Goals, glorious goals.

Optimistic Nut

That's now 20 goals in our last 10 league games. Showing signs of 3-4 years ago.

So, do we need defenders or strikers? :unsure:

tremendous win borne out of guts and character.

From a footballing point of view, the performance did absolutely nothing else other than confirm - and unfortunately it STILL needs confirming to many people who clearly have no idea what they are watching - the team is woefully weak in holding the ball up front and in the support from midfield, putting the team under pressure and being pushed back. Anyone who cannot see this is blind.

That's now 20 goals in our last 10 league games. Showing signs of 3-4 years ago.

From a footballing point of view, the performance did absolutely nothing else other than confirm - and unfortunately it STILL needs confirming to many people who clearly have no idea what they are watching - the team is woefully weak in holding the ball up front and in the support from midfield, putting the team under pressure and being pushed back. Anyone who cannot see this is blind.

With Sibi up top, aye.

Martins and Dyer compliment each other marvellously, and the ball is played on the ground more when they are about. Searching for the head of Sibierski is pretty ineffective really. We ain't got problems upfront when it's Martins-Dyer; we score goals. Sibierski is slow and can't keep up with his strike partner, and erratic when it comes to holding the ball up.

I'd like a stiker, definitely, i think we need one... but defenders are the priority.

With Sibi up top, aye.

Martins and Dyer compliment each other marvellously, and the ball is played on the ground more when they are about. Searching for the head of Sibierski is pretty ineffective really. We ain't got problems upfront when it's Martins-Dyer; we score goals. Sibierski is slow and can't keep up with his strike partner, and erratic when it comes to holding the ball up.

I'd like a stiker, definitely, i think we need one... but defenders are the priority.

Well, stand by for more backs to the wall games like that then, and if Martins is injured I hope the new defender will be able to play up front.

Well, stand by for more backs to the wall games like that then, and if Martins is injured I hope the new defender will be able to play up front.

So, do we need defenders or strikers? :secret:

With Sibi up top, aye.

So if Taylor gets injured, is the plan to play the new striker at the back?

Let's remember that Solano (a midfielder) is now suspended. Who the hell is going to play right back?

Of course, you're thinking about Moore, Bramble, Carr and Babayaro coming back in aren't you :unsure:

With Sibi up top, aye.

Just for clarification. Sibierski is the bald, white skinned one.

Loan a striker until May, aye. But what are we going to do at the start of next season with Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Sibierski and the new striker you want us to buy?

Ameobi isn't good enough. Sibierski isn't a striker he's just playing there at the moment. I am not sure Owens and Martins will play together. So it leaves us needing a partner for whichever one of them plays, long term and short term.

If Martins is injured this season, we will struggle to score goals, but another few wins and we will be well above the bottom places however we could forget about getting above Spurs and challenging for europe again though.

A loan striker would do if that is the best we can do and don't want to spend good money on the wrong player again, but in the summer we would then need this player.

Maybe we would keep position in their half if we had full backs who had more about them in an attacking sense, we seemed to do a lot better down the right with Solano, just a thought :secret:

With Sibi up top, aye.

Let's remember that Solano (a midfielder) is now suspended. Who the hell is going to play right back?

Of course, you're thinking about Moore, Bramble, Carr and Babayaro coming back in aren't you :unsure:

Solano will be back after a short suspension. If Martins is injured we have nobody coming back, if Taylor is injured we have players coming back who we did - you fail to grasp the point, which is that better defenders will do absolutely nothing to prevent the team surrendering possession and spend the game with their backs to the wall like today.

If anything the thought of an injury to Martins should spell it out to you how vital it is to have someone that can pull something up from nothing when this is happening, after today.

Loan a striker until May, aye. But what are we going to do at the start of next season with Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Sibierski and the new striker you want us to buy?

Ameobi isn't good enough. Sibierski isn't a striker he's just playing there at the moment. I am not sure Owens and Martins will play together. So it leaves us needing a partner for whichever one of them plays, long term and short term.

If Martins is injured this season, we will struggle to score goals, but another few wins and we will be well above the bottom places however we could forget about getting above Spurs and challenging for europe again though.

A loan striker would do if that is the best we can do and don't want to spend good money on the wrong player again, but in the summer we would then need this player.

But you're also forgetting that most of our defenders aren't good enough either.

If we lose Taylor to injury this season, I think we're in the shit.

At the end of the day, we need BOTH a defender and a striker, although I guess Duff could play up front if he ever gets fit again.

I agree with you when it comes to Ameobi and Sibierski. The thing is that I don't think Newcastle can afford another big name. The moment Owen gets fit, the forward line will be Owen-Martins just because of their respective price tags/reputation. And I guess neither would settle for the bench. Assuming Martins is on high wages another player of the same (financial) calibre would also be bad considering the already unhealthy wage/turnover ratio. Which means that if Newcastle were looking for a partner for one of those they basically have to get rid of the other player - and in the end have to look for two players...

Out of interest Leazes - Which of our defenders do you think are good enough?

Taylor is the best, but I am talking from a team shape or tactical point of view as I think good possession up front with a good back line communicating together can plug gaps and give you a decent defensive record.

The best defenders in the country will struggle if the players in front of them keep surrendering ground and possession.

Taylor is the best, but I am talking from a team shape or tactical point of view as I think good possession up front with a good back line communicating together can plug gaps and give you a decent defensive record.

The best defenders in the country will struggle if the players in front of them keep surrendering ground and possession.

And the best attackers in the country will struggle if they don't have decent defenders behind them, a point made this week by Jose Mourinho, a man whose opinion I respect :unsure:

With Sibi up top, aye.

Solano will be back after a short suspension. If Martins is injured we have nobody coming back, if Taylor is injured we have players coming back who we did - you fail to grasp the point, which is that better defenders will do absolutely nothing to prevent the team surrendering possession and spend the game with their backs to the wall like today.

If anything the thought of an injury to Martins should spell it out to you how vital it is to have someone that can pull something up from nothing when this is happening, after today.

Disagree, with proper (ignore the souness-ism) full backs we will be more effective in keeping the ball in the opposition's half!

Agree with all of that.

I can remember the games this season when we had neither Martins or Dyer and an injured Ameobi. No thanks. We need another striker. Owen and Ameobi will probably still need a bit of next season to gain full fitness and sharpness. I would rather leak goals and score than get a clean sheet and no goals.

I agree with you when it comes to Ameobi and Sibierski. The thing is that I don't think Newcastle can afford another big name. The moment Owen gets fit, the forward line will be Owen-Martins just because of their respective price tags/reputation. And I guess neither would settle for the bench. Assuming Martins is on high wages another player of the same (financial) calibre would also be bad considering the already unhealthy wage/turnover ratio. Which means that if Newcastle were looking for a partner for one of those they basically have to get rid of the other player - and in the end have to look for two players...

I don't think they can afford a big name either, just the right type of player to play alongside one of them, if they can't play together. If Martins is capable of playing a Bellamy type support role then it could work well, but can he ? Even if they do, we need a support player and ideally you need 4 forwards but I suppose Ameobi and Sib would have to be that 4th player having got a forward in then turned attention to the other areas. And remember, if Emre goes we will need a midfield player to replace him and to be honest I think this is a position where we could be strengthened as well anyway.

Jason Roberts would have been a decent shout, I said this in August, for a reasonable fee pound for pound, but now he's injured.

Really, we need about 5 players to challenge the top 4 and have to accept this is not going to happen within the next year or two, but if Roeder makes good judgement then we could well do it soon after that and in that event he would still be manager too.

First though, we have to pass the ball around and boss other teams by keeping it more because you won't do it by playing with your backs to the wall all the time, but better quality forward players will do this.

I don't think they can afford a big name either, just the right type of player to play alongside one of them, if they can't play together. If Martins is capable of playing a Bellamy type support role then it could work well, but can he ? Even if they do, we need a support player and ideally you need 4 forwards but I suppose Ameobi and Sib would have to be that 4th player having got a forward in then turned attention to the other areas. And remember, if Emre goes we will need a midfield player to replace him and to be honest I think this is a position where we could be strengthened as well anyway.

Jason Roberts would have been a decent shout, I said this in August, for a reasonable fee pound for pound, but now he's injured.

Really, we need about 5 players to challenge the top 4 and have to accept this is not going to happen within the next year or two, but if Roeder makes good judgement then we could well do it soon after that and in that event he would still be manager too.

First though, we have to pass the ball around and boss other teams by keeping it more because you won't do it by playing with your backs to the wall all the time, but better quality forward players will do this.

I agree with you, but think it is a case of both attack and defence. We have defenders who are just comfortable in pelting the ball forward and we have forwards who are not comfortable in keeping possession. The result is that we are under too much pressure most of the time. We certainly don't have the money to address all problem areas at the same time that why I am comfortable with a mixture of permanent and loan signings depending on which players are available.

I also agree with you about the midfield, although I don't think that Emre is really leaving. The chance that he is going to be sacked is more likely than the alleged interest of Bayern which seems to be a pure invention of the British tabloids as his name wasn't mentioned in the German press once as much as I am aware.

But we desperately need to come back where we have two options for every position. The squad is totally lacking depth since the tosser decided to totally destroy the structure of it.