Torquay to dismiss diving players

MattM4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/6170066.stm

Torquay United have warned their players they face the sack if they repeatedly try to con the referee.

Chairman Chris Roberts introduced the initiative after he was left "disgusted" by players diving and feigning injury during the World Cup.

He told BBC Sport: "It's only getting worse and I sincerely believe clubs have to stand up and take reponsibility for the conduct of their players.

"I want to win football matches but I want to win matches without cheating."

Cool!

They were only diving out of the way when Toonraider's chebs got windswept. ;)

:lol: cheeky git!

But this is all very well and probably gets a few brownie points for our new chairman...yes, all whilst the club that i (and a few others) love are in freefall.....i'd much rather have some goals and a few points please!!! :):unsure:

How come it's taken him so long to tell us all - if he decided during the W.C??

Has he just taken over or summat T/R?

yeah he took over a month or so ago. I preferred Mike Bateson, better the devil you know!

Nice soundbite, and it's got his name in the papers, but it's not something he'll follow through with. Sounds like Torquay have picked themselves up a Shepherd mini-me.

I fear you may be right Gemmill :D Still its early days yet i suppose, i just cant help feeling he was on the look out for a club, any club to own, which would give him some kind of standing to enable him to launch this initiative.

Our local evening paper last night, had the sport headlines quoting MR Roberts..."I'd rather go down than cheat"

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/displayN...;pNodeId=134839

Very right and proper sentiments of course, no one really likes cheating, but he needs to pay attention to his new club or else we will be down!

Edited by Toonraider