Owen already on Tyneside???

Optimistic Nut

Strange really, Benitez sold him in the first place for £8 mil plus a player (allegedly), and now is going to eat humble pie and try to buy him back for a sum in excess of £15 mil just to pander to the whims of the board. I always thought that Rafa was his own man!

The way I see it is this:

1. Real Madrid have accepted a £17m bid from us for Michael Owen. With that in mind, they are never going to accept a bid of £8m from Liverpool, it just won't happen

2. Liverpool sold Owen for £8m last summer, he's now a year older and a year nearer to retirement, therefore if they buy him back at the fee we've offered, they've effectively just handed over £9m to Real for nothing!

3. Owen will not want to stay as 5th choice striker in the run up to a World Cup, therefore he WANTS the loan move so that he gets the best of all worlds. Realistically he knows the Liverpool move is unlikely to happen so the next bext thing for him is to be on loan at a club who want him desperately and who can offer him regular first team football and maximum exposure in the run up to the World Cup (I doubt there's a better team in that position in the world more than Newcastle United).

All sense pointed to option 3..........until we steamed in with a £17m bid. That immediately wet the appetite of Real Madrid realising that they could actually make a hell of a lot of money on a player who really, they no longer want and as a result, were no longer happy with the idea of a loan deal. Liverpool have as good as said they'll pay no more than they received for him effectively leaving him with the option of a permanent move to NUFC or stay sat on the Real bench and risk his World Cup spot...

Tough decisions for young Michael, personally I think he needs to look beyond the sentimentality of Liverpool FC and make the permanent move to SJP for the sake of his future career, but then I am biased.

The way I see it is this:

1. Real Madrid have accepted a £17m bid from us for Michael Owen. With that in mind, they are never going to accept a bid of £8m from Liverpool, it just won't happen

2. Liverpool sold Owen for £8m last summer, he's now a year older and a year nearer to retirement, therefore if they buy him back at the fee we've offered, they've effectively just handed over £9m to Real for nothing!

3. Owen will not want to stay as 5th choice striker in the run up to a World Cup, therefore he WANTS the loan move so that he gets the best of all worlds. Realistically he knows the Liverpool move is unlikely to happen so the next bext thing for him is to be on loan at a club who want him desperately and who can offer him regular first team football and maximum exposure in the run up to the World Cup (I doubt there's a better team in that position in the world more than Newcastle United).

All sense pointed to option 3..........until we steamed in with a £17m bid. That immediately wet the appetite of Real Madrid realising that they could actually make a hell of a lot of money on a player who really, they no longer want and as a result, were no longer happy with the idea of a loan deal. Liverpool have as good as said they'll pay no more than they received for him effectively leaving him with the option of a permanent move to NUFC or stay sat on the Real bench and risk his World Cup spot...

Tough decisions for young Michael, personally I think he needs to look beyond the sentimentality of Liverpool FC and make the permanent move to SJP for the sake of his future career, but then I am biased.

18912[/snapback]

Agreed, Liverpool are going to flush millions down the toilet if they sign Owen, it will almost make it worth while in my satisfaction if they beat us to his signature for that reason alone.

What if Newcastle can't wait past tomorrow and withdraw their 17m bid?

Doesn't that mean that Real will then keep him OR accept the next highest bid of maybe 7m from Liverpool?

That seems to be Liverpool's game as far as I can see. Newcastle need a striker quick and can't wait until the very last minute only to be told "sorry, but fuck off" by Owen. Hence the deadline. If not tomorro, then we move on.

L'pool then swing in a 7m pound bid (or even a loan request - it doesn't matter now that no-one else is in the running)and since Madrid has already told Owen they would "help him move if he wanted" - he'll insist on L'pool and there you go!

Unless we play the ultimate in brinksmanship and look for backup whilst simultaneously leaving the 17m bid on the Real table - I can't see us winning in this case.

so getting back on subject was owen here tonight?

18936[/snapback]

Yes, he was having a pint of creme de menth with Lord Lucan and Elvis in Wetherspoons.

Interesting quote from Fat Fred this morning.

"Real Madrid will not allow Owen to go out on loan but that is something between them and the player but I am sure that a compromise can be reached."

Could we have already spoken to Owen, who has confirmed to Fat Fred that he is willing to come on loan and no more than that, and will go back to Real Madrid to see if they'll agree this?

Just a thought anyway.

Interesting quote from Fat Fred this morning.

"Real Madrid will not allow Owen to go out on loan but that is something between them and the player but I am sure that a compromise can be reached."

Could we have already spoken to Owen, who has confirmed to Fat Fred that he is willing to come on loan and no more than that, and will go back to Real Madrid to see if they'll agree this?

Just a thought anyway.

19060[/snapback]

That would be great (yes, you heard me right - great) especially if it meant getting somebody like Kuyt too.

We could go from having no forwards to having Shearer, Owen, Luque, Kuyt, and Shola.

Sums NUFC up for me, we always have to do it the hard way.

19068[/snapback]

And Chopra :lol:

Honestly IMO Sheperd has we all know is tight with money! So if Real only accepted a bid of 17 million from us from a man who usually offers about 10 quid and then ups the offer to 11 pound 50 pence then will they accept 7 or 8 million from the pool?? Maybe they will as what would they prefer Owen in Real as the fifth choice striker getting older and slower or break even on a player? I'm undecided, I bet they are hoping he goes to Newcastle.

Edited by Toon_Crazy

Honestly IMO Sheperd has we all know is tight with money! So if Real only accepted a bid of 17 million from us from a man who usually offers about 10 quid and then ups the offer to 11 pound 50 pence then will they accept 7 or 8 million from the pool?? Maybe they will as what would they prefer Owen in Real as the fifth choice striker getting older and slower or break even on a player? I'm undecided, I bet they are hoping he goes to Newcastle.

19113[/snapback]

Not sure I really follow that.

19113[/snapback]

19120[/snapback]

:lol:

He's edited it once already too. Time for a third draft. :lol:

19113[/snapback]

19120[/snapback]

He's edited it once already too. Time for a third draft. :blink:

19121[/snapback]

Fucking dreadful.

19113[/snapback]

19120[/snapback]

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

19113[/snapback]

About 11 sir!

19113[/snapback]

19120[/snapback]

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

19134[/snapback]

It's easier to read in gangsta!

Honestly IMO Sheperd has we all knizzay is T-to-tha-izzight wit money so i can get mah pimp on! So if Real only accepted a bid of 17 million fizzle us fizzle a dawg who usually offa `bout 10 quid n then ups tha offa ta 11 pound 50 pence then will they accept 7 or 8 million fizzy tha pool?? Maybe they will as W-H-to-tha-izzat would tizzle poser Owen in Rizzle as tha fifth choice strika gett'n olda n slowa or break even on a gangsta? Im undecided, I bet they is hop'n he goes ta Newcastle dogg.

Gizoogled

19113[/snapback]

they want him to stay but wont stand in his way if he wants to leave. they wont be taken for a ride. there is no way that any club in the world will accept half of what another club is offering. that would just be stupid

Edited by jonnyhall