Cooking

Gemmill

I do a pretty decent curry using these mixed spices packs we get to which you add fresh garlic, ginger, lemon and so on. We started using them when our lass was going to slimming world but I make them  using coconut oil instead of the spray fry light shit they suggest. I wouldn’t say they’re authentic takeaway style but they’re easy to make and a canny bit healthier. I find it makes a difference cooking the onions first for a good 20 mins. I love takeaway curries but not every week like I would eat these. That’s my shit cooking anecdote. 

• Haha 1

Aye, slow-cooking onions improves anything if you can be arsed. I made an onion soup the other week that was brilliant but the onions needed an hour and a half on an ultra-low heat with fairly regular stirring. Fuck doing that again in a hurry. :lol: 

Reminds me of where I used to work. There was a French onion seller used to come round once a year. He married a lady from up here. The onions, shallots and garlic he sold were amazing. He featured on the Normandy episode of ‘Coast’ a few years later after he’d retired. I made some lovely French onion soup with them a few times. He had the most bizarre French accent with a slight Geordie twang 

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Get yourselves a Ninja. Makes an absolute doddle of all this cooking lark. Pressure cook, sauté, air crisp, grill, bake, roast, slow cook, make yoghurt, all in the one machine.

Then make this.

You still using an axe to chop your vegetables, Weeble? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

That curry he does looks the bollocks but there's no way I'd buy all of the stuff required, have time to do it all, have space in the freezer and go to all the effort for what would probably be a one off. (CT take note..... know thyself). ;)

That’s exactly what I thought when my son pointed us at it, but he gave us a portion of gravy to try and now we’re currently into/using our third iteration of base gravy, tremendous curry on demand. 

It is an absolute ball ache making the gravy but you only need to do it every 4-6 weeks or so as you get make enough base for 12 curry portions. (Freezer space issue notwithstanding). 

Big bags of the spices from local Indian supermarket for multiple batches/curries for the cost of a single takeaway.

If it’s not pissing down on Saturday, I’m going to try and smoke a massive piece of brisket I got from the butchers. 

By my maths I need to starting the first fire at about half 7 to be eating it at 3ish so I doubt it will be a regular occurrence.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a recipe for pulled pork, thought blimey that's a lot of meat for the 3 people the blog mentioned, but lets give it a go, maybe it'll reduce in the oven.

2Kg pork slow cooked for hours, and I find it's not reduced that much so I re-read the recipe. 6 people dickhead, it's for six people.

• Haha 1

:lol: there was an even smaller one that I just snaffled straight away. The dough was a fucking nightmare cos of the heat so I was just trying not to push all the air out of it so no time to weight the bits I was cutting off it. 

• Haha 1