CBGBs to shut!

Kid Dynamite

NY Punk Venue CBGB Faces Closure Over Unpaid Rent

Published: March 7, 2005

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York's legendary rock club CBGB, which helped launch everybody from Blondie to the Ramones, faces closure if it does not resolve a dispute over unpaid rent with the homeless charity that owns the building.

Club owner Hilly Kristal said the dispute dated from 2001, when the landlord presented a $300,000 bill for unpaid rent.

Though most of that has now been repaid, the club was handed another bill earlier this year for $76,000 which CBGB has not paid. The club's lease comes to an end in August and talks on renewal are stalled.

"The real thing is they don't want me back," Kristal said, adding that there had been a series of disagreements over renovations and building certificates in recent years.

CBGB, which stands for "country, bluegrass and blues" even though it is most famous for punk music, rents its downtown space from the Bowery Residents' Committee -- a non-profit organization that runs a homeless shelter above the premises.

"I am not going to subsidize CBGB at the expense of homeless people," Muzzy Rosenblatt, executive director for the organization, was quoted as saying in The New York Times.

MTV's Web site quoted him as saying CBGB had not met its obligations on safety.

The Committee wants to double the rent and negotiations over a new lease have ground to a halt amid legal wrangling that will result in a court hearing later this month.

Kristal, who founded the club in 1973, converting what had been a Hell's Angels hangout into one of the most famous venues for live music in the city, said he would fight closure of what he called a New York City institution.

"We've established something here. ... This is a kind of symbol of helping young musicians and new artists," he said, recalling early gigs by the likes of Pearl Jam.

"I think we do a nice thing for a lot of people; maybe it's not quite as wonderful as helping the homeless but it has its benefits," Kristal said.

Rosenblatt could not be immediately reached for comment.

I know its old news now like but just found out. trying to see if i can find out what actually happened. its almost as legendary as the mayfair, you cant shut it!

never heard of it to be quite honest

anywya its what 's played inside that's important - not the building..............

19326[/snapback]

It's a canny famous venue like. Obviously not quite what the Mayfair was :lol:

THE venue for 70s and 80s punk and hardcore. ramones to blondie to nirvana all started out there. tiny little building in manhattan and they are being ripped off by the shelter above them. to get an idea of how many bands owe this place heres a list of bands playing benefit concerts there over the next 2 months

8/7 Doors @ 5pm $10

AWKWARD THOUGHT, URBAN RIOT, STEP2FAR, NUTS&BOLTS, THE TURNPIKE WRECKS, STATE OF DISGRACE

8/8 $10

8:30: The Modern, 9:15: Gracer, 10:00: Like Yesterday, 10:45: Fight of your Life, 11:30: The Benjamins

8/9

APHASIA, SHORTIE

8/10

AGAINST ME, THE EXIT, WORLD INFERNO FRIENDSHIP SOCIETY

8/11 $10

you-NE-ZNIYOO, KUKURUDU, JIM TESTA(OF JERSEY BEAT), HETEROGENE, DOWNSHALLOW, CREWMAN NUMBER SIX, HIGH SPEED CHASE, PALE HORSE, DIESEL THEORY, THE SILENCE KIT, END OF OCTOBER

8/12 Doors @ 8pm $30

MISFITS

8/13 $15

VANS WARPED TOUR AFTER PARTY - Hawthorne Heights, Funeral For A Friend, Saosin, The Receiving End of Sirens, Hit The Lights

8/14 Doors @ 3pm $30

GORILLA BISCUITS, BLACK TRAIN JACK, KILL YOUR IDOLS

8/15 Doors @ 7pm $20

RAW POWER, EYE HATE GOD, UPPERCUT

8/16 Doors @ 7pm $30

8:00-8:45 pm A Wilhelm Scream, 9:00-9:45 pm Theo and the Skyscrapers,10:15 pm The Offspring

8/17

TBA

8/19 Doors @ 7pm $35

LIVING COLOUR

8/20 Doors @ 7pm $25

THE VANDALS, JERRY'S KIDS, MIDNIGHT CREEPS

8/21

BATTALION OF SAINTS, BLANKS 77

8/22 Doors @ 7pm $20

KID DYNAMITE, GREYAREA

8/23

SEEMLESS (ex Killswitch engage & Shadows fall), BLINDSIDE, FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE, (exreach454) , LIKE YESTERDAY & more Tba and special guest jam

8/25 Doors @ 7pm $20

THURSDAY, WE'RE ALL BROKEN, BLACKOUT PACK

8/26 Doors @ 7pm $35

DEAD BOYS, FLIPPER, PETER AND THE TEST TUBE BABIES, ADRENALIN O.D. , FURIOUS GEORGE

8/27 Doors @ 7pm $35

DEAD BOYS, ANTI-NOWHERE LEAGUE, NIHILISTICS, SFA, STIMULATORS

8/28 Doors @ 7pm $25

SHAM 69, FLIPPER, CHEETAH CHROME & THE BLACK ANGELS, WALTER LURE(OF THE HEARTBREAKERS)W/THE WALDOS, SUICIDE KINGS

8/29 Doors @ 7pm $25

SHAM 69, THE RADICTS, YOUTH BRIGADE, THE QUEERS

8/30 $20

BOUNCING SOULS, WITH SPECIAL GUEST TBA

SEPTEMBER

9/1 $25

CONFLICT, VERBAL ABUSE, LOST CHERREES, THE ARSONS

9/2 $25

CONFLICT, LOST CHERREES, PROUDFLESH/CRUCIFIX

9/3 $20

TODAY IS THE DAY, HARLEY'S WAR Featuring Harley Flanagan and Hard core Allstars and special cromag guests!!! Playing ALL "ORIGINAL CRO-MAGS AND HARLEY'S WAR SONGS!!!!, CIRCLE OF DEAD CHILDREN, ADOLYNE, DISASTER STRIKES

9/4 $20

SICK OF IT ALL, FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, MOST PRECIOUS BLOOD

9/6

ILL REPUTE, DAYGLO ABORTIONS

9/7

ILL REPUTE

9/8 Doors @ 7pm $25

THE EXPLOITED, FINAL CONFLICT, OLD SKULL(REUNION SHOW), DISASSOCIATE

9/9 $40

CIRCLE JERKS, ADOLESCENTS, D.I. , CHANNEL 3, ZERO BOYS, ELECTRIC FRANKENSTEIN

9/10 $40

CIRCLE JERKS, D.I. , ADOLESCENTS, CHANNEL 3, 45 GRAVE

9/11

J MASCIS FROM DINOSAUR JR. SOLO ACT

9/23 $20

DEAD MEN WALKING: FEATURING- SLIM JIM PHANTOM OF THE STRAY CATS, MIKE

PETERS OF THE ALARM, CAPTAIN SENSIBLE OF THE DAMNED, KIRK BRANDON OF THEATRE OF HATE/SPEAR OF DESTINY

9/28

HELMET

never heard of it to be quite honest

anywya its what 's played inside that's important - not the building..............

19326[/snapback]

It's a canny famous venue like. Obviously not quite what the Mayfair was :lol:

19328[/snapback]

the Mayfair was a venue in my AUNTIE's time....................... then they spoilt it by putting in the gas lighting....................

i remember being a kid and wanting so much to be 18 so i could go to the rock night there. then the cunts shut it down just as i was about old enough! we need to bring back a real rock/punk venue in town! down at the bottom of nortumberland street, just past the fire station there are a few old buildings up for rent. who wants to lend me some money! its the only place left in the city centre shitty enough to put it!

The '8 a huit' by us purports to open from 8am to 8pm but in fact open at 8.30 and close at 7.45pm and they close for lunch for about 3 hours.

Aww - they can't close CBGBs!!! All my mates have played there, and I've always wanted to one day go and see them there. The closest I've got is walking by it. Which isn't really the same!

Plus, I love the name. I know I'm easily pleased, but saying "CBGBs" makes me feel happy inside. It's fun.