Cooking

Gemmill

Yeah, that’s what I did. Just edited out my mistake!

I’ve been baking bread in a cast iron cooking pot with high sides so far, which forces the bread up and produces great height. I was worried because of that that this one hadn’t risen on the pizza stone, but once I sliced it I could see there was nothing to worry about - it’s got great distribution of air and it just means you get a crustier loaf, which is more delicious, if less suited for sandwiches. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, that’s what I did. Just edited out my mistake!

I’ve been baking bread in a cast iron cooking pot with high sides so far, which forces the bread up and produces great height. I was worried because of that that this one hadn’t risen on the pizza stone, but once I sliced it I could see there was nothing to worry about - it’s got great distribution of air and it just means you get a crustier loaf, which is more delicious, if less suited for sandwiches. 

I also put rolled up towels in a baking tray and tip boiling water over them. Just enough so that the towels are soaked through. Then that goes in the bottom of the oven for the first 15 minutes of the bake. All the steam makes for a sexier crust. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I also put rolled up towels in a baking tray and tip boiling water over them. Just enough so that the towels are soaked through. Then that goes in the bottom of the oven for the first 15 minutes of the bake. All the steam makes for a sexier crust. 

interesting, i just chucked a glass of water in a baking tray below

On 29/04/2020 at 11:34, Meenzer said:

The low-key star of that monstrosity is the "pork & egg nuggets". :lol: I love how they've just smuggled the phrase in there as if it's definitely a normal thing that people eat all the time.

:lol:

I was just saying the other day, 'I could fancy some pork & egg nuggets, mind.'

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

I was just saying the other day, 'I could fancy some pork & egg nuggets, mind.'

“How are the pork & egg nuggets did you say?”

Edited by Isegrim
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I've got a 16kg bag of white flour coming this week. Mistakenly ordered a 16kg bag of wholemeal last time. Tried to make a loaf with it yesterday and it went straight in the bin.

embrace it. there are few things as uplifting during lockdown than gorging on freshly-baked bread. 

having typed that, i realise just how much i need to get out of the house more 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

embrace it. there are few things as uplifting during lockdown than gorging on freshly-baked bread. 

having typed that, i realise just how much i need to get in to my shed more 

FYP

• Haha 1