminds me of LeazesMag's comments that Shepherd was justified to hire a manager with a shit record because he'd hired ones with good records before but they hadn't worked out. ;)

The ONE position you have to get right at a club is the appointment of the manager. To employ someone who has a record as bad as Roeder's is reckless at the very least. I can't imagine another club in the premiership or even the championship would have touched him with a barge pole.

I'm sorry, but that's just fucking stupid! It reminds me of LeazesMag's comments that Shepherd was justified to hire a manager with a shit record because he'd hired ones with good records before but they hadn't worked out. :D

The ONE position you have to get right at a club is the appointment of the manager. To employ someone who has a record as bad as Roeder's is reckless at the very least. I can't imagine another club in the premiership or even the championship would have touched him with a barge pole.

A better record at Newcastle than Robson though tbh. ;)