Cooking

Gemmill

I've been in loads of times and never once had a bad experience.

Some people are more easily pleased ;)

Didn't Gemmil once make a 600 mile round trip to pay £20 for a Jamie Oliver bowl of pea soup!

Anyway, I hope you are right and it turns out to be a good eatery as there's not many around here.

However currently it's the 23rd best restaurant in South Shields and even surpassed by two local chippys ! :lol:

Fuck me, I'm sold
You mock, but you don't know what it's like living in the backwoods. :(Every pub ( and there's many ) around here simply sell fosters or Carlsberg. That is the choice, so getting something different is quite something. Edited by Christmas Tree

You mock, but you don't know what it's like living in the backwoods. :(Every pub ( and there's many ) around here simply sell fosters or Carlsberg. That is the choice, so getting something different is quite something.

Ouch. I withdraw my mocking, that's practically an abuse of human rights.

Some people are more easily pleased ;)

Didn't Gemmil once make a 600 mile round trip to pay £20 for a Jamie Oliver bowl of pea soup!

Anyway, I hope you are right and it turns out to be a good eatery as there's not many around here.

However currently it's the 23rd best restaurant in South Shields and even surpassed by two local chippys ! :lol:

I was in Cornwall, so visited fifteen. And I didn't have pea soup. You would have found the nearest Yates's. :razz:

Just had salmon baked with courgette, green beans, sweet pepper and vine cherry tomatoes.

Bit of honey, balsamic, garlic and sugar to season and served with quinoa (had a packet of pre-cooked from M&S).

Sublime and all done in one pan. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Salt and chilli Peeper Chicken (like you get in the Chinese takeaway).

Im sure some of you will have had this before from the local takeaway. Its a pretty new thing amongst the ones we use and has only really being popular over the last year. Anyway, today I found a recipe on the net, made it, and I kid thee not it is better than the stuff from the takeaway.

I was trying two different recipes so made it once with fresh chicken fillets and once with Asda fresh chicken bites (posh peoples chicken nuggets as its proper chicken inside).

Takes no time to prepare and virtually no time in the pan.

Salt and Chilli Chicken

¼ Cup of plain flour

¾ tsp of Chinese 5 spices

1 ¼ tsp salt

1 tsp ground white pepper

½ tsp Ground Ginger

2 / 3 chicken breasts or Asda breaded chicken bites *

Oil

1 Garlic clove crushed

2 spring onions sliced

1 red and 1 green Chilli sliced and chopped small

Combine flour and spices in a bowl.

Cut chicken into 1cm strips / chunks and toss in flour to coat

Heat frying pan and add enough oil to thinly cover base

Fry chicken over medium heat until golden. Just before removing add garlic, spring onions and Chillis and cook everything together for 1 minute.

Eat and lick lips.

* If using the the chicken bites, cook as instructed in the oven for 10 minutes.

When ready coat chicken in flour and spices and then cook in the frying pan for two minutes before adding the garlic, spring onions and Chillis.

Used Chillis for the first time ever yesterday and the instructions said where gloves when using.

So there I was all done up with the disposable gloves I use for picking up the occasional dog turd in the garden and I thought to myself really....?

Do people normally where gloves?

The instructions also said get rid of the seeds but when the local chinese delivers them there is always seeds in the carton and they just seem to add to the flavour.