Emre aims for speedy return

Scottish Mag

Emre aims to bounce back into the Newcastle United line-up against Manchester United tomorrow after apologising for missing the last two games because of a hamstring injury.

The Turkish international will make his home Premiership debut providing he suffers no reaction to the injury he picked up playing for his country in Bulgaria 10 days ago.

He already has an outstanding league debut against Arsenal at Highbury under his belt and cannot wait to have his first crack at Manchester United.

It had been feared that Emre would be out for six weeks, but he has recovered quicker than expected and is desperate to play in every game having played in fewer than half of Inter Milan's fixtures last season.

The 24-year-old midfielder said: "I'm so sorry because I only played one Premiership game, then got an injury in a friendly match.

"The injury's OK now. I can still feel it a little bit, but I will try it for tomorrow. I trained from Wednesday and I was with the team yesterday.

"I'm sure after this injury I will be OK. I'm not strong yet - as I had only worked with the team for two weeks - but I will be OK. I will try to play, but, if not, we have another 50-55 games this season.

"I want to play every game this season. Last year I only played 25 games for Inter."

Emre never faced Man United during his time at the San Siro and is relishing running out at a sold-out St James' against Sir Alex Ferguson's men, who have won both their opening Premiership fixtures.

The likeable Turkish player added: "In Italy the atmosphere is good, but here it is better. St James' Park is very nice and if we play at home, we have an advantage because the fans are incredible.

"Manchester United are a big team and it's a difficult time, as we only have one point. In England every game is difficult, not just Manchester United.

"We will try everything because we want to win for the fans and for the club. We have a chance because we have good players and we need to take three points before the international break.

"They have big players like Keane and Scholes but I've played with big clubs for nine years and against big players. I think football's changing, because if you want to win, you must work hard. It's not just about big players."

Emre has played against new United signing Albert Luque at both international and club level, and is hoping that Michael Owen follows the striker from Spain to Tyneside.

He said: "Luque is a very good player. I know him - I played against him with the national team and Inter. Owen is the best player in England, and having those two players would be a big advantage."

After tomorrow's game, Emre will link up with the rest of the Turkish squad for their World Cup qualifiers with Denmark in Istanbul next Saturday and the trip to Kiev to take on Ukraine four days later.