Souness and Relegation.

Ugly Mackems

LeazesMag.

I don't doubt that you are passionate about our club, but you are the embodiment of everything that frustrates me in our supporters.

Anyone can find problems in football. It's the job of the board, management and players to do the best they can.

Your job as a fan is to make St.James a fortress to intimidate the opposition, nothing more.

We all have opinions, but there are more than a few professional cry babies here and they aren't helping anything.

19988[/snapback]

you are the embodiment of everything that frustrates me about dipsticks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We could have had Mourinho in 1999 as Assistant with him taking over in 2001 after he'd learnt the English game...but Robson wouldn't do it.

20026[/snapback]

I think in his book he says he asked him mate, but Mourinho thought it was time for him to go his own way. Bad luck eh or what.

The only was Robson would have accepted being bumped upstairs was if he picked his successor.

20017[/snapback]

Considering SBR's choices of coaches (Mick Wadsworth for one) - would YOU trust him to pick his successor ? Damn sure I wouldn't.

LeazesMag.

I don't doubt that you are passionate about our club, but you are the embodiment of everything that frustrates me in our supporters.

Anyone can find problems in football. It's the job of the board, management and players to do the best they can.

Your job as a fan is to make St.James a fortress to intimidate the opposition, nothing more.

We all have opinions, but there are more than a few professional cry babies here and they aren't helping anything.

19988[/snapback]

20032[/snapback]

You are as bad a fan, as you claim Souness is as a manager.

You don't support your team properly.

You don't understand that though, nor will you ever.

You think because you pay the entrance fee, you have a right to expect success.

The only thing you should contribute is your voice on match day.

The only was Robson would have accepted being bumped upstairs was if he picked his successor.

20017[/snapback]

Considering SBR's choices of coaches (Mick Wadsworth for one) - would YOU trust him to pick his successor ? Damn sure I wouldn't.

20072[/snapback]

No way, just that would have been the stipulation, probably

LeazesMag.

19988[/snapback]

20032[/snapback]

You are as bad a fan, as you claim Souness is as a manager.

You don't support your team properly.

You don't understand that though, nor will you ever.

You think because you pay the entrance fee, you have a right to expect success.

The only thing you should contribute is your voice on match day.

20077[/snapback]

I know who you are now the other thread gave it away.....see you tomorrow !!

Souness has undersold players at the club and made fuck ups. Souness stated that Robert and Bellamy will never play for the club again, Souness, Terry Mac etc stated that they are horrible people who are disruptive influences in the dressing room, training ground etc.

12 months ago these players were shit hot and big saleable assets, in comes Souness, strips there value and takes us down the league.

LM, you are not a 'proper' fan for stating these facts ha ha, bull shit!

Just because we have signed Luque for 10 mil does not turn Souness into Morinho. He is still a shit manager with a shit record

One thing's for sure: the bullshit stops now. FFS has spent a lot of money and the team we have now is Souness's. His team, to play his tactics. If things go pear-shaped it is down to Souness.

Even if we don't get another striker, Souness has no excuses as it was HIM who persuaded Shearer to stay on for another year. This proves that Souness still thinks Shearer has it in him to be a 20+ goal a season player - if not, why did he not get a striker in January or immediately at the start of this transfer window?

Souness - stand and deliver, or fuck off.

If Souness can't get a team with Given, Boumsong, Emre, Dyer, Parker, Bowyer, Luque & Shearer to at LEAST 6th place, he wants shot. That's why I'd give him the season. We WON'T go down no matter what people say. If he does shite come May, get rid of him then for a new manager who would have the basis of a top side and who'd have the summer to bring in his own to add to that for the 2006-7 season.

The day Sourness took over at this club the team was his, no one elses. Part of his job was to sort out the dressing room, but I would also argue that he should manage the club to the best of his ability.

FACT is his ability is just not good enough, he has rid the dressing room of the desruptive influence only to add more players of his own choosing, so whichever way you look at it, the team management was his responsibility from the day he joined and in the past 12 months we have regularly moved down the table.

But never mind this is acceptable and we will give the team our undying support, but hey fellas, does'nt stop us from having our own opinions, at least we can, SOURNESS' team members can't. They get thrown out for having views, or even bullied, now that's good mismanagement.

I couldn't agree more.

Souness has had a year and £20m+.

It is now his team.

If he doesn't get us into Europe, then he should be sacked.

BUT.

WE MUST BE BEHIND HIM FOR THIS SEASON. YES he's charmless. YES he's dour.

But our chances aren't helped by adding extra pressure.

At the end of this season I believe we could have the Worthington cup and a place in Europe with a solid young team all playing for each other.

LET'S GIVE OURSELVES THE CHANCE FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.

We'rrre doomed, captain Manwaring, doomed!!

Look, I'm as disappointed as the rest of you. But to say things like it's his club the moment he took over is foolish. You all knew that the squad was weak and paper-thin when he took over. You also knew that we needed defenders. So what could he do? Build from the back. I know that when Bobby was manager, there used to be times when every attack against us looked like it could result in a goal.

Tactics are nothing when your team flounce about, shouting their mouths off and refusing to play. Top players won't sign for us when SBR was manager, so to act as if all this is a more recent thing is a tad naive.

Yes, we're playing shite at the moment but for crying out loud. Give the man some breathing space, will you?

However. I have said this before, and I'll say it again. If the team continues to be shite (starting from after the Man U. game, because I know we'll be hammered) I know where my loyalties will lie, and it won't be with the management.

Look, I'm as disappointed as the rest of you. But to say things like it's his club the moment he took over is foolish. You all knew that the squad was weak and paper-thin when he took over. You also knew that we needed defenders. So what could he do?  Build from the back. I know that when Bobby was manager, there used to be times when every attack against us looked like it could result in a goal.

Tactics are nothing when your team flounce about, shouting their mouths off and refusing to play. Top players won't sign for us when SBR was manager, so to act as if all this is a more recent thing is a tad naive.

Yes, we're playing shite at the moment but for crying out loud. Give the man some breathing space, will you?

However. I have said this before, and I'll say it again. If the team continues to be shite (starting from after the Man U. game, because I know we'll be hammered) I know where my loyalties will lie, and it won't be with the management.

20223[/snapback]

the general consensus was that we were underachieving, at the time, and finished 5th top of the league, so whatever the standard was, we were the 5th best.

Now, you look back and say we were weak. Fair enough mate, it's your opinion but you can't deny the facts above. I don't think many people thought at the time we were overachieving, but whatever the individual thinks, one obvious point beyond dispute is that Bobby Robson did a damn sight better than Souness with the same players.

Edited by LeazesMag

Look, I'm as disappointed as the rest of you. But to say things like it's his club the moment he took over is foolish. You all knew that the squad was weak and paper-thin when he took over. You also knew that we needed defenders. So what could he do?  Build from the back. I know that when Bobby was manager, there used to be times when every attack against us looked like it could result in a goal.

20223[/snapback]

I don't think it's foolish at all, the minute he took over they were his team, his to work with, his to develop, his to set the tactics and so on and so on. They belonged to no-one else. I recall his statement" I am looking forward to working with such a strong squad of players" What happened then?

A good manager will get the best out of what he has to work with and a bad manager?

The squad that SBR left SOURNESS was IMO showing the cracks and weaknesses and so was SBR, and nobody can deny that. SOURNESS was the only manager that put his hat in the ring at the time, and as I recall, most other options turned us down.

Look, he was given the dosh to strengthen from day 1, the Fat Controller backed him all the way with dosh, £30+million in 12 months is a lot of money to buy decent players, and I guess we've got a few now.

To say he should be measured on his performance after the Man Ure game is bollocks, he should be measured after every game, you can't say we'll get hammered so that one does not count, every game counts. Each game represents 0,1 or even 3 points.

I for one am not too impressed with this signing, those who said Bellamy didn't get Arsenal etc wanting him, well they didn't want Luque either.

But the reason I'm apprehensive is, because whoever we buy, with Souness the next confrontation is always around the cornern, and I have no confidence in him anyway to motivate, manage and put a team out playing the "right way" ie with confidence, passing, moving, believing in their ability and taking the game to the opposition and dictating the pace of the game on a consistent basis.

But the money situation at the club is extremely worrying I think, bailing him out like this for his mis management.

19962[/snapback]

They don't won't Owen either, Wenger doesn't by the finished article.

it's the first comment, aimed at your general remark that I would rather I was right than the team won. Oh dear. After 40 odd years supporting this club, somehow Omar I don't think so.

HTL wanted us to lose the last few remaining games of last season. He’s been “supporting” the club for a long time too. (Not that it does matter!)

It's only people like you who have allowed him to lower standards that still defend him.

Bollox! It’s FS that has lowered the standards! He got rid of a great manager and replaced him with a poor one. It’s Shepherd that is keeping Souness in his job. It’s Shepherd that watched last season’s mediocre displays from the stands without doing anything about them.

I don’t rate Souness, but I defend him when I think it’s fair to do so. I don’t just criticise him for the sake of it. I, unlike you, also blame the players. You treat them like babies.

His hand was forced, and everyone knew we wanted rid of them no matter what. Who is responsible for that ? Who do you think, with your vast knowledge of the club, was responsible for Bellamy being told he had an extra week off pre season training

If Shepherd’s hands were forced, then why didn’t he get rid of Souness, instead of the players? Oh I’ll tell you why…it’s because he’s a crap chairman with low standards!

Of course I’m pissed off at Souness for falling out with our players. That’s something I predicted would happen when he got appointed, but Craig Bellamy showed disgraceful attitude. What on earth was Souness meant to do? Do you think Wenger, Mourinho, Ferguson would put up with a moron like Bellamy?!! Bellamy didn’t behave like a professional, you know.

Once again, it’s Shepherd to blame. Why? Because he should have known Souness’ fall-out history before he was appointed. FS thought Souness was a disciplinarian, which he is not, of course.

BTW, it’s nice to see you backing a non-NUFC player who was loving watching us get beat against Man Utd in the cup-semi. B)

the game in Spain suits Kluivert. It's what he is used to, there is more time on the ball, it is not so frantic a pace to the game, and he was used to playing in warmer weather without the extremes we have during the football season here. This is what I said when we bought him, and I said that at the age he is, he wouldn't adjust to the change and would find he didn't want to adjust to the change, he would lack the desire and not want to get into the physical part of the game here so much. Hardly rocket science.

It was his fitness that let him down, not the style of his play. Henry dosen’t "get into the physical" part of the game either.

BTW, I see you’ve ignored my point about treating players differently. I would appreciate an answer, if you think you know what you’re talking about.

So, I’ll repeat it again-

Why do you blame Souness for Nicky Butt not giving 100% and playing badly, but when it’s Kluivert, you blame him?(Fatty K)

Double standards, mate.

Try to get your opinions in order first. It’s hard to take anybody’s opinion seriously when they’re mixed-up like that. :D

Balls to Shepherd deciding how much to let Bellamy and Robert go for ? His hand was forced, and everyone knew we wanted rid of them no matter what. Who is responsible for that ? Who do you think, with your vast knowledge of the club, was responsible for Bellamy being told he had an extra week off pre season training [because he didn't want him back at the training ground].

20004[/snapback]

I half agree with what you're saying, The manager made it obvious he wanted rid and they wouldn't feature in his plans this season so Shephard had to sell them for whatever he could...

However even though it was made clear Robert was available at a knockdown price he still only managed to attract serious interest from Pompey, Bolton and Troyes - perhaps this represents his true worth from a non Newcastle point of view.

Balls to Shepherd deciding how much to let Bellamy and Robert go for ? His hand was forced, and everyone knew we wanted rid of them no matter what. Who is responsible for that ? Who do you think, with your vast knowledge of the club, was responsible for Bellamy being told he had an extra week off pre season training [because he didn't want him back at the training ground].

20004[/snapback]

I half agree with what you're saying, The manager made it obvious he wanted rid and they wouldn't feature in his plans this season so Shephard had to sell them for whatever he could...

However even though it was made clear Robert was available at a knockdown price he still only managed to attract serious interest from Pompey, Bolton and Troyes - perhaps this represents his true worth from a non Newcastle point of view.

20294[/snapback]

Or maybe Sourness just talked down their true value. Don't forget Sourness went public with the disgust he felt with those players and for any prospective purchaser this must have had an influence on their valuation.

The Celtic fans had a perfect name for him......The Beast.

Remember this:

"This is arguably the best squad I have ever worked with but I know that I have to win something. The players know that and, although I'm coming in with my own ideas, there won't be any dramatic changes."

Graeme Souness, 13th September 2004