James Milner

WashyMag

Whilst I don't want to take anything away from the lad I must admit i find James Milner frustrating to watch.

Pat Nevin was prattling on about him being the danger man and whilst you must give Milner credit for putting the cross in for Luque v Palermo and for the Sib last night, overall he was quite poor.

For me he has an average first touch, a weak shot, looks clumsy with the ball at feet and doesn't have the pace of guile to go past a man...

He's honest and he'll have a go in possession. DS's assessment is pretty much how I see him though. He is still only 20 I suppose but I think a lack of pace will be a big problem unless he develops into a more central player.

He's not got enough pace. He does beat his man, but three strides later they've caught him up and are hanging out a leg to block his cross. Fortunately his patented weak grasscutter crosses go straight under their block attempts most of the time but they also go behind our strikers.

He's not got enough pace. He does beat his man, but three strides later they've caught him up and are hanging out a leg to block his cross. Fortunately his patented weak grasscutter crosses go straight under their block attempts most of the time but they also go behind our strikers.

I thought he did really well last night and he surely beats more people than Duff.

I don't mind him Parky. I think he's been ok so far this season and I don't really want to see him leave in January. He's still got no pace though.

He needs to work on his shooting as well. I wonder if GR has individual training regimes??

I still can't fathom why Martins starting position is on the left.....A player who is only left footed, should have his starting postion (for runs) on the right, this is the modern way ie Messi being swapped by Rijkaard last year.

The way it is he has to cut back on himself and away from goal to get a shot off......Does GR look at these things??

I don't mind him Parky. I think he's been ok so far this season and I don't really want to see him leave in January. He's still got no pace though.

He needs to work on his shooting as well. I wonder if GR has individual training regimes??

I still can't fathom why Martins starting position is on the left.....A player who is only left footed, should have his starting postion (for runs) on the right, this is the modern way ie Messi being swapped by Rijkaard last year.

The way it is he has to cut back on himself and away from goal to get a shot off......Does GR look at these things??

think milner is a poor footballer at the level we aspire to be. Nowhere near good enough and going back a few seasons he wouldnt have made it as a squad player (i.e. getting on the bench regularly)

At the moment he is a promising young talent. With great training, he could be a super player in his prime imo.

Thats what scares me, the likes of Milner and Taylor should be great prospects for the future but I fear they will be corupted by the dross around them and the shite coaching.

At the moment he is a promising young talent. With great training, he could be a super player in his prime imo.

Thats what scares me, the likes of Milner and Taylor should be great prospects for the future but I fear they will be corupted by the dross around them and the shite coaching.

Yup, that's why I said that.

Depressing really.

Cant believe some of this.

He is only 20 for gods sake. Wont be at his best until 27. Plenty years for improvement.

True he's only 20 but when you consider the likes of Pele, Best, Edwards, even Rooney etc etc who were brilliant when less than twenty you can't always make excuses because of age.

Inccidently, Best was past his best at 27.

He is only 20 for gods sake. Wont be at his best until 27. Plenty years for improvement.

True he's only 20 but when you consider the likes of Pele, Best, Edwards, even Rooney etc etc who were brilliant when less than twenty you can't always make excuses because of age.

it was more of a guide. ;)

Some people develop at different ages. To write someone off at 20 when he seems to have a lot of potential is a bit harsh IMO. I think thats part of the problem in modern day football though. If they arent as good as rooney when he was 18 then he is crap. Ian Wright didnt even play professional football until he was 26ish.

it was more of a guide. ;)

Some people develop at different ages. To write someone off at 20 when he seems to have a lot of potential is a bit harsh IMO. I think thats part of the problem in modern day football though. If they arent as good as rooney when he was 18 then he is crap. Ian Wright didnt even play professional football until he was 26ish.

Oh dear, I hate correcting people, don't you? :icon_lol:

Ian Wright was 21 going on 22 when he signed pro forms with Crystal Palace.

it was more of a guide. :icon_lol:

Oh dear, I hate correcting people, don't you? :nufc:

I may have got that mixed up with playing TOP FLIGHT FOOTBALL then.... ;)

But thanks for proving my point anyway.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Oh dear, you may have got mixed-up, well well well :nufc: Why is it people can't admit they made a mistake when trying to make a point.

Edited by Noelie

Oh dear, you may have got mixed-up, well well well :nufc: Why is it people can't admit they made a mistake when trying to make a point.

i just did... :nufc: