Mourinho: "I'd be better off at Toon"

Craig

By SHAUN CUSTIS

JANUARY 12, 2007

JOSE MOURINHO reckons Chelsea are worse off than Newcastle.

And no, he’s not joking — he’s deadly serious.

In an astonishing attack on the Blues board and the club’s transfer policy, now masterminded by Frank Arnesen, manager Mourinho claims the Toon have more strength in depth than Chelsea.

His blast has further widened the growing divisions between Mourinho and his bosses.

The self-proclaimed Special One believes former Danish international Arnesen is pushing for ultimate power at Stamford Bridge.

Arnesen pulled the strings at PSV Eindhoven, where he discovered the likes of Arjen Robben and Eidur Gudjohnsen. He also called many of the shots at Spurs before being poached by the Blues two years ago.

Now, as Chelsea’s chief scout and director of youth development, Arnesen enjoys a far closer relationship with chief executive Peter Kenyon and billionaire owner Roman Abramovich than Mourinho.

After Chelsea — with a squad worth more than £200million — stumbled to a 1-1 draw at League Two Wycombe in the first leg of their Carling Cup semi-final on Wednesday, Mourinho complained that club chiefs had clamped down on spending.

He also claimed his injury list has exposed a lack of quality young players coming through the ranks.

Mourinho pointed to Newcastle’s ability to bring in 19-year-olds Paul Huntington and David Edgar — two players who were club trainees — as cover and argued Chelsea are unable to do the same.

The Portuguese chief, 44 later this month, said: “We try to do our best but I’m not lucky like other managers who have defenders in their reserve team.

“Glenn Roeder can call up Huntington, as he did against us. Then he has the young player, Edgar, who he called up against Manchester United. We have no players.

“I’m just having to wait for players to be fit and ready. But it looks like it never ends.”

Huntington made his full debut against Chelsea in Toon’s narrow 2-1 Carling Cup defeat last month, while Edgar scored a dramatic equaliser in their 2-2 New Year’s Day draw against Manchester United. Yet Mourinho sees no such qualities among the Stamford Bridge youngsters.

He is desperate to get Micah Richards, 18, and believed the board would back him. He even told those close to him that the Manchester City star was on his way to Chelsea in an £18m deal.

But Arnesen has been working in other directions. He has arranged the signing of the Brazilian defender Alex, who will join from PSV in the summer.

And the Dane was also involved in the wrestling match with Manchester United for John Obi Mikel and the summer capture of Dutchman Khalid Boulahrouz as well as Feyenoord striker Salomon Kalou.

Certain transfers have been taken completely out of Mourinho’s hands. The sales of William Gallas and Robert Huth were not sanctioned by him and Andriy Shevchenko’s signing was instigated by Abramovich.

Mourinho’s opinions on Shevchenko could not be more obvious. He told SunSport that the Ukrainian was “not untouchable” — a comment that riled Abramovich, who thinks a manager as great as Mourinho professes to be should be able to bring out the best in the one-time European Footballer of the Year.

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...7010681,00.html

<_<:razz::razz:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree - think it's him having a pop at the board for spending £30m on a 31 year old who has, by his standards, flopped when then won't spend 2/3rds of that amount on perhaps the most promising young full back in the Premiership (who just happens to play in the one position that Chelsea have no strength in).

He is a cock - but if that's his agenda, I think he has a point tbh

By SHAUN CUSTIS

JANUARY 12, 2007

JOSE MOURINHO reckons Chelsea are worse off than Newcastle.

And no, he’s not joking — he’s deadly serious.

In an astonishing attack on the Blues board and the club’s transfer policy, now masterminded by Frank Arnesen, manager Mourinho claims the Toon have more strength in depth than Chelsea.

I just had to go and check my calendar.

Nope, it's not April 1st.

<_<

Edited by GeordieMessiah

Sorry like, but I don't think he's got any room for complaining about transfer funds, any more than he has to complain about injuries. They've backed him with hundreds of millions of pounds.

I know where you're coming from but I think it's widely accepted that Shevchenko was an Abramovich signing rather than a Mourinho one. Fair do's if they give him carte blanche but if they're telling him that he can't sign who he wants when they spent an outrageous amount on someone so old then it's a bit harsh.

Put it this way if Shepherd 'bought' someone for a stupid amount who flopped and then refused to fund a deal that Roeder wanted and would make better footballing sense and we all knew the money was there - we'd be fucking livid!

Put it this way if Shepherd 'bought' someone for a stupid amount who flopped and then refused to fund a deal that Roeder wanted and would make better footballing sense and we all knew the money was there - we'd be fucking livid!

*cough* Luque *cough*

So Chelsea's reserve/academy team have no defenders at all?

Becasuse that's where we got Ramage, Taylor, Huntington, Edgar from.

I doubt if Edgar or Huntington were Chelsea youngsters that they would actually get a game.

I personally don't mind the guy but:

Roeder > Mourinho :razz:

At rat impressions? <_<

Well yeah.... Roeder is the master at that. :razz:

I'd reckon his points gained per £ spent is way better than Mourinho's too :razz:

Sorry like, but I don't think he's got any room for complaining about transfer funds, any more than he has to complain about injuries. They've backed him with hundreds of millions of pounds.

That's his point Gemma they haven't 'backed him', players have been bought in other wanted ie Schev, Bhoularouz etc..

Interesting ratio. <_< I bet Adie Boothroyd is better than Roeder using the same ratio tbh. :razz:

They're going down though, so the Watford chairman is going to have take off £20 million or so on his special Excel cashflow thingy :razz:

Aww diddums, he has to work with in a budget? How cruel.

Get used to it you arrogant prick, you're the man who won the European Cup with no money so surely winning the league with a squad worth hundreds of millions of pounds shouldn't be a problem for a man of your capabilities, prick.

*cough* Luque *cough*

i was thinking more kluivert tbh

I don't get it, surely Chelsea have a reserve team?

But no def apparently. <_<

Just had a flick on the Chelsea site, they've loads of defenders in reserve. Pipe down Mourinho.

He states they aren't good enough. I think he is still sore from the Gallas deal and apprently it now transpires Arnensen was behing Kalou as well.

Kenyon has said that he wants Chelsea to start balancing the books. So they must be looking to get the wages down.