Who wants us to get beat on Sunday?

Howaythetoon

At a game I'd NEVER want to see us lose. I feel dirty for even thinking it before a game. I do expect us to be trounced again this weekend, however.

My problem with Freddy sacking Souey at this stage though is that would we get a repeat of last season. A team left in dissaray towards the worng end of the table, with the whole budget for the season blown by a previous manager on players, that a new manager might not even rate.

Also, there is a high probablilty that Freddy will appoint a clueless monkey to replace Souness ; and so it begins again! Can you see Fred appointing someone like Le Guen or Hitzfeld? Or can you see him appointing John "Fucking" Gregory, or Steve "Poxy" Bruce? I predict the latter. Fred has a horrible policy for recruiting. Keegan was renowned for not being a good coach/tactician-Fred appoints Dalglish(renowned for tactics/defence). Dalglish wasn't attacking enough-Fred appoints Gullit(renowned for flair). Bobby wasn't disciplined enough-Fred appoints Souness(renowned for being a nut-job). I wonder if he looks beyond these things sometimes.

I've always said almost exactly what you do, ie the "rebound" factor.

However it is hindsight, and hindsight is easy. You have also noticed the pattern. I personally was pleased with Dalglish [although devastated Keegan had gone] and very unhappy with Gullit. Happy with Bobby Robson. Extremely pissed off with Souness. In Gullits and Souness case I hoped they would change my mind, obviously. Souness' honeymoon period in my eyes though was very short.......

The point is, the vast majority of supporters were very happy with both Dalglish and Gullit at the time. So if Shepherd misjudged, so did the vast majority of supporters, including me when he chose Dalglish.

If he appoints a manager we are happy with next time, ie Le Guen to take one of your two example, will you still say Shepherd is a nugget ???? when you agreed with him.

On the other hand, if he appoints the right guy, either through inspiration or sheer luck, he will back him with plenty of cash, and as the right manager doesn't waste money like the wrong ones do, no one will falsely accuse him of not "splashing the cash"

At a game I'd NEVER want to see us lose. I feel dirty for even thinking it before a game. I do expect us to be trounced again this weekend, however.

My problem with Freddy sacking Souey at this stage though is that would we get a repeat of last season. A team left in dissaray towards the worng end of the table, with the whole budget for the season blown by a previous manager on players, that a new manager might not even rate.

Also, there is a high probablilty that Freddy will appoint a clueless monkey to replace Souness ; and so it begins again! Can you see Fred appointing someone like Le Guen or Hitzfeld? Or can you see him appointing John "Fucking" Gregory, or Steve "Poxy" Bruce? I predict the latter. Fred has a horrible policy for recruiting. Keegan was renowned for not being a good coach/tactician-Fred appoints Dalglish(renowned for tactics/defence). Dalglish wasn't attacking enough-Fred appoints Gullit(renowned for flair). Bobby wasn't disciplined enough-Fred appoints Souness(renowned for being a nut-job). I wonder if he looks beyond these things sometimes.

19187[/snapback]

You could say he was at least TRYING to keep the fans happy by attempting to address the managerial deficiencies of the predecessor, however unsuccesful they may or may not have been.

BTW, I agree entirely that sacking Souness now leads to worse problems.

If FFS had kept faith with SBR last year, would we have finished in 14th?

I doubt it.

I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, SACKING A MANGER MID-TERM IS A CRAP IDEA.

At an actual match once it kicks of its pretty much unlikely people want their team to lose, its goes against instinct.

Where the debate comes in is if you know a defeat (or maybe 2-3) is going to get Souness out and save us from disitigration under the gormless fucker.

When the mackems beat us under Gullit, nobody wanted us to lose, but christ i'm greatful for it long term as it got Gullit out in time and got Bobby in leading ultimately to us in the CL. Had Gullit fluked a win past the mackems that would have bought him time to continue with the mess he was making, which would mean maybe Bobby was no longer available or at the very least he'd have less time to turn us round.

So in answer? I'd find it hard to ever want us to lose once i'm there, but if somebody gave me a cast iron Guarentee a 1 of defeat would dump Souness out on his arse i'd take it like a shot. However that situation isn't goign to happen.

18685[/snapback]

Pretty much what I think. The Gullit situation of course was worse due to the stand off with Shearer and Lee.

If we are going to lose on Sunday and not get a point, let's get truely spanked, so hopefully lardarse will be forced to do something about it. :lol:

18859[/snapback]

not sure i agree with that, instead of there being a stand off this time, the two players ( Bellamy and Robert) were given away to other clubs.

19176[/snapback]

Not sure that Bellamy and Robert, should even be muttered in the same sentence as Shearer and Bobby Lee.

What Gullit did was professional suicide, what Souness did was what he and an ever thinning minority of fans (including the chairman) thought was best for the club..

don't want us to get beat, especially to certain teams and manu are one of those, but Souness going is best for the club and unfortunately it's a case of biting your lip and bleeding

However it is hindsight, and hindsight is easy. You have also noticed the pattern. I personally was pleased with Dalglish [although devastated Keegan had gone] and very unhappy with Gullit. Happy with Bobby Robson. Extremely pissed off with Souness. In Gullits and Souness case I hoped they would change my mind, obviously. Souness' honeymoon period in my eyes though was very short.......

The point is, the vast majority of supporters were very happy with both Dalglish and Gullit at the time. So if Shepherd misjudged, so did the vast majority of supporters, including me when he chose Dalglish.

If he appoints a manager we are happy with next time, ie Le Guen to take one of your two example, will you still say Shepherd is a nugget ???? when you agreed with him.

On the other hand, if he appoints the right guy, either through inspiration or sheer luck, he will back him with plenty of cash, and as the right manager doesn't waste money like the wrong ones do, no one will falsely accuse him of not "splashing the cash"

19227[/snapback]

My opinions of our recent managerial appointments are similar to yours: I thought Dalglish would be the next step up (still think he wasn't given enough time), I thought Gullit was wrong from the start, SBR was obviously a great signing (what a shame he didn't directly follow Keegan), and I was utterly dismayed at Souness, which has to rank as one of the worst appointments of all time.

My view now is that Souness is an incompetent bully who will never get it right, for us or anyone else. With this in mind I want shot of him ASAP. I honestly believe no manager, even Glen Roeder, would do a worse job. Having said that, I have no faith in Shepherd to get the replacement right, but I'll be amazed if he manages to cock it up as badly as he did last time.

ManU will show is up for what we are. It's pathetic how some people think the addition of one player will transform us from the team who played Bolton. The most important signing at any club (by a million miles) is the manager; until we get that right we are pissing in the wind.

19227[/snapback]

My opinions of our recent managerial appointments are similar to yours: I thought Dalglish would be the next step up (still think he wasn't given enough time), I thought Gullit was wrong from the start, SBR was obviously a great signing (what a shame he didn't directly follow Keegan), and I was utterly dismayed at Souness, which has to rank as one of the worst appointments of all time.

My view now is that Souness is an incompetent bully who will never get it right, for us or anyone else. With this in mind I want shot of him ASAP. I honestly believe no manager, even Glen Roeder, would do a worse job. Having said that, I have no faith in Shepherd to get the replacement right, but I'll be amazed if he manages to cock it up as badly as he did last time.

ManU will show is up for what we are. It's pathetic how some people think the addition of one player will transform us from the team who played Bolton. The most important signing at any club (by a million miles) is the manager; until we get that right we are pissing in the wind.

19242[/snapback]

Agree with every word mate. Thats exactly what I think.

Edited by LeazesMag

19227[/snapback]

19242[/snapback]

At some point in time though the players (and I'm afraid the fans) have to take some responsibility, there are too many at the club, who are looking to take the easy option..

Too many easy passes so as not to suffer a round of helpful jeers when the more difficult pass goes astray..

You can't blame Souness for James Milner's inexcusably bad crossing, or Shola treading on the ball, or the horrendously bad shooting from central midfield for what seems like 10 years...

I never want us to get beat but after watching the bolton game the only result i can see is a defeat and it could be a heavy one at that. Thats what I'm expecting and if it means we get rid of souness all the better. As UM said we've got a bunch of players who are just going through the motions under this numbskull of a manager and i never thought they had it in them to drop to another level of disinterested but they have, and if we don't get shot of the idiot managing them asap I'm afraid it may be to late.

I was starting to take sympathy on him and have always been willing to give him until christmas but after the other night and his ridicolous substitutions it's plain for all to see that this man has no idea about managing a successful football team and neither have his backroom staff who I'm starting to hate with as much passion as i hate the man himself. It's obvious that they do nothing as the players the other night looked like they had never ever played together and the only thing they were aware of was that they were all playing in the same coloured top.

I'd rather see anyone in charge and that includes Roeder if it was just for the rest of the season.

FUCK OFF SOUNESS scottish football is calling you :lol::lol::blink:;)

At some point in time though the players (and I'm afraid the fans) have to take some responsibility, there are too many at the club, who are looking to take the easy option..

Too many easy passes so as not to suffer a round of helpful jeers when the more difficult pass goes astray..

You can't blame Souness for James Milner's inexcusably bad crossing, or Shola treading on the ball, or the horrendously bad shooting from central midfield for what seems like 10 years...

19250[/snapback]

While agreeing with you I also think a good confident team, at ease with themselves, happy with their manager, motivated and having direction, attempt more ambitious things on the pitch and play with altogether more conviction.

On the other hand, a group of players who are unhappy, with a "cold" manager who lacks the personal touch [for those who are the types that respond to that sort of treatment which is more than you think] they will naturally go on the pitch and play like unhappy players.

You only have to look at the way the team played under Keegan, the desire, belief and motivation [and the middle period under Bobby Robson after Bellamy and Robert came] to understand the point.

19227[/snapback]

You're spot on there. I agree with all of that.

I didn't really make reference to Robson or Keegan as they were the no. 1 choice of the supporters(I think) and in hindsight were God-sends. I think Dalglish was also in that category, but failed to deliver. I was never keen on Gullit or Souey though-but more than willing to give them time.

I'm just pray that Freddy doesn't work on a 'rebound' factor (as you/I suggest), and that he saw something in Souness' appointment that 90% of the fanbase didn't (trophys?).

It's very cyclical the way we've appointed our managers :

Keegan/Robson - the hero returning to save the club.

Dalglish/Souness - the successful Liverpool hero coming in to steady the shaky-ship.

Gullit/ ??? - the man to bring back flair to the team after the dreary football at SJP.

I personally don't think that Souness can bring success to the club. I think it's maybe gone too far past the point. I hope to fuck that I'm wrong, but if I'm right, I just hope the damge done isn't too extreme.

Edited by Barney

The rebound factor could work very well in this instance though - the opposite of Souness would win us the treble in his first season.

As I said a couple of days ago. I don't want us to lose but have a kind of indifferent feeling to winning and so would see the positive side of a loss. Having said that, after the game against Bolton I was devastated and the thought of Souness days being numbered didn't cheer me up in the slightest.

Winning a game against ManUre is always a good feeling even if it unfortunately will prolong the stay of the tosser in charge. I'll also lose a bet because before the season started I said that ManUre will be the last game of Souness as Newcastle manager.

I'd never want us to get beaten, under any circumstances, and it infuriates me that some may take this view  :lol:

19288[/snapback]

I don't think anybody has said they would want us to lose a match, The only thing people have said is if somebody guarenteed a defeat would get rid of the manager you would accept it. But this is an non existent situation that won't happen, so basically nobody has said they want us to lose an actual game.