Official Match Thread: Newcastle United Vs Chelsea

Jimbo

0200658168000mq2.jpg

SCOTT PARKER reckons he can cope with the abusive texts from Alan Shearer if it means lifting a major trophy for Newcastle.

Toon skipper Parker faces old club Chelsea tonight with a place in the Carling Cup semi-finals at stake.

He took over the armband from the Geordie legend only in the summer and is already going to get his hands on the Intertoto Cup next year.

And Parker reckons Shearer, who tried for a full decade to bring silverware to his hometown club, would have some choice words to say if they won the Carling Cup as well.

He said: “It would be a great irony if we won something with me as captain after Alan was here so long and didn’t manage to. If we did, I would probably get a naughty text from him.

“If you’re going to win the competition, you have to play the big boys — whether you play them now or in the final.

“If we do get the result here it will give us great confidence to go on and win it.”

With Chelsea aiming for a third league title and also going well in the Champions League, the Carling Cup may not be a priority.

But Parker, who helped the Blues win the competition in 2005, is sure boss Jose Mourinho will be desperate to lift the trophy again.

The midfielder said: “He won it in his first season when I was there. It’s one he sees as another cup to win.

He doesn’t like losing, so he’s not going to come here and roll over.”

Newcastle will be without winger Charles N’Zogbia, who could now be out for six weeks with a knee injury.

Mourinho makes Carling Cup pledge

Jose Mourinho warned Newcastle not to underestimate Chelsea in their Carling Cup quarter-final even though the Blues boss will field a weakened side.

Mourinho said: "I'm going to rest some players, that's obvious. People think we have a massive squad. It's not true.

"Our squad is short and we have some problems. We've Wigan away on Saturday, so I'll make some changes.

"We won the Carling Cup two years ago. We're in the last eight and we're not going to give a present to Newcastle."

Mourinho added: "We're going there with some fresh players but I hope we can get a result."

Meanwhile Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder is hoping his side's gutsy display against Chelsea in the league last week will spur on the Magpies in their Carling Cup encounter with the Blues.

"I hope the players get confidence from that fact," said Roeder, referring to the 1-0 away defeat in the Premiership.

"But you never get - and never will get - two games exactly the same.

"Chelsea will be as keen to go through to the semi-finals as we are. Jose Mourinho has always treated this cup with respect," added Roeder.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how ugly is milner?

About as ugly as most of the rest of the squad.

Anyway, what abusive texts? Am I missing something? :icon_lol:

Shepherd has just released a press statement insisting Shearer will not be sending naughty texts to anyone.

how ugly is milner?

About as ugly as most of the rest of the squad.

Anyway, what abusive texts? Am I missing something? :icon_lol:

that was a bit risque from scott mind wasnt it? And didnt the texts come from bellamy to Shearer and not the other way round? Hmmm perhaps we dont knwo the whole story eh :D

They normally save photos like that til the final, then plaster a Millennium Stadium size blow up on the wall of the stadium.

Think we've got a chance tonight i'm pretty confident. Fucked off though that its my best mates 21st tonight so i'm missing it.

They normally save photos like that til the final, then plaster a Millennium Stadium size blow up on the wall of the stadium.

Think we've got a chance tonight i'm pretty confident. Fucked off though that its my best mates 21st tonight so i'm missing it.

I think we''ll win due to the fact we played them last week may settle a lot of nerves,build the confidence needed and we are at home................................. :icon_lol:

No Terry will be a big boost for us, we seen when Chelsea played Everton how Belarouz (sp?) struggled against Johnson.

Knowing Boulahrouz he will kick one of our strikers into Dr. Steadmans arms if he is struggling again...