Hobbit movie to be made without Peter Jackson

Jimbo

The decision to drop Oscar-winner Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit film has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for him to be reinstated.

A website has also been set up urging a boycott of producer New Line Cinema, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

Jackson refused to discuss a follow-up to his Lord of the Rings trilogy until a dispute about DVD royalties was over.

But New Line said it had only "limited time" and was proceeding without him.

A petition created this week on the Petition Online website - and signed by more than 1,100 people - called for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all".

The petition said that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team was not what fans wanted.

"The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said.

"Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?"

A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition.

"Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about the [legal case], which has been hanging over future Tolkein-related productions since 2005," the owner has written.

"The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter Jackson."

'Wrong guy'

Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site - thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to get on with making the movie with Jackson.

It urged people to send letters or postcards because "the only way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the studios who own the rights".

However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project was progressing.

"That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter Jackson in about five years," wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site.

"He's exactly the wrong guy to handle The Hobbit in any way shape or form."

Another, on theonering.net, said: "I'm sure The Hobbit will turn out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter Jackson."

A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the matter was "far from closed", leaving some people hoping Jackson would return.

"Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who have proven worth in telling the stories," one person wrote in the chatroom at theonering.net.

Neither New Line nor MGM was available for further comment.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh,

but my point is the film will be the same whether jackson is there or not...

I haven't got a fucking clue what you're on about tbh. I have no idea what directors or producers even do :D

Yeh,

I haven't got a fucking clue what you're on about tbh. I have no idea what directors or producers even do :D

just laugh at the geeks man :o

Sima-tastic :lol:

Yeh,

just laugh at the geeks man :o

Sima-tastic :lol:

;) Aye

PJ just has to do it!!!!!

Fucking PJ. Get a grip woman! :D

;)

Im tired and couldnt be bothered to type his full name man!!! ;)

(now you've made me type even more, you daywalker)!!! :lol:

wtf tbh? :o

These people should just

0671021311.jpg

I'm witcha bro.

All these twats screaming and stamping their feet in a big huff :D:lol: whilst reading Empire magazine and lapping it all up, as they're all cinemagraphic experts :o

I reckon Kenneth Brannagh should direct it. ;)

Edited by snakehips

What you also have to remember is that by using a different Director you'd also be using a different special effects company, costume design, locations (New Zealand would probably put their foot down and say no this time because there's no Jackson) plus some characters form LOTR appear in this one who'd probably be played by different actors. As a prequal, it would look all wrong and lack continuity.

Having said all that though, you have to remember that George Lucas only directed A New Hope out of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Geek hat off.

What you also have to remember is that by using a different Director you'd also be using a different special effects company, costume design, locations (New Zealand would probably put their foot down and say no this time because there's no Jackson) plus some characters form LOTR appear in this one who'd probably be played by different actors. As a prequal, it would look all wrong and lack continuity.

Having said all that though, you have to remember that George Lucas only directed A New Hope out of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Geek hat off.

If anyone on here is qualified to talk about 'The Hobbit' it's you tbf.

Geek hat off.

Still bitter you didn't get the Bilbo role tbh. :D

Geek hat off.

To be honest the Production Company would have it made it the same style to please the Geeks, it doesnt matter whether Jackson's there or not.

After three lord of the rings films (the probably like 300000000 hours of original footage) Peter Jackson's style is probably easy to recreate.

Geek hat off.

But Lucas was still very much involved with the others, wasn't he?

PJ just has to do it!!!!!

Fucking PJ. Get a grip woman! :D

;)

Im tired and couldnt be bothered to type his full name man!!! B)

(now you've made me type even more, you daywalker)!!! :o

wtf tbh? ;)

ooppss, that sort of popped out, it was posted on a forum i use, quite funny.....about ginners :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0TcYbQFdfo