Cooking

Gemmill

Versatile vegetagle, the courbette.

But seriously: a couple of courbettes shredded and sautéed with pancetta or smoked bacon, then stirred through pasta with some crème fraîche, parmesan and grilled chicken breast = easy dinner win. Basically a poor man's pesto, but hey. :D

Versatile vegetagle, the courbette.

But seriously: a couple of courbettes shredded and sautéed with pancetta or smoked bacon, then stirred through pasta with some crème fraîche, parmesan and grilled chicken breast = easy dinner win. Basically a poor man's pesto, but hey. :D

As I have an abundance of the little buggers, I need all the recipes I can get.

As I have an abundance of the little buggers, I need all the recipes I can get.

They're great sliced as the basis for stir-fries too. And then there's the legendary snipped-out-of-the-Chronicle-in-the-1980s flan recipe that I shall dredge up for you in just a mo. :D

They're nice in a pasta bake with some chopped roasted red peppers (which you can buy in shops apparently ;) ). Need to be tossed in a bit of oil and grilled or fried until they're starting to brown first though. For the pasta bake I use home made tomato sauce (not ketchup, CT) mixed with some mascarpone. Alternatively you can add some Phillie instead (or Light Philadelphia if you want a lower fat version). I wouldn't use the supermarket's own version of soft cheese as I tried that once and it didn't come out very nice. Top with cheese and bake in the oven. Very easy and tasty comfort food.

flan.jpg

There we go. Straight out of a Delia series in a beige 80s kitchen, but genuinely really nice. :D

(CT SAFETY NOTICES:

1) No, it doesn't have to be Caerphilly;

2) No, I don't actually use lard. :lol: 100g of margarine is fine;

3) "Decorate as shown" just means "hoy some rings of red and green pepper on top", which I rarely do anyway (but if you do, try not to use the roasted ones, eh?);

4) You can up the amounts of carrot and courgette by at least 50% without changing any of the other quantities and it'll still come out fine;

5) Seriously. Don't use lard.)

Pulled a courbette and chilli from the garden last night, added a bit of garlic and onion and gently fried with some Olive oil. Delicious. (And raised from a seed by me ). :)

uqahuvas.jpg

Where's the courbette?

Don't tell me you peeled them? ( with a focken axe, by the look of it?)