Cooking

Gemmill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some friends coming for dinner at the weekend for my birthday.

Have decided to do …

Starter

Grilled Sea Bass Fillet with Samphire in garlic and lemon butter.

Main

Slow cooked Lamb Shanks In Port and Wine with Garlic and Rosemary Lentils

Dessert

Belgian Chocolate Pudding with with Homemade Orange Ice Cream.

Can't wait.

Got some friends coming for dinner at the weekend for my birthday.

Have decided to do …

Starter

Grilled Sea Bass Fillet with Samphire in garlic and lemon butter.

Main

Slow cooked Lamb Shanks In Port and Wine with Garlic and Rosemary Lentils

Dessert

Belgian Chocolate Pudding with with Homemade Orange Ice Cream.

Can't wait.

Can I be your friend? :lol:

Single fillet of sea bass, small one, sitting on the samphire with a lemon and garlic oil dressing.

Takes 6-8 minutes cooking at most.

Slow cook the shanks for 3-3.5 hrs, reduce the cooking liquor right down and glaze the shanks with it.

Lentils done in lamb stock with caramelised onions, diced carrot and celery, rosemary and garlic.

Obviously this will be all ready in advance, and popped in the oven to warm while starters are being made and served.

Cheating on the pudding, but ice cream is getting made tomorrow.

You really need a delicate cardamom sorbet between the starter and main course. And of course I hope your wine/port combo doesn't offend centuries of wine making tradition, let alone Chez.

I've also heard lentils tend to cause cockrot.

Single fillet of sea bass, small one, sitting on the samphire with a lemon and garlic oil dressing.

Takes 6-8 minutes cooking at most.

Slow cook the shanks for 3-3.5 hrs, reduce the cooking liquor right down and glaze the shanks with it.

Lentils done in lamb stock with caramelised onions, diced carrot and celery, rosemary and garlic.

Obviously this will be all ready in advance, and popped in the oven to warm while starters are being made and served.

Cheating on the pudding, but ice cream is getting made tomorrow.

For the sea bass, i'd go with a Chablis and for the lamb shanks a Bordeaux, something from Saint-Estephe if you can find it.

:lol:

Seriously though, cheers for the tip Chez. The friends that are coming went on a wine tasting day two weeks ago, so if I get the right wines it's 1000 Fisty points to me.

Cheers.

IImage not loading for me :(

For special occasions, dont try and find cheap options. 15 quid a bottle isnt that much when you think about how much you spend on drinks on a night out or on wine in a restaurant. Obviously you cant spend that all the time but for birthdays etc i always think you should push the boat out a little. Nae point slaving over a hot stove and then serving it with cans of carling.

A quick 3 mile run followed by coconut and banana pancakes with maple syrup. A day of cooking/house hunting awaits.

House for sale next to me :)

We could share some YouTube garden sessions over a homebrew and one of your Jamie offerings.

Going to make a lamb tagine tomorrow. Never tried it before so it should be interesting.

I shall also be making chocolate crispie cakes if anyone wants one.

House for sale next to me :)

We could share some YouTube garden sessions over a homebrew and one of your Jamie offerings.

We're looking at new builds, but thanks for thinking of me. ;)

Going to make a lamb tagine tomorrow. Never tried it before so it should be interesting.

I shall also be making chocolate crispie cakes if anyone wants one.

...and they say women can't cook. ;)