Most hated NUFC player...

Matty

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, out of a back four of Beresford, Albert, Peacock, Barton, Peacock was always the weakest.

Albert was mint

Beresford was alright

Barton was passable

Albert was ok but his lack of pace always let him down. Peacock was often left with no cover when Albert bombed on too. Peacock and Steve Howey were the best pairing by a distance. Met Bryan Robson in a pub about 6 games into that season (1995-6) and he reckoned the reason we wouldnt win it was down the fullbacks. He was right in the end.

Yes. Robbo was right about that, but for my money I never rated Peacock ahead of other centrebacks such as Howey and Albert. You may be right and he was always unfortunate to be caught on his own at the back, but I always remember him being generally too slow to respod to oncoming attackers, and being caught out of position a lot.

Yes. Robbo was right about that, but for my money I never rated Peacock ahead of other centrebacks such as Howey and Albert. You may be right and he was always unfortunate to be caught on his own at the back, but I always remember him being generally too slow to respod to oncoming attackers, and being caught out of position a lot.

Warren Barton was a joke to be honest. He had one good season at left back under Gullit. The rest of the time he was shocking. Peacock had a bad start but won over the fans in the end.

Warren Barton was a joke to be honest. He had one good season at left back under Gullit. The rest of the time he was shocking. Peacock had a bad start but won over the fans in the end.

Did Warren Barton play left back under Gullit? Barton was a funny situation. We bought him cos he was English for a ridiculous fee (and not the first time Wimbledon stitched us up). Not long after the laws on foreign players changed and it looked even worse. He was loyal and tried his best, never hid but in the end he wasnt up to it. That is why I get irritated with people who get excited about player who 'get stuck in'. The likes if Milner, Ramage et al always try hard but simply dont possess the tools to get us where I would like us to be.

Never 'hated' our own players as such, if someone is shit it's not their fault. Although I've lost patience with a few who just obviously stopped putting the effort in and don't want to be out there. Robert springs to mind.