Tyne Bridge

catmag

Has been closed for the last hour and a half in both directions - traffic is mental. I know Snow Patrol are on at the Arena tonight so if anyone was planning on heading into town by car over the bridge, you might want to think again.

Swing bridge only taking traffic from Gateshead>>Newcastle and not the other way. Everything else being diverted to the Redheugh. It's gridlocked out there, folks!

Why are so many people want to jump the Tyne Bridge and try and suicide themselves these days?

.......yeah, i mean like, Snow Patrol arent that bad :)

Honestly though, i'd have loved to see them.

Hey, as long as those people who are contemplating suicide do it in their own homes and don't disrupt everyone else's day eh?

Yes, it causes disruption, but so does being so completely fucking screwed up in the head that you feel like you've no other option that to kill yourself.

Guest Toplass-101

Why are so many people want to jump the Tyne Bridge and try and suicide themselves these days?

.......yeah, i mean like, Snow Patrol arent that bad :o

Wish they would use the High Level, as its closed anyways they can get on ending their lives, and not inconvenience ours, he/she totally cocked up my night tonight.

TR If you have cable, go on BBC2 and press the red button, their concert that plays on a loop so you can watch it anytime you fancy. Its not quite like being though, they were class :)

.......yeah, i mean like, Snow Patrol arent that bad :)

People jumping to their death off a bridge, THAT'S JUST WRONG! :o

Wish they would use the High Level, as its closed anyways they can get on ending their lives, and not inconvenience ours, he/she totally cocked up my night tonight.

Well said. Jumping off the High Level = proper suicide....jumping of the Tyne Bridge = attention seeking.

.......yeah, i mean like, Snow Patrol arent that bad :o

TR If you have cable, go on BBC2 and press the red button, their concert that plays on a loop so you can watch it anytime you fancy. Its not quite like being though, they were class :)

Cheers TL...i have sky, but i assume it works on that.

Working next to the Tyne Bridge I see quite a lot of jumpers and non-jumpers. My colleagues said "Get on with it" to one a couple of years ago and a second later he jumped, but actually survived (first time I have ever heard of a survivor). Another time another colleague was on the quayside when someone hit the concrete and was strawberry jammed yards away from her.

There's a film which shows several suicides from the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, isn't there? The film maker goes back and tracks their lives to try and work out what led them to do it, sounds interesting.

We have had several jumpers over the last few years here in Torquay and Newton Abbot off the multi storey car parks, now the one in Newton has had fencing built all around the top levels to stop this. It looks a right eye-sore, but the last person who jumped from there actualy landed on a person and killed her too :)

We have had several jumpers over the last few years here in Torquay and Newton Abbot off the multi storey car parks, now the one in Newton has had fencing built all around the top levels to stop this. It looks a right eye-sore, but the last person who jumped from there actualy landed on a person and killed her too :)

Shit. :o

Jesus, that's sick. I've always thought that killing yourself in front of other people, e.g. by jumping in front of a packed train full of commuters or something to that effect, is the ultimate act of egoism. If you want to commit suicide, at least don't drag other people into it.

Jesus, that's sick. I've always thought that killing yourself in front of other people, e.g. by jumping in front of a packed train full of commuters or something to that effect, is the ultimate act of egoism. If you want to commit suicide, at least don't drag other people into it.

Not sure about that, I guess their minds must be pretty screwed up to actually kill themselves. But people who close the Tyne Bridge during rush hour and then don't jump - well personally I'd push them off.

We have had several jumpers over the last few years here in Torquay and Newton Abbot off the multi storey car parks, now the one in Newton has had fencing built all around the top levels to stop this. It looks a right eye-sore, but the last person who jumped from there actualy landed on a person and killed her too :(

Shit. :D

Happened to a few unfortunate firemen entering the WTC on 9/11 I think.

• 8 months later...

Tyne Bridge closed both ways at the moment due to an ongoing police incident (jumper probably) so if anyone is planning on using it then keep an ear out for the travel news. Metro FM doing fairly regular updates. I'm taking 2 coachloads of kids to Lourdes this morning and we're leaving from the middle of town in a bit. It going to be chaos if none of them can get over the bridge :icon_lol: