'merica

snakehips

DON'T

I know people who were given bucket loads of shit because they didn't have THE EXACT address of their hotel - and not just a Post Office Box number either

Yeah, because like dipshits they owned up to it. :calmdown: I just wrote 1000 Broadway, San Francisco CA 94121 or something like that. They were none the wiser.

They ask all those stupid questions as well, 'Do you plan to overthrow the US government?'

A friend of my mum answered 'sole purpose of visit'. :calmdown:

It was years ago, well before 9/11 so he didn't get in too much bother over it.

Edited by luckyluke

TBH the hotels in NYC can be atrocious, but I had really good luck going thru a booking on www.redwhiteandblue.com. The hotel was a 2 minute walk from Times Square and if you want posher digs they offer reasonably priced upgrades. Worth looking into I think- stay out of lodging in Queens or the Bronx, most anything in Manhatten is nice and you'll be close to all the touristy things.

DON'T

I know people who were given bucket loads of shit because they didn't have THE EXACT address of their hotel - and not just a Post Office Box number either

US Immigration are one of the worst in the world - they REALLY don't like visitors and if they are in a strop they will look for blue ink when you should use black, exact saddreses, everything written INSIDE the correct box ... or else

Sadly this is very accurate- they're complete twats to anyone. The last time I travelled I had one customs official arguing with me as he didn't believe I was american. Just a tad bit frustrating and surreal. Make sure you have any and all liquids (hair care stuff, makeup for the missus) in clear sealed plastic bags and play it safe by travelling with it in your main suitcase, not in carryon luggage. They are beyond strict and will confiscate and dispose of anything that doesn't follow the US airsafety regs.

DON'T

US Immigration are one of the worst in the world - they REALLY don't like visitors and if they are in a strop they will look for blue ink when you should use black, exact saddreses, everything written INSIDE the correct box ... or else

Sadly this is very accurate- they're complete twats to anyone. The last time I travelled I had one customs official arguing with me as he didn't believe I was american. Just a tad bit frustrating and surreal. Make sure you have any and all liquids (hair care stuff, makeup for the missus) in clear sealed plastic bags and play it safe by travelling with it in your main suitcase, not in carryon luggage. They are beyond strict and will confiscate and dispose of anything that doesn't follow the US airsafety regs.

In the Seattle airport, incoming passengers at customs are directed to one of two queues: One entitled US citizens, the other entitled 'Aliens'. Says it all tbh.

DON'T

In the Seattle airport, incoming passengers at customs are directed to one of two queues: One entitled US citizens, the other entitled 'Aliens'. Says it all tbh.

So Men In Black was more than just a film then? :calmdown:

DON'T

So Men In Black was more than just a film then? :calmdown:

Yes, there was an instantly forgettable sequel as well. :blink:

Used to live in both Manhattan and Las Vegas - currently live in New Orleans.

I might be biased, but I reckon all 3 are absolute musts.

NYC is, for me, one of the best, most exciting places I've ever been. The place just has a certain energy that's difficult to describe, but very intoxicating. Expensive compared to the rest of the USA, but make the most of the exchange rate & stay somewhere really nice.

Vegas is a crazy place; I lived there for 2 years and had a great time. Ridiculous hotels, amazing bars & clubs & restaurants. Yes, it's crazy hot outside for a geordie, but you probably won't ever be anywhere that isn't air-conditioned. One of those places you just have to see to believe. Try to arrive at night, stay at one of the better hotels (Hard Rock, Bellagio, Wynn resort, 4 seasons etc.) and get a room with a strip view.

New Orleans is also an incredible place. Don't be too put off by hurricane Katrina - nearly all the parts you'll most likely visit - The French Quarter, The Garden District, Uptown etc., were luckily spared by the worst effects of Katrina & have been up and running for some time now. An extremely beautiful city, with incredible amounts of character, great food & music and gorgeous architecture. Whereas most American cities resemble each other, New Orleans is a true original which can hold its own with the great, historic European Cities.

Oh, and whatever you do, DO NOT fu*k with ANY authority figures in the USA.

From the immigration people to the Police, you will not find a sense of humour and will instead inevitably encounter a Napoleonic complex desperate to ruin your day / week / year.

I have been married to an American for 3 years, have a kid, run my own successful business....and still nearly get sent back every time I fly into the USA.

I was also sent to jail for 8 hours (New Orleans central lock-up...I was the only non-gang member out of 27 people in a single cell with a toilet in the middle.....and the only whitey) for throwing a cigarette out of my car window.

You have been warned :calmdown:

I was also sent to jail for 8 hours (New Orleans central lock-up...I was the only non-gang member out of 27 people in a single cell with a toilet in the middle.....and the only whitey) for throwing a cigarette out of my car window.

You have been warned :calmdown:

Pretty drastic that unless it was really dry and wildfire season...can't imagine that being the case in N'awlins. Face it, you were the victim of reverse profiling. :blink: Have to agree with you on the rest of your summation.

Thanks people. Some fantastic advice.

I have talked mrs hips into going in the middle of October (the next available time for me) due to the warnings about the heat. I've agreed to have a week in Teneriffee in the summer as a trade-off for going later to the U.S. (women!!! :blink: )

As there is so much to do, I think we are looking at NY for two days, off to SF for 3/4 days (something else for a few days) and then LVegas for 3 or so days (spending our wedding anniversary in Vegas).

Anyway, please understand that I am really grateful for all the advice/tips. :D

I'll probably do the N.Orleans - Memphis etc another year.

And the Niagara Falls, New England, Boston stuff another.

Crikey, life's too short and America is so big! :calmdown: