Ameobi to play again

Dr Gloom

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1948734,00.html

Ameobi prepares for one final battle before trying to save his career

Louise Taylor

Thursday November 16, 2006

The Guardian

On Sunday morning Shola Ameobi will board a flight bound for Colorado where he is scheduled to have potentially career-saving hip surgery. The Newcastle United centre-forward may well struggle to clamber up the aeroplane's steps and his mother, who is joining him for a 12-day stay in America, could even be required to help him into his seat.

It all depends on whether Ameobi leads the Tyneside attack at Arsenal on Saturday. "I want to play because I'm having the operation on Tuesday and I know it's my last game of the season," he said yesterday. Yet whenever the Nigerian-born, Geordie-bred striker has played in recent months he has paid a physical price. "I've had the hip problem for about two years now. It's degenerated badly in the past few months and will become career threatening if I don't have the operation.

Ameobi, unlike certain colleagues, has gone well beyond the call of duty this season and yesterday offered his beleaguered manager, Glenn Roeder, and chairman, Freddy Shepherd, unstinting support. "Nobody's forced me to play, I've wanted to but it's hampered certain areas of my game and I've been in a lot of pain at times. I've had quite a few injections to try to numb the pain but after some games I struggle to even walk for two days."

With his colleagues having stumbled their way into the relegation zone, Newcastle are a pale shadow of the ensemble who rose to seventh under Roeder in the second half of last season when Ameobi averaged a goal every other game. But, with Michael Owen also out for the season, Alan Shearer retired and Obafemi Martins still adapting to English football, Ameobi is adamant that Roeder should be given time to put things right.

"The lack of strikers has hurt us," he said. "If you took Thierry Henry away from Arsenal and Didier Drogba away from Chelsea they wouldn't be the same teams. We've got faith in the manager and know we've got the ability to get out of this, to put a run of wins together.

"The dressing room is behind Glenn, that's never been in doubt. We know what Glenn did for us last season, the belief he put into players and the way we feel about him has not changed. When you get bad results, people outside think the players have turned against the manager but that is not the case; we're fully behind Glenn."

Ameobi believes his team-mates appreciate Roeder's straightforwardness. "Glenn is honest; he tells us what he thinks whether we want to hear it or not. If he doesn't agree with something you're doing, he'll tell you to your face, he won't go behind your back. Because we know he's honest we trust his judgment and we all respond to him."

Ameobi does not agree that Shepherd, the subject of recent protests by fans, has outlived his usefulness. "For me the criticism that has come the chairman's way is unfair. To me he's given his all and put everything he can into the club. He has never been shy about putting all his resources into the team. He's made money available at all times and bought some great players like Alan and Michael.

"I don't think the season's over for Newcastle; there's two thirds of it left and we're still in all the cups. We were down and out by the halfway stage last year but still qualified for Europe."

Roeder and Shepherd can only hope such optimism proves justified.

Fucking ludicrous. :lol:

Who could have 'foreseen' Shola's hip being problematic this season though?

:lol:

A new phrase to enter my vocab, like Sod's Law and Catch 22, "Shola's Hip" will forever be used to ridicule someone who can't see the patently obvious.

"No wonder the clutch has gone pet, you ride it like Shola's hip!"

"I want to play because I'm having the operation on Tuesday and I know it's my last game of the season," he said yesterday

So Roeder has no say then?Ameobi once again thinking he's world class & we need him.

"I've had the hip problem for about two years now. It's degenerated badly in the past few months and will become career threatening if I don't have the operation.

Gerrin!

Edited by @yourservice

Not really, just him doing a job for the Toon no once else would do, i.e. playing when crocked. And yes, I know he's not good enough but we'd be in a better state with a fit Ameobi than we are at present.

Not really, just him doing a job for the Toon no once else would do, i.e. playing when crocked. And yes, I know he's not good enough but we'd be in a better state with a fit Ameobi than we are at present.

Agree, He's basically played with a cripling injury and given it everythign he has for no credit or thanks, when the likes of Shearer and Owen would have quite rightly told the club to stop pissing about and either get the op sorted or stop playing them when they blatantly aren't fit enough.

We all know Shola shouldn't be a first choice strker if we want to challenge the best teams but as Alex says a fit Shola would improve our current situation and under Roeder he has a strike rate of about 1 in 2.

We definatly give one of the youth players a chance how will we find out if they are any good if we leave them out even when we've got most of our strikers injured. Shola hasn't done anything good to play every week anyway

We definatly give one of the youth players a chance how will we find out if they are any good if we leave them out even when we've got most of our strikers injured. Shola hasn't done anything good to play every week anyway

Or just play Luque ?

Ok then, which ones? I haven't seen any of them play by the way. Have you? If you haven't, it's a daft thing to say imo as they could be gash or a million miles away from being ready.

Ok then, which ones? I haven't seen any of them play by the way. Have you? If you haven't, it's a daft thing to say imo as they could be gash or a million miles away from being ready.

How do we know if we havent seen I've heard people say that Troisi and Carroll are pretty good but I'm not sure tbh.

How do we know if we havent seen I've heard people say that Troisi and Carroll are pretty good but I'm not sure tbh.

My point is, how can you say play them if you haven't seen them? You can't just throw players in who aren't ready or will never be ready just to see if they are good enough. I'm no fan of Roeder but, given the current crisis, I'm sure one of them would have made the bench if they were anywhere near good enough.

O'brien has proved he's a talent & where is he now?not even on the bench after coming on a few times and showing he's got it,ok he's not a striker but there's always been something about Newcastle and the unwillingness to blood youngsters,an 18 year old made his international debut last night and it'll be a long time when an 18 year old does it for Newcastle,even with Stephen Taylor they have dilly-dallied with his appearences when he should have been in from the start,the moment they knew he had it.

My point is, how can you say play them if you haven't seen them? You can't just throw players in who aren't ready or will never be ready just to see if they are good enough. I'm no fan of Roeder but, given the current crisis, I'm sure one of them would have made the bench if they were anywhere near good enough.

We should play them in a season on Championship Manager 07 with the database of ProZone first tbh.

O'brien has proved he's a talent & where is he now?not even on the bench after coming on a few times and showing he's got it,ok he's not a striker but there's always been something about Newcastle and the unwillingness to blood youngsters,an 18 year old made his international debut last night and it'll be a long time when an 18 year old does it for Newcastle,even with Stephen Taylor they have dilly-dallied with his appearences when he should have been in from the start,the moment they knew he had it.

Not sure O'Brien has proved a thing tbh. Apart from being able to run fast. People said Kerr looked ok too iirc when in fact he was gash but had the luxury of playing in a decent side.

Not sure O'Brien has proved a thing tbh. Apart from being able to run fast. People said Kerr looked ok too iirc when in fact he was gash but had the luxury of playing in a decent side.

Where is Kerr nowadays? IMHO it tells a story about the academy that most players after leaving Newcastle not even make it at Championship level. Most of them end up very much down the leagues.

Where is Kerr nowadays? IMHO it tells a story about the academy that most players after leaving Newcastle not even make it at Championship level. Most of them end up very much down the leagues.

Motherwell

"The lack of strikers has hurt us," he said. "If you took Thierry Henry away from Arsenal and Didier Drogba away from Chelsea they wouldn't be the same teams. We've got faith in the manager and know we've got the ability to get out of this, to put a run of wins together.

Is he honestly comparing himself to them two?

Re: Kerr, I couldn't believe at the time some of the shite spouted about this kid at the time. He constantly went backwards and when he did actually cross it he was awful, yet all you'd get next day was OMG!11 WTF!!11 LOL!! KERR IS HOT!!11

He was shite.

Is he honestly comparing himself to them two?

Owen and Martins as much as himself I would guess. Still, any excuse to have a go at Shola eh?