Squad stretched further by injury toll

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder faces going to reigning champions Chelsea without a recognised right-back after an injury to Nolberto Solano.

The Peruvian has been a revelation as an emergency full-back in the absence of Stephen Carr, but he limped off in the second half of Saturday's victory at Blackburn Rovers with a groin strain and is unlikely to figure either at Stamford Bridge or in the home game against Watford next weekend. Carr is not expected back for at least another week, so Roeder must decide whether to play James Milner there as he did when Solano first went off, or hand 19-year-old Paul Huntington his first start for the club after the youngster came on and did well in the closing stages of Saturday's victory.

Both Peter Ramage and Steven Taylor were given their first-team debuts at full-back and the young central defensive pair earned praise from Roeder after the weekend win. "We got off to the worst possible start in the second half as Blackburn went for it," said Roeder, whose side were penned back for long spells after Morten Gamst Pedersen had made it 2-1 just after half time.

"I thought our two centre-halves stood up to the challenge very well. Hopefully, over the next few weeks they're going to get better. They'll have the chance because Titus (Bramble) is out for a few weeks and so is Craig Moore. I'll be looking for them to build on that performance today because I was pleased with them. It needed strong defending from good deliveries into the box."

With six points from their last two league games, Newcastle can travel with confidence to Chelsea on Wednesday, although Roeder's squad has been stretched further as a result of the injuries to Solano, Emre and Antoine Sibierski. None are thought to be too serious, although all three are a doubt for Wednesday's visit to west London.

Roeder said: "We've lost one in 12 and confidence is high. There's nothing better for confidence than winning and when you're winning, it makes my job easier.

"Solano feels he's hurt his groin. I think we can definitely say he will be out next week.

"Emre, we'll wait and see. Sibierski, we're hoping that might just have been tiredness and cramp. If too many more drop out, we'll be going to Chelsea with the youth team."

i'm in with the home fans for the chelsea game. could be another painful one.

*winces*

Brave man! This is one to listen to on the wireless, alone in a darkened room tbh.

i was in the same seats for the league cup game last year. it was a horrible night, watching shearer on his last legs and having to them bleat their 'that's why we're champions' ditty ALL BASTARD NIGHT

I'd even take the opportunity to give Sibs and Emre the day off. Play a bare bones squad, Huntington, Pattison, O'Brien given their chance.

At worst we'll get beaten soundly, at best we get beaten and put in a good display. <_<

Any similarities to when we played at OT a couple of years back with a very youthful squad due to injurues? Rammy and Ambrose started and Carr was in midfield.

As Fish says, I'd be happy to see the young lads go out and play out of their skins regardless of the result. There isn't anything to lose as such out there, as we have such a shattered squad against the reigning chmapions trying to close an 8 point gap.

Should be a no hoper, anything better than a trashing is a positive!

while we're on the subject, what the fuck is it with newcastle and injuries?

can anyone remember a season in the past ten years or so when we haven't been near the top of the premiership sicknote charts?

same old every season tbh.

genuinely believe it's got something to do with the kind of soil/pitch we play/train on.

do our injuries compare to Sunderlands?

I don't count Boro because they're insulated by a thick layer of pollution.

I don't think enough of our injuries are the type from just playing on the wrong surface, although I wish it was.

Have a look at a few of the injuries :

T Bramble calf

K Dyer gashed leg

S Harper sports hernia

S Parker back

D Duff knee

C Moore hamstring

O Bernard hip

T Krul knee

S Carr bruised toe

S Ameobi hip

M Owen knee (ACL)

N Solano groin

A Sibierski hamstring

B Emre ankle

Bramble : injured after Pompey I think. Could easily be down to our surface due to the injury.

Dyer : gashed leg. Nowt to do with muscular problems for once.

Bernard/Ameobi : similar hip injuries. No idea how they got these.

Carr : fat git

Harper : not sure when he did his injury. Could be down to the training surface though.

Parker : got a knee or something in the back didn't he?

Moore/Duff/Emre/Solano/Sibierski/Krul/Owen : all injured away from St. James, although I know that wear and tear at home could contribute.

While we have a shit load of injuries, not too many are muscular. Not having another dig at Souey, but I think under him, almost every injury seemed to be hammy's or muscle tears.

I still have nightmares about us falling apart in Sporting Lisbon.

Edited by Barney

I've heard Barnard has more of a problem with his nose than his hip!

That would make sense like. He's gone from being a very good Premiership left-back to a no hoper in no time.

genuinely believe it's got something to do with the kind of soil/pitch we play/train on.

Graeme? Is it you?

As Barney has pointed out this year our injuries are very mixed and many come from injuries picked up in matches. This is totally different to the large amount of muscle injuries under the tosser picked up in training and in matches when under the shit coaching of the tosser.

Graeme? Is it you?

As Barney has pointed out this year our injuries are very mixed and many come from injuries picked up in matches. This is totally different to the large amount of muscle injuries under the tosser picked up in training and in matches when under the shit coaching of the tosser.

Didnt Robbie Fowler say in his autobiography that the players hated Souey and woould feign injury so they didnt have to play for him (when at Liverpool) ? <_<

.com

Knackered: Owen, Ameobi, Carr, Moore, Bramble, Parker, Harper, Krul.

Doubtful: Sibierski, Solano, Duff, Dyer, Emre.

OK: Given, Ramage, Taylor, Butt, Milner, N'Zogbia, Martins, Rossi, Luque, Srnicek, Carroll, Pattison, Huntington, Troisi, Gate, Edgar.

Suspensions: Babayaro???

I think it’ll be something like the formation against Frankfurt.

Team v Chelsea

Given

Ramage Taylor Huntington N’Zogbia

Butt

Rossi Milner Pattison Luque

Martins

Subs: Srnicek, Carroll, Troisi, Edgar, Gate.

.com

Knackered: Owen, Ameobi, Carr, Moore, Bramble, Parker, Harper, Krul.

Doubtful: Sibierski, Solano, Duff, Dyer, Emre.

OK: Given, Ramage, Taylor, Butt, Milner, N'Zogbia, Martins, Rossi, Luque, Srnicek, Carroll, Pattison, Huntington, Troisi, Gate, Edgar.

Suspensions: Babayaro???

I think it’ll be something like the formation against Frankfurt.

Team v Chelsea

Given

Ramage Taylor Huntington N’Zogbia

Butt

Rossi Milner Pattison Luque

Martins

Subs: Srnicek, Carroll, Troisi, Edgar, Gate.

Sweet Jesus. <_<