Emre to face FA investigation

smoggeordie

FA to investigate Emre 'racist' outburst allegations

By JOHN EDWARDS Last updated at 17:17pm on 31st December 2006

FA chiefs are ready to investigate claims that a penalty area fracas at Goodison Park was sparked by a racist outburst by Newcastle midfielder Emre.

Referee Dermot Gallagher had just awarded a 43rd-minute penalty, for a trip on Kieron Dyer, when several Everton players suddenly began jostling Emre in a flashpoint that briefly threatened to spiral out of control as others joined in.

Everton keeper Tim Howard was one of the first to confront the 26-year old Turk, while Joseph Yobo and Joleon Lescott were just as incensed as tempers boiled over.

Gallagher appeared to single out Emre as the chief culprit by beckoning him to the sidelines, prior to a consultation with his linesman that appeared to prove inconclusive.

After a quick word between the two officials, Gallagher felt able to administer nothing more than a ticking off to the already-booked Emre, whose subsequent offer of a handshake was accepted by Yobo but brusquely rejected by Lescott.

Feelings were still running high at half-time, as players of both sides became embroiled in heated exchanges in the tunnel before being ushered into their dressing rooms.

Everton attempted to draw a veil over the furore by banning their players from discussing it, while manager David Moyes would only admit there had been "words exchanged" in the aftermath of the penalty award.

An FA probe seems likely, though, after it emerged that fans behind Howard's goal, at the Gwladys Street end, had complained about Emre's conduct, alleging racist abuse towards one or more of Everton's coloured players.

They have been advised to send their observations to Soho Square, and, if they do, an enquiry will surely follow into the cause of an ugly bout of pushing and finger pointing that took a couple of minutes to bring under control.

An FA spokesman confirmed as much by saying: "We take any allegation of racism very seriously, and if we receive a complaint, we will look at it thoroughly."

Emre's every touch was jeered for the rest of a game that went from bad to worse for Newcastle but had Everton followers heralding the arrival of another homegrown matchwinning marksman.

When Obafemi Martins was finally cleared to take Newcastle's penalty, he ballooned it into the upper tier of the Gwladys seats, while a hamstring injury to Peter Ramage forced Nicky Butt to try his hand as a makeshift centre-half.

The former England midfielder made a decent fist of it for 50-odd minutes but may have his work cut out maintaining it off for the full 90, against his old club Manchester United at St James' Park today.

Newcastle were trailing to a scrambled ninth-minute opener from Victor Anichebe and were heading for their heaviest defeat of the season when the 18-year old struck again in the 58th minute, deflecting an Andy Johnson header against the underside of the bar and reacting swiftly to force home the rebound.

He walked into a half-time rebuke from Moyes for not contributing enough and has obvious rough edges that need working on, but the Nigerian youngster has the makings of another Goodison goalscoring great, according to Phil Neville.

"Victor is just a young kid, but he is already frightening the life out of defenders," said the Everton full-back, who wrapped up the scoring with a freak 62nd-minute goal that left one boot and ricocheted off the other before spinning over Shay Given.

"He needs to keep improving, because defenders will start working him out, but he is a beast of a player, so strong and quick, and clever with it. He has every attribute you would want from a centre-forward, particularly at Everton, given the style of play we favour.

"This club has a tradition of bringing through young centre-forwards, and we are lucky to have two emerging in the same mould, in Victor and James Vaughan. It suggests the future is very bright in the striking department."

Neville urged Moyes to turn Howard's loan deal into a permanent signing after the Manchester United keeper denied Newcastle a 54th-minute equaliser with a flying save from James Milner's fierce drive.

"Every time Tim has been called on this season, he has come up with an answer, and that is the sign of a top-class keeper," he said. "I always thought he was good, but he has got better coming here. Keepers thrive on playing continually, and he has had that with us. He knows he is going to be out there most weeks, and his confidence has grown accordingly.

"I just hope we can sign him full-time now, because I don't see many better keepers anywhere in the Premiership.

"As for my goal, I shot with my right foot, but it actually skidded off my left before looping over the keeper. I always get the mickey taken, because I am hopeless in front of goal. I don't even score in training. I'll get more stick now, but who cares? After going so long without a goal, you have to make the most of the moment."

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder attempted to make light of a worsening injury crisis that has left him with Steven Taylor as his only fit central defender for the visit of runaway leaders United.

"I would have no hesitation playing Nicky Butt in any position, at full-back, let alone centre-half," he said. "I'm sure he will relish the thought of facing the Rooneys and Ronaldos at our place, because he is that sort of character, quiet and serious but great to have on your side.

"There was no fuss about switching him from midfield against Everton. I just said: 'Nicky, I need you to do a job at centre-back' and he replied: 'No problem, boss, I'll get myself in there now.' I wouldn't have expected anything less, and he did it brilliantly."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An FA probe seems likely, though, after it emerged that fans behind Howard's goal, at the Gwladys Street end, had complained about Emre's conduct, alleging racist abuse towards one or more of Everton's coloured players.

and how the fuck did they hear this?

also isn't Black the accepted term these days

Guest Patrokles

So basically none of the players in question are complaining at all, but some fans behind the goal are on a fucking wind-up and suddenly it's an FA probe?

Disappointed to see Emre wave his hand like that to signify a card, thats the kind of behaviour expected from wankers like Mourinho and Ronaldo.

Emre has got a bad temper, was one of the instigators in that Turkey-Switzerland tunnel incident. But I would like to know how the Everton fans heard him say anything in all that noise, and on what evidence the FA are carrying out this investigation.

Edited by aimaad22

Guest Patrokles

Disappointed to see Emre wave his hand like that to signify a card, thats the kind of behaviour expected from wankers like Mourinho and Ronaldo.

Emre has got a bad temper, was one of the instigators in that Turkey-Switzerland tunnel incident. But I would like to know how the Everton fans heard him say anything in all that noise, and on what evidence the FA are carrying out this investigation.

You could probably push for an FA probe into Gemmill's behaviour.

Im afraid he might be heralded as something of a NUFC hero after they hear the story, so no thanks.

Im afraid he might be heralded as something of a NUFC hero after they hear the story, so no thanks.

Class reply <_<

Oh aye,and Emre is a timebomb waiting to explode!,you can see the nature of the guy,sly devious and knows when he's giving a dig or two etc etc,every game ive seen him i've waited for that moment he just loses it!

He give's his all yes,but when the going gets tough Emre get's going..in his own mind

The problem with Emre is that he is very easily wound up and then totally loses it. To stir trouble when we had just been awarded a penalty is plain stupidity.

He's been far worse this season i think. There was a spell when we were absolute shite every home match where i'd see hims slowly but surely get more annoyed, more petulent and eventually he'd go after players and he'd either get a yellow, or be pushing his luck not to get a second yellow.

He then had a bit of a quiter spell, followed by a few games where opposition teams have target him for a kicking and winding up and he's taken the bait and now i think most games you see other teams go for him.

Innocent until proven guilty, but if that guilt IS proven in terms of racist abuse, I hope he fu*ks off ASAP.

We've just got rid of Bowyer; don't need another racist twat in Black & white, thanks....

Agreed, although quite how the crowd could've heard exactly what was said just after a penalty had been given is beyond me. :lol:

We've just got rid of Bowyer; don't need another racist twat in Black & white, thanks....

I'll never quite understand that.

Woodgate was convicted in that Leeds incident and I've never heard him called racist.

Bowyer was found not guilty of that and is constantly called it.

Can anyone explain the logic behind that?

Are you only racist if you're NOT convicted of an offence?

(maybe Bowyer is a signed up member of the BNP, I dunno. But the only real incident I've heard of is that one in Leeds where he was found not guilty and Woodgate found guilty)

Woodgate was convicted in that Leeds incident and I've never heard him called racist.

(maybe Bowyer is a signed up member of the BNP, I dunno. But the only real incident I've heard of is that one in Leeds where he was found not guilty and Woodgate found guilty)

Good grief, not this hoary old chestnut rearing its ugly head.

WRT Emre - very disapointing if true

"I don't want to be served by no Paki" tbh.

Good grief, not this hoary old chestnut rearing its ugly head.

WRT Emre - very disapointing if true

Well I simply don't understand it.

If that IS the reason then Woodgate is just as bad surely?

(not saying I condone it, but I am saying I don't understand it, racism is racism, it's not "ok" in one context (Woodgate) and not in another (Bowyer)).

Well it makes more sense if there were more incidents, but as I said most everything I've heard about stems from the Leeds thing.

Well it makes more sense if there were more incidents, but as I said most everything I've heard about stems from the Leeds thing.

I'm amazed you haven't heard of them. That little gem stems from the McDonald's incident.

I'm amazed you haven't heard of them. That little gem stems from the McDonald's incident.

I dunno I do remember other vague stuff but I don't tend to go into trial by News of the World too often (although they are 100% right sometimes it is true :icon_lol: But equally a lot of the time it's just looking for a story - take the dangerous dogs hysteria of the moment - more people are killed by horses, or pigs or even cows every year, but apparently all dogs should be muzzled and/or destroyed now :lol: ).

It would still likely be the same thing with Woodgate though white/asian issues in Middlesbough are quite deep seated. <_<

Anyway either way Emre's behaviour isn't acceptable if he did say something like that.