Cooking

Gemmill

hmmm chinese or kebab

Are the kebabs on naan bread or pitta round your way, mate?

If it's pitta then sack it and go for the Chinese tbh.

Naan bread, its cheaper aswell

I'm going for kebab

Well played.

Onion Bhajis

Having a bash at making a healthy version of these, ie baked not deep fried.

There in the oven but I think I may have missed out a key bit of pre-baking cooking off the onions :o

28vsjv7.jpg

Will let you all know.

As usual if anyone already makes these then share away.

Here's a side salad for curry night you might like.

Ingredients-Cucumber, Red Onion, Natural Yoghurt, Mjnt ( fresh if you've got it).

1.chop the mint and mix it with the yoghurt, you want about 2-3 tablespoons of yoghurt.

2. Peel the cucumber and slice it into 5mm ish rounds.

3. Lay the slices out on kitchen roll and pat them dry. You want them as dry as possible.

4.slice the red onion as finely as you can. You want either quarter rings or diced.

5. Mix the onion and cucumber, add a sprinkle of salt to taste.

6. Knock back the yoghurt with water or milk to a loose coating consistency

7. Just before serving, add the yoghurt to the salad and coat well

Onion Bhajis

Having a bash at making a healthy version of these, ie baked not deep fried.

There in the oven but I think I may have missed out a key bit of pre-baking cooking off the onions :o

28vsjv7.jpg

Will let you all know.

As usual if anyone already makes these then share away.

Here's a side salad for curry night you might like.

Ingredients-Cucumber, Red Onion, Natural Yoghurt, Mjnt ( fresh if you've got it).

1.chop the mint and mix it with the yoghurt, you want about 2-3 tablespoons of yoghurt.

2. Peel the cucumber and slice it into 5mm ish rounds.

3. Lay the slices out on kitchen roll and pat them dry. You want them as dry as possible.

4.slice the red onion as finely as you can. You want either quarter rings or diced.

5. Mix the onion and cucumber, add a sprinkle of salt to taste.

6. Knock back the yoghurt with water or milk to a loose coating consistency

7. Just before serving, add the yoghurt to the salad and coat well

On the to do list along with this recipe for something called Bombay Aloo

http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/recipes/Bombay-Aloo.html

I fucked the kebab off

going to have a a ham and mustard buttie in a bit

fancy an onion bharji now :o

Dead easy. I was looking at this Baked version recipe here.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/16164/baked-onion-bhajis.aspx

And this Jamie oliver deep fried version here

http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/article-view.php?id=1683

In excitement, I ended using the fried recipe, then baked them :( :( :( Also worth noting that besan flour is best, but I just used plain.

Heres what I did.

Ingredients SERVES 2 (makes 5 or 6)

1 medium onion, halved and sliced

100g plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp chilli powder

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground turmeric

pinch of salt

Method

Mix the flour, spices and salt in a bowl. Gradually mix in enough water to make a quite thick, sticky batter. Add the onions and mix well.

Get your hands in and make 5 or 6 mini snowballs and place on a baking tray.

Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes, drizzle a little oil on top of the bhajis and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot, enjoy!

I then googled this sauce recipe to serve with them and made as instructed (we had no mint). Very nice.

natural yoghurt, spoon of mango chutney, mint sauce, juice 1/2 lime, touch of tumeric and chilli powder.
Edited by Christmas Tree

The 'Murder Dinner'. Been to one of those banquets before and it was a nightmare, trying to eat salad with a dagger ffs. Menu doesn't sound too great for tonight (Northumbrian broth, chicken & veg, profiteroles) so I'm hoping the murder mystery aspect will be canny.

That sounds canny. And yeah the banquet thing is shit. The food is crap, and when I went we were put on the top table which meant you sat in a line and couldn't talk or anything. Shit.

It wasn't too bad last night actually. The food was alright (better than the banquet) and the entertainment was cheesy, but one of those things you just have to go along with. Plus the meal was nicely spaced out so you didn't feel rushed and the evening went by quite quickly. The only problem really was one table which were talking through the whole thing and had to be told to shut up a few times, but they all fucked off (god knows where to) after the main course. I guessed the murderer right but didn't win.. my mate sitting next to me did. :(

Not a deliberate Dr Ken copy, but I'm doing chicken breasts stuffed with mozzarella and wrapped in parma ham on a bed of roasted courgettes, tomatoes and garlic. Buttered new spuds on the side. Smashing.

My cooker blew up over a week ago, I've ordered a new one but it won't arrive until next Tuesday. We're now sick of Microwave meals, soup and bread and fish and chips! We've eaten out twice and will do again on Saturday and probably have a chinese on Friday night. Yesterday I suddenly remembered the existence of a slow cooker in the back of a cupboard!! I bought it about 6 years ago, its never been out of the box. I saw it on offer and snapped it up, put it away and that was it!

So I've found a good site with helpful hints and tips for slow cooking with some tasty sounding recipes. I've got a beef in red wine and veggies cooking now.

But I'm a complete novice with slow cookers so if any of you have any good recipes or your own tips for me I'd appreciate it!

Theres some on the channel 4 food website, Beverley. :good:

I made vegetable rogan josh last night. Surprisingly nice.

Mmmmmmm :icon_lol:

Thank you Bianca :( ( :( I'm normally only called Beverley when I'm in trouble)! Hey, well done for putting the third 'e' Most people annoying leave that out.

I will have a look on that site. I don't know what today's meal will turn out like as ideally I should I have browned the meat first, but couldn't as I have no cooker :rolleyes:

Edited by Toonraider

Just woke up, had 2 slices of toast with cottage cheese on and a banana. Finishing this coffee then heading to the gym. It's always hard to get into the zone when you're on nightshift :( Though it usually fucks me up enough to send me back to sleep for a few hours before I go in