Ricky Gervais - online sale NOW (10PM)

Ugly Mackems

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand anyone not liking The Office tbh. It was the perfect British comedy imo.

Aye, its absolutely brilliant. Most people that don't like it say that because they don't 'get it', so to speak. Their loss. :)

I can't understand anyone not liking The Office tbh. It was the perfect British comedy imo.

Aye, its absolutely brilliant. Most people that don't like it say that because they don't 'get it', so to speak. Their loss. :(

Yeah, fancy trying to use 'not getting it' as an excuse for not liking a comedy. :)

Aye, its absolutely brilliant. Most people that don't like it say that because they don't 'get it', so to speak. Their loss. :(

Yeah, fancy trying to use 'not getting it' as an excuse for not liking a comedy. :)

Wha? :(

Most comedies consist of characters trying to be funny people, so people either like it if they think its funny, or don't like it if they don't find it funny. With The Office, quite a lot of people watch it and presume that Brent is meant to be a funny character, and when they don't laugh at his shit banter they say they don't like the show.

He's a really un-funny bloke, which is what makes it so funny. Can't think of many other comedies where the humour comes out of someone basically being a bellend, Partridge obviously but not a lot else off the top of my head.

Most comedies consist of characters trying to be funny people, so people either like it if they think its funny, or don't like it if they don't find it funny. With The Office, quite a lot of people watch it and presume that Brent is meant to be a funny character, and when they don't laugh at his shit banter they say they don't like the show.

He's a really un-funny bloke, which is what makes it so funny. Can't think of many other comedies where the humour comes out of someone basically being a bellend, Partridge obviously but not a lot else off the top of my head.

Dad's Army? Fawlty Towers?

Never really watched Dad's Army, but why do you say Fawlty Towers? Can't see the relevance - the characters in that are funny.

Never really watched Dad's Army, but why do you say Fawlty Towers? Can't see the relevance - the characters in that are funny.

Yes but Basil's a complete nob man, hense why it's funny.

Aye, its absolutely brilliant. Most people that don't like it say that because they don't 'get it', so to speak. Their loss. :razz:

Yeah, fancy trying to use 'not getting it' as an excuse for not liking a comedy. :rolleyes:

Wha? :razz:

I 'get' Extras, ie I can see the jokes (the same four or five used in every episode) but I don't find it funny because said jokes are tiresome, recycled and basically shit.

I like The Office though.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Just found out Stewart Francis is supporting him, superb gag-teller and pun artist:

Excellent news, i'd assumed it would be his mate Robin Ince supporting as normal (who is fine himself) but Francis is great, firing out his deadpan one liners an has a mind a bit like Stephen Wright.

• 2 weeks later...
Enjoyed this last night. There were some weaker bits but some very funny bits too. The support bloke was canny funny as well.

Do you remeber what time the support went on?

I want to leave it as late as possible and avoid the city hall bar.

Enjoyed this last night. There were some weaker bits but some very funny bits too. The support bloke was canny funny as well.

Support went on around 25 to, maybe 20 to 8 and was done by around 8.

Gervais is on at 8:20 and has a sign up saying "latecomers will not be admitted at the request of the artist". Don't think that was strictly applied though.

Support went on around 25 to, maybe 20 to 8 and was done by around 8.

Gervais is on at 8:20 and has a sign up saying "latecomers will not be admitted at the request of the artist". Don't think that was strictly applied though.

So is he off by ten or does he have an intermission?

It was quite good, nothing earth shattering. To my mind, the best stand-ups change their act a bit every night: a bit of audience interaction or throwing in some local place names etc. I can just imagine him regurgitating exactly the same show in every city up and down the country. Not that it wasn't decent, there were some good lines and big laughs in it, just a bit same-y.

I was mostly smiling throughout, laughed out loud a few times and one or two lines got polite applause rather than enthusiastic, but it really had the smell of cashing in about it....like he agreed to do a tour called Science but spent too much time on his films and flannimals, couldn't think of any science based comedy and whacked the show together in a week or two basing it on religion and animals material he cut out of previous shows.

I was amazed when he did the "isn't it funny when you trip and do a little jog" bit. I saw Billiy Connolly do that bit 20 years ago. As he was saying it I assumed he was going to subvert a famously overused skit....but he just left it at that which was woefully lazy.