Clark or Roeder: Who is telling the truth ?

Jimbo

A week after Lee Clark slated Luque's efforts on the training ground, comes this little gem from Glenn Roeder:

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder says he has not given up on out-of-favour striker Albert Luque.

The Spaniard has endured a nightmare spell with The Magpies since his £10 million move from Deportivo La Coruna back in August 2005.

The 28-year-old's situation has prompted speculation that Luque will leave the North East giants in the January transfer window, with French club Bordeaux and Spanish side Real Betis having been linked recently with the marksman.

Despite the reported uncertainty over Luque's future, Roeder hopes Thursday's Uefa Cup home clash with Spanish Primera Liga side Celta Vigo will allow the striker the chance to turn his season around.

"I would never give up on a player and I haven't given on Albert - that would be poor management," Roeder said in the Daily Star.

"He must be frustrated at how it's gone here after what he achieved in Spain, but in the last few weeks, I've noticed a big improvement in him.

"I've not found him to be a bad pro, he is a decent enough lad and he is now working really hard in training.

"As a manager, you're always looking for games that might give players an edge and get their juices flowing.

"For Albert, this is one against a side who used to be local rivals. I'm sure he's thinking 'I'd love to play against them'.

"Maybe this is the one performance that can make it all fall into place for him."

Luque's team-mate Nolberto Solano has echoed the sentiments of Roeder, claiming Luque would relish facing Celta on Thursday.

"Albert's had some very hard times here, but I think he'll get his chance and I know he'd love to play, especially against a Spanish team," Solano said in The Sun.

"He wants to prove to the manager what he can do, he's waiting for his chance. He's a great team-mate and someone who smiles all the time.

"He's been low but all he wants is the chance to show the manager he can be a success."

I picked up on that as well. Judging him on what I have seen, I tend to believe Clarky is more accurate, but then I wouldnt expect GR to slate him (Luque) in the press. Maybe he is trying to build him up as he is going to get a game.

I picked up on that as well. Judging him on what I have seen, I tend to believe Clarky is more accurate, but then I wouldnt expect GR to slate him (Luque) in the press. Maybe he is trying to build him up as he is going to get a game.

Yeah, then the lad will score, and be dropped for another 3 weeks.

Guest Patrokles

Yeah, then the lad will score, and be dropped for another 3 weeks.

Or perhaps he'll be really shit and keeping falling over for no reason.

Or perhaps we should play him in the following 4/5 games and see what he is really capable of?

His value can't plummet much more, Roeders handling is straight from the Souness guide to financial suicide.

We have no fit strikers apart from Martins, and a kid on loan from Man U who's away back in 4 weeks.

Common sense says give the kid a run, he at least knows where the goal is and by not leaving him languishing in the reserves, we might just boost his price up a bit if we flog him on in January.

As it stands, he has minimal resale value.

Guest Patrokles

Or perhaps we should play him in the following 4/5 games and see what he is really capable of?

His value can't plummet much more, Roeders handling is straight from the Souness guide to financial suicide.

We have no fit strikers apart from Martins, and a kid on loan from Man U who's away back in 4 weeks.

Common sense says give the kid a run, he at least knows where the goal is and by not leaving him languishing in the reserves, we might just boost his price up a bit if we flog him on in January.

I don't know whether common sense says that at all.

I don't give a fuck about his resale value or that he might come good.

We're in a relegation battle, and at the moment, he's the worst striking option we have. Fuck him, and fuck the 9million, it's not like we've never pissed money away before. He's shit, so no need to play him. Oba, Dyer and Sibierski are rightfully ahead of him.

I don't give a fuck about his resale value or that he might come good.

We're in a relegation battle, and at the moment, he's the worst striking option we have. Fuck him, and fuck the 9million, it's not like we've never pissed money away before. He's shit, so no need to play him. Oba, Dyer and Sibierski are rightfully ahead of him.

Exactly. Just outside the relegation zone is not the time to be giving a waster a go to see if he comes good. If he doesn't we might just find ourselves back in the relegation zone. No thanks.

Agreed, my argument 2 weeks ago though was that none of the above were available and he still didnt get a game, all 3 should start ahead of him, it was a good corner for Taylors goal however I cant remember seeing much else from him other than that.

If you can get 2 from the 3 mentioned above then Im happy to see him take his seat on the bench, when the only other option is Duff then I want to see him play.

i'm sorry isn't that exactly what owen plays like? does fuck all for most of the game then has his 1 or 2 touches that wins us it, mostly a goal but also that cross that is just right.

i don't know correct me if i'm wrong please

i'm sorry isn't that exactly what owen plays like? does fuck all for most of the game then has his 1 or 2 touches that wins us it, mostly a goal but also that cross that is just right.

If you're trying to say Luque is as effective as Owen, then yes you are wrong.

There is a world of difference between Michael Owen and Luque. Owen is worth having in the team when he doesn't score. Luque is barely worth having in the team when he does.

Exactly. Just outside the relegation zone is not the time to be giving a waster a go to see if he comes good. If he doesn't we might just find ourselves back in the relegation zone. No thanks.

We'll stick with our other under-performing strikers then who have worked tremendously hard to get us into 17th place then.

We'll stick with our other under-performing strikers then who have worked tremendously hard to get us into 17th place then.

No, you're right. Let's change things around and play a bloke that doesn't look interested and who has no heart for the fight. He'll save us from relegation. It's all so clear to me now.

Let's change things around and play a bloke that doesn't look interested

Due to lack of games and fucking piss-poor management by Roeder.

He's a professional footballer. Not looking interested is not in the job description.