Real will not extend David Beckham's contract

Ted Maul

Lot of people green with envy on here by the looks of it. Petty jealousy in fact.

Unfortunately for us, Beckham was an immense player for manure and he's up there amongst the greats who truly enjoyed playing for England and gave 100% in every game he played. He deserves everything he gets out of the game, IMO. Pity he couldn't teach a work ethic and how to win to some of the tossers we have on our books today who are poor excuses for professional football players. Sad to say but true.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder when Beckham will first call it 'soccer'.

Years ago. When doing promo work for Fox Soccer Channel and others (including his academy thingee)

Knob head, should be ashamed of himself.

For speaking the local (and, I might add essentially international) language? "soccer" is an English term btw

An 'English' term that most English people cringe when they hear it said. The game is called Associated Football, we invented it, so fucking follow the lead. <_<

Ally, if they were paying me that money, I'd refer to backheels as heelkicks, shots as nice kicks and all the rest of it. :razz:

Don't be a pissant, Gemmill. Oh forgot who I was talking to.

AAR, there is already a sport called "football" in the USA and there is more money in it than in your "english football" so it's hardly going to be accepted when the USA hasn't converted to the Metric System because it's a 'communist plot.' So take your UN loving, Commu-Nazi agenda and go away!

Guest stevieintoon

thats the thing about beckham. its all hype. and self indulgence.

this is the man that cost us getting further in the world cup 2002, 1998, and by 06 it was clear his best days were past him. he also didn't perform in the champions league final when he played in it.

now that he's approaching the end of his career, if i were him i'd look back and think i could have done more if i would have thought a bit more and not been so terribly selfish.

Personally I think you clearly don't like the bloke, and it's coming across in everything you've got to say about him. I think he's one of the few of the recent England crop that's been genuinely proud to play for and captain his country, and with the exception of that one bottled challenge against Brazil, he's always done his best for them.

Won plenty of trophies at Man United an'all. There's plenty players would fucking LOVE to look back on a career like David Beckham's, and yet you think he should look back with embarrassment on it?!

£25.6m a year Beckham will earn. He'll probably want to retain his "image rights" as well the greedy cunt.

Where's that figure coming from like? I doubt if they're paying him that much that he'll be getting image rights as well, or they'll have no hope of making a profit on him. Where did you come up with the figure though - doesn't sound right, seen as that sounds like more than the big baseball, basketball and NFL players can earn in a year.

Reuters, AEG officials, and Talksport.

If this is true Beckham will take home after tax, £318,000 a week.

I think Beckham will be bigger in America than Best, Pele and Beckenbauer in the 70's, he fits the American ideology of an icon fantastically, good looking, wears pathetic clothes, famous and brain dead

Foolish.

No one will ever be as big as Pele was for the sport in the USA. He took a semi-pro league outfit and filled stadia to the parking lots* with people wanting to see him. Beckham won't come close to that. Best and Beckenbauer were less well known but Pele and Chinaglia were the shit.

*all right, "Car Parks".... fuckers

Ridiculous comment. The infrastructure of the world has changed remarkably in the last 30 years, 90% of yanks probably didn't even know Pele existed. Beckham is known by your average yank already, rubbing shoulders with film stars at premiere's etc.. and now he's going there his status will be even higher again.

And you would know this how?

Pele and the like were that big the league folded due to dwindling gates and insufficient sponsorship, that won't happen now.

Again, not quite true.

Only an idiot (not that I'm saying you're an idiot) could deny the infrastructure of the world has improved beyond recognition since the 70's. The internet has brought us all "closer together", digital television services, and huge improvements in the telecommunications industry dictate, that people are more aware of the world than they were 30 years ago.

Considering some survey concluded only 30% of the yank population knew the 1994 World Cup Finals was actually taking place in their country (during the tournament!), it's safe to say far fewer would've been aware of Pele's existence.

MLS gates are steady now, they average about 20,000 now, these were the NASL average gates:

Average Attendance

1968: 4,747

1969: 4,699

1970: 2,930

1971: 3,163

1972: 4,159

1973: 4,780

1974: 5,954

1975: 7,770

1976: 7,642

1977: 10,295

1978: 13,558

1979: 13,084

1980: 14,201

1981: 14,084

1982: 13,155

1983: 13,258

1984: 10,759

The highest average New York Cosmos had was 46,000 in an 80,000 capacity stadium, so Pele mania I feel is overstated, I'm sure George Best would've been equally well known over there as Pele was too. I guarantee now when Beckham goes to LA Galaxy there'll be capacity crowds all season. As a player Beckham couldn't wipe Pele's arse, in terms of fame in the US and marketability, Beckham is streets ahead, it's not even a comparison.

Years ago. When doing promo work for Fox Soccer Channel and others (including his academy thingee)

For speaking the local (and, I might add essentially international) language? "soccer" is an English term btw

An 'English' term that most English people cringe when they hear it said. The game is called Associated Football, we invented it, so fucking follow the lead. <_<

Ally, if they were paying me that money, I'd refer to backheels as heelkicks, shots as nice kicks and all the rest of it. :razz:

I'm joking you fucking arsehole. Lighten up.

An 'English' term that most English people cringe when they hear it said. The game is called Associated Football, we invented it, so fucking follow the lead. :razz:

<_< I'm confused who he's talking to.

this is the man that cost us getting further in the world cup 2002, 1998, and by 06 it was clear his best days were past him. he also didn't perform in the champions league final when he played in it.

now that he's approaching the end of his career, if i were him i'd look back and think i could have done more if i would have thought a bit more and not been so terribly selfish.

Personally I think you clearly don't like the bloke, and it's coming across in everything you've got to say about him. I think he's one of the few of the recent England crop that's been genuinely proud to play for and captain his country, and with the exception of that one bottled challenge against Brazil, he's always done his best for them.

Won plenty of trophies at Man United an'all. There's plenty players would fucking LOVE to look back on a career like David Beckham's, and yet you think he should look back with embarrassment on it?!

£25.6m a year Beckham will earn. He'll probably want to retain his "image rights" as well the greedy cunt.

Where's that figure coming from like? I doubt if they're paying him that much that he'll be getting image rights as well, or they'll have no hope of making a profit on him. Where did you come up with the figure though - doesn't sound right, seen as that sounds like more than the big baseball, basketball and NFL players can earn in a year.

I think Beckham will be bigger in America than Best, Pele and Beckenbauer in the 70's, he fits the American ideology of an icon fantastically, good looking, wears pathetic clothes, famous and brain dead

Foolish.

No one will ever be as big as Pele was for the sport in the USA. He took a semi-pro league outfit and filled stadia to the parking lots* with people wanting to see him. Beckham won't come close to that. Best and Beckenbauer were less well known but Pele and Chinaglia were the shit.

Ridiculous comment. The infrastructure of the world has changed remarkably in the last 30 years, 90% of yanks probably didn't even know Pele existed. Beckham is known by your average yank already, rubbing shoulders with film stars at premiere's etc.. and now he's going there his status will be even higher again.

Pele and the like were that big the league folded due to dwindling gates and insufficient sponsorship, that won't happen now.

Again, not quite true.

Only an idiot (not that I'm saying you're an idiot) could deny the infrastructure of the world has improved beyond recognition since the 70's. The internet has brought us all "closer together", digital television services, and huge improvements in the telecommunications industry dictate, that people are more aware of the world than they were 30 years ago.

Considering some survey concluded only 30% of the yank population knew the 1994 World Cup Finals was actually taking place in their country (during the tournament!), it's safe to say far fewer would've been aware of Pele's existence.

MLS gates are steady now, they average about 20,000 now, these were the NASL average gates:

Average Attendance

The highest average New York Cosmos had was 46,000 in an 80,000 capacity stadium, so Pele mania I feel is overstated, I'm sure George Best would've been equally well known over there as Pele was too. I guarantee now when Beckham goes to LA Galaxy there'll be capacity crowds all season. As a player Beckham couldn't wipe Pele's arse, in terms of fame in the US and marketability, Beckham is streets ahead, it's not even a comparison.

MLS gates are a joke. 20,000? Closer to 12,000, unless you're talking Kansas City where it's more like 8,000.

Pele was a draw at AWAY games, not home games, so bringing up the Cosmo's numbers is a little wide of the mark. ALSO, since the Galaxy capacity is 28,000 and they announce that they had a sell out regardless of actual numbers (since they can legally count the gate receipts for the entire complex for the entire weekend) it's hard to make that argument stick either.

£500k a week and the football will be a walk in the park for beck's

Good call IMO

he wont get all the media attention, or not to the scale of the UK, the USA is cheaper to live in,

£500k to play against a bunch of useless Yanks and Paul Dag <_<

i wonder how long it'l take his accent to fuck up,

even more

Making jokes about 1970s terminology kinda pisses me off when I'm sick of arguing with Eurosnobs over here, let alone the slime that actually live across the ocean. Damn For'ners.

DAVID BECKHAM CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:

Fifth most capped England player of all time

Only Englishman to have scored in three successive World Cup Finals

As of December 2005, one of only four players (and the only Englishman) to have appeared in over 100 Champions League matches

Finished runner up European Footballer of the Year 1999 and FIFA World Player of The Year in 1999 and 2001

BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 2001

Opened Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002

Awarded OBE for services to football in 2003

Appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2005

Played prominent role in London's successful bid for 2012 Olympics

PFA Young Player of the year (97)

UEFA Champions League Footballer of the Year (99)

I think they worded that wrong <_<

From The MLS website

Go on google and type in Hollywood hills and malibu real estate and look at the sort of palaces the bastard will be in the market for. :razz:<_<

yes, but LA is really a shit place.

I hate all those "I just work in MacDonald's, but my mummy told me I'm special so I've come to LA to become a star" wankers.....

In all honesty, I'd much rather live in Newcastle.

£500k a week and the football will be a walk in the park for beck's

Good call IMO

He'll be a bust. Both in terms of on-field contribution and financial benefit.

Well let's heelkick that one behind us and move on eh?

Fair enough.

Guest stevieintoon

Foolish.

Again, not quite true.

Average Attendance

MLS gates are a joke. 20,000? Closer to 12,000, unless you're talking Kansas City where it's more like 8,000.

Pele was a draw at AWAY games, not home games, so bringing up the Cosmo's numbers is a little wide of the mark. ALSO, since the Galaxy capacity is 28,000 and they announce that they had a sell out regardless of actual numbers (since they can legally count the gate receipts for the entire complex for the entire weekend) it's hard to make that argument stick either.

The MLS average is actually 16,000, but I guarantee you now, LA will move back to the Rose Bowl or somewhere bigger than the 28,000 ground in Carson.

Go on google and type in Hollywood hills and malibu real estate and look at the sort of palaces the bastard will be in the market for. :razz:<_<

yes, but LA is really a shit place.

I hate all those "I just work in MacDonald's, but my mummy told me I'm special so I've come to LA to become a star" wankers.....

In all honesty, I'd much rather live in Newcastle.

I hate Los Angeles with a passion bordering on insanity. Every time I go there I remember another reason that I hate it.

As of December 2005, one of only four players (and the only Englishman) to have appeared in over 100 Champions League matches

Finished runner up European Footballer of the Year 1999 and FIFA World Player of The Year in 1999 and 2001

From The MLS website

How so?

From The MLS website

How so?

In the sense it implies he scored in three different world cup finals - as in the final of the final's

It doesnt state that clearly enough for the average yank imo

From The MLS website

How so?

In the sense it implies he scored in three different world cup finals - as in the final of the final's

Aye but you'd first have to explain to the average yank what the World Cup actually was.

From The MLS website

How so?

Aye but you'd first have to explain to the average yank what the World Cup actually was.

:razz:

The MLS average is actually 16,000, but I guarantee you now, LA will move back to the Rose Bowl or somewhere bigger than the 28,000 ground in Carson.

"Last year, the MetroStars announced an average attendance of 15,077 for 16 home games. The turnstile average: 9,240.

In three home playoff games since 2003, the MetroStars drew an average of 5,466; the club announced an average crowd of 10,494, a 92 percent increase.

There was a similar story at Soldier Field, where the Chicago Fire played last season before moving into a new soccer-specific stadium in the suburb of Bridgeview. In the 13 matches for which Soldier Field officials had turnstile counts, the announced crowd was 70 percent higher than the turnstile average of 7,303."

Source: San Diego Tribune

I sincerely doubt the Galaxy would move from the stadium where they have complete control to another venue save for friedly matches against Mexican teams where they could actually sell out the LA Coloseum or the Rose Bowl.

From The MLS website

How so?

Anyone going to the MLS website will know what it means.

<_< the final's final? the finals' final? the final finals's"s?

Fuck off

Guest stevieintoon

:razz: the final's final? the finals' final? the final finals's"s?

:razz::razz::P:razz:<_<:razz::razz:

gemmill, you are right.

i've never been a massive fan of his. he played for manyoo ( a team i despise) and promised so much. he won leagues and cups, all of that, great. he was also proud to play for his country.

well thats all and well but he's not bobby charlton, bobby moore or nobby stiles etc etc. he missed out on the big one didn't he. the world cup.

in terms of success he's been a very good player but there are many many players out there that for me are better than him. i would put him in the top 75 players in history, but he really should have concetrated on his football rather than his image rights more, thats what i mean....

sure he's a global icon, and will make loads of money for himself and his team, but he won't make me like him.

its all about the greed and selfishness for me that overshadows a player that really should have been the best (or top 3) midfielder of his generation.