Cooking

Gemmill

Ahem :)

Christmas Dinner.

I had great fun making this today.

A very Jamie Oliver inspired occasion as I got the daughter to make Jamie's mince pies (which were to die for).

Jamie's best ever roasts potatoes (using the masher to squeeze them halfway through cooking)

Turkey packed with citrus infused butter under the skin and served the way he does it. (Breasts taken off whole, sliced and covered in a few spoons of gravy.

Complimented with a tray of roast parsnips and carrots and Pancetta sprouts.

9a6emupa.jpg

5a9e2uve.jpg

zu8y4a3u.jpg

y6ypuzaz.jpg

y9ubaqug.jpg

ebytetys.jpg

And joking and piss takes aside, a big Christmas thank you to all of you who have helped teach a hopeless case how to cook over the last few years!!! ;)

I've decided on tossing the sprouts (along with some carrots, which will hopefully mask their favour a bit) in flour and parmesan and roasting off in the oven. Going to do a potato dauphinois as well plus a cream of parsnip soup to start. Got a massive cheese board from borough market for late doors too so it's looking like a nice day of light eating

Edited by Dr Gloom

Anyone got a decent recipe for sprouts? Got a shitload coming in he organic box this week and feel obliged to serve them up for Christmas dinner despite hating them

Steam them for five mins then fry them in Walnut oil and walnuts, salt & pepper that's all you need.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Shrove Tuesday so having the day off with the family and started with pancakes for breakfast.

Never had you down as the religious sort.

BTW, who really likes pancakes? It's like turkey for me. If they were any good, you'd have them more than once a year.

BTW, who really likes pancakes? It's like turkey for me. If they were any good, you'd have them more than once a year.

:aye:

Someone introduced me to savoury pancakes a few years back; goats cheese, bacon and spinach. Lovely but like you said, the pancake bit is ... meh

It's just a bland accompaniment to the stuff that actually tastes nice.

I use turkey mince but aye, you'd never pick turkey as your roast of choice outside of Christmas. As for pancakes, I'll have them very occasionally during the year but I agree they're a bit crêpe.

I actually had a crepe the other day (not a euphemism) as I took my eldest to the Kaspa's after going to the Discovery Museum and didn't want four litres of ice cream. Fish is right though.

Edited by Alex

just started getting the riverford recipe boxes delivered. it's cool. you get the exact amount of food you need for each meal, so no wastage, and new recipes every week, which are all pretty easy to cook, but often things you wouldn't usually try midweek. been getting the happy pear and veggie boxes, so works out at just over a tenner for each meal for two

http://www.riverford.co.uk/shop/recipeboxes?_$ja=tsid:|cid:393706156|agid:19913007076|tid:kwd-23341420076|crid:79585875556|nw:g|rnd:7200090861325881473|dvc:c|adp:1t1&gclid=CNq9q_nK6soCFUn4wgod2moI4g