Laptop and External dvd drive help

The Mighty Hog

Right this has me totally loopy, I've tried working this out with no success. Me mother bought a second hand Dell Latitude CSx laptop and it came with an external Sunday dvd rom drive. The drive connects to the laptop using a pcmcia card that slots in the side. Now here's the problem. There is power getting to the external unit becasue when I put a cd in it hums and turns the cd as if reading it. However nothing shows up on the laptop.

There is something you can do in Windows where you can look at any connected pieces of hardware on your computer. What you then do is delete the ones that are currently there relating to the DVD drive, and then tell it to scan for new hardware and it will reinstall the drivers for the DVD drive. The only problem is I can't remember how you access this page in Windows. :calmdown:

To access it, right-click My Computer and from the menu select 'Manage'

Computer Management should fire up and in the tree on the left hand pane, you need to look in System Tools > Device Manager

Possibly....

The laptop may need the BIOS settings updating in order for it to know that the drive is now attached.

If that is not the case then I suspect it'll need a driver file which will need to be run in order for the machine to be able to see it. (probably available on the web).

Do you know if this an 'after-market' drive or one that was shipped with the laptop? If it's the latter, it's worth scrolling through Google groups as it's likely someone else has come across a similar issue...