Cooking

Gemmill

Going to make BBQ (buying in the sauce i'm afraid :( ) ribs with coleslaw and sweet potato rosti tonight, then sit in front of Deadwood Series 3 and drink beer.

Never made the above rosti before, but just going to grate SP and onion together and thrown in a homemade BBQ rub.

Need suggestions for tomorrow night. I'm thinking along the lines of chilli, curry or pasta bake, i.e. something that's not too much hassle and will leave leftovers for Sunday. I'm not feeling very inspired though. Might just be lazy and order an Indians. :lol:

Might give them a go cos was gonna have a blast at home made pizzas, but i'm always up for effort avoidance if it tastes decent.

I've done my own homemade ones before and I honestly wouldn't bother after trying these. Homemade ones are nice but they're a faff and then it's hard to stretch the dough enough to get them thin enough. With these kits you get enough for two pizzas (oblong ones, the size of a baking tray) and the sauce comes with it. I'm not normally one for shop bought pasta sauce type things either but this is spot on, so you don't even need to make that. You then just out your own topping on. Sorry if I'm teaching Grandma how to suck eggs here but just make sure you don't put too much topping on and slice your topping really thin. They cost about £2.50 and they're nicer than any 'fresh' ones I've bought in a supermarket before.

I've done my own homemade ones before and I honestly wouldn't bother after trying these. Homemade ones are nice but they're a faff and then it's hard to stretch the dough enough to get them thin enough. With these kits you get enough for two pizzas (oblong ones, the size of a baking tray) and the sauce comes with it. I'm not normally one for shop bought pasta sauce type things either but this is spot on, so you don't even need to make that. You then just out your own topping on. Sorry if I'm teaching Grandma how to suck eggs here but just make sure you don't put too much topping on and slice your topping really thin. They cost about £2.50 and they're nicer than any 'fresh' ones I've bought in a supermarket before.

Given that Pizza is glorified, and not as nice, cheese on toast, am not normally a fan, but I grew some Scotch Bonnett chillis last year and my lad made some batches of Chilli ketchup with them, that used as the base sauce for a homemade pizza is absolutely fucking the business.

Confirmation on the quality of the Jus Rol pizza dough. Thin and crispy base, and the tomato sauce is canny. Just had half a one for tea with the following ingredients:

Red onion

Mushroom

Green olives

Parma ham

Mozzarella

Ricotta

Dried chilli flakes

Hey, you've really let yourself go mind CT !

. . Having said that - have y tried the kofta mix sachets you can get at asian supermarkets ?

No I havent.

I found this recipe which I thought I would try, but just wondered if any of our resident chefs new any better versions.

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon plain flour

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:

Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!