Cooking

Gemmill

22 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Nice. I've got a 16kg bag of white flour coming this week. Mistakenly ordered a 16kg bag of wholemeal last time. Tried to make a loaf with it yesterday and it went straight in the bin.

50/50 mix is good 

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I mean come on. Paul Hollywood can just fuck off at this stage. 

20200517_130535_compress92.jpg

Good work. Did you use a shaping basket for that?

• Haha 1

How’s the rise? Did you do it on a pizza stone? The sourdoughs I did like that came out great but I would have liked them a little higher 

Aye it's done on a stone. I'm not cutting into it for a bit yet cos I don't want to be freezing slices while they're still warm. Don't worry, there'll be photos when I do :lol:

Aye up until today the rise on mine has always been disappointing too. This looks to be the best one yet so I'm hoping it looks good once it's cut into.

One thing I've done is bought a heat pad to sit my starter on. So it sits out overnight on this heat pad and by the time I get up the next morning the starter has doubled in volume and is full of bubbles. This is the first bake since I've done that, and the loaf has risen much more than previously. Might be worth a try - pad only cost a tenner on Amazon. I just bought one that sticks on the side of a reptile tank which does temps from 15 to 35 degrees. Set it about halfway up on the dial and leave it. 

my starter has been retarding in the fridge this week because i stumbled across some fresh yeast. going to start feeding it again next week. 

was thinking of trying to make some crumpets and bagels. it's a fucking rollercoaster ride around our way 

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

my starter has been retarding in the fridge this week because i stumbled across some fresh yeast. going to start feeding it again next week. 

was thinking of trying to make some crumpets and bagels. it's a fucking rollercoaster ride around our way 

I've got a second starter that I'm converting to white over the course of the week ready for a white loaf this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Dr Gloom

Strong recommend for this wife's recipe/approach with Sourdough. An absolute piece of piss to do (no kneading required) and good results (pics below). 

Narrative here:

https://foodbodsourdough.com/about-my-recipe/

Video here:

And lads, don't worry, you've read this far for something to take the piss out of.... Here's the photos:

20200529_153524_compress71.jpg

20200529_175227_compress70.jpg