Cooking

Gemmill

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

I got them in Aldi. They were a special buy rather than an Aldi branded rip off. But I looked at where to get them because I was really impressed. Only tried the Goan one which was the hot end of medium hot but would definitely try some more off the back of that. 

I legit walked past them thinking “I can make a curry cheaper than that” but now that know they’re artisan and have a website I could fancy some.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I got them in Aldi. They were a special buy rather than an Aldi branded rip off. But I looked at where to get them because I was really impressed. Only tried the Goan one which was the hot end of medium hot but would definitely try some more off the back of that. 

That’s what I get for not looking properly. I’ll pick some up next week. They’ve started doing chilli jam now as well so what an exciting shopping trip this is going to be!!!!

God, I miss the pub 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

AL's kitchen is the way to go :) base gravy day last Saturday (the base gravy Gemmill is too lazy to make).

They look class like. It does look like a bit of a chew on as well though

Edited by Alex

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

They look class like. It does look like a bit of a chew on as well though

It is a few hours work, but you get ~18 person curry portions worth, 9 curries for two (with a portion over for next day usually) we freeze our gravy in those metal takeaway cartons, 3 ladles each :) Usually make it up when we're down to a couple of cartons, our last batch was made 5th July (I write date on the lid) so it's not like you do it very often - depending on curry consumption obvs !!

Like a well oiled machine now, Mrs makes up sealed pots of the spices for the various recipe's and whenever chopping onion we do a bit more and put aside and freeze 30g/half (a curry portion) if she's making her amazing peas pud we put aside some of the softened yellow lentils and freeze them for a dhansak.

Tremendous curry in around 30 minutes any time we want :)

Final tip, not sure if it's been mentioned here before, buy uncooked poppadum's - microwave minute to minute and a half - super fresh and crispy :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Didn’t have arugula, used cilantro instead… :lol:

Stick that in your skillet and broil it.

And no, I'd thought similar but cooking them whole means they still have a decent bit of bite to them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...