Cooking

Gemmill

What is it about re-heated chilli/bolognese/curry that makes it taste better?

Flavours develop over time. I always make chilli the day before if I can.

Salmon with asparagus and sugar snaps for tea tonight. Lah-di-dah and that.

I swear by Iceland's "Fish in Five" microwave range, especially the salmon (and especially especially the florentine sauce one). They rightly get sneered at for their adverts and some of their grottier party food, but in this case they're on the right side of the "convenient and tasty"/"CT's Kitchen Nightmares" divide. :D

Cold leftover curry is a joyous thing, great hangover cure too

Sign of a good takeaway is if it cures damage the booze that lead you to buy it caused the night before.

Sounds like that would be handy for work actually.

Microwave rice is loads more interesting than it used to be, too - the Tilda Humara range is canny, I wouldn't pay full price but you see them on offer quite a lot. One of those salmon things and a pouch of Khichdi or Hakka and that's some decent limited-work-kitchen-friendly scran and not much more than 500 calories too.

Oh and can I have your tarka dhal recipe please? :)

Certainly can, I used this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarkadal_90055

Used half a tin of tomatoes instead of fresh. No discernible difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Not cooking exactly but food-related. There's a really nice pizza place that opened recently at Four Lane Ends. It's really just a takeawy place, although there's a few small seats to eat inside. It sells it by the slice or does 12" ones to take away. Does nice coffee too. The bloke was preparing the dough fresh when I was in and they're actually Italian, believe it or not. Either that or the bloke and the wife who run are engaging in an elaborate ruse. It's next door to the Sunlight Dry Cleaners for those in the vicinity. Don't think they have a website or owt. It's about £5 for a Margherita and £7-ish for the other ones.

I fucking love pizza so I got quite excited when I found out it was nice :lol: As most places flog greasy shit in the Newcastle area.

We eventually went there last night. Top recommendation, the pizza was outstanding. We just shared one and sat in, if we'd been more drunk we genuinely would've walked back up to the counter and ordered another one immediately, it was that nice. :lol:

Edit - here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pizzeriaitalianewcastle

Edited by Jill

• 2 weeks later...

Got one of these in the veg box :gay: last week:

crown-prince-pumpk_1749710c.jpg

Massive bugger, absolute pain to prepare. :D Just chucked about a kilo of it into a vat of an improvised Moroccan-ish spicy chicken and couscous hotpot type thing. Turned out decently, but definitely the most orange meal I've ever eaten (and I've binged on a 14-pack of Wotsits from Family Bargains after one voddy & tonic too many).