Summer Internships

BastianSchweinsteiger

Hello, I am currently studying a Maths/Stats degree at Newcastle University and I was just wondering if it is possible to do work experience over the summer. I want to work in the financial sector and so far, every site I have been on (HSBC, RBS, etc.) say that one of the entry criteria is that you must be in the pen-ultimate year of your studies, although I am an first-year undergraduate. Does anyone have any useful websites which I can visit?

Thanks in advance

As they say, wait until your penultimate year for a summer placement at one of the big firms. Just try and get some sort of work experience in the mean time so you have something to talk about in an interview/application form. Those summer internships are extremely competitive aswell, theres literally a handful of places and thousands of applicants. I couldn't be arsed myself, but my mate has tried them all and been rejected every time, and he's a mathematical guru.

Speak to the careers service, I know here at Sheffield they're excellent for things like this and will tell you what steps you can take for specific sectors.

Hello, I am currently studying a Maths/Stats degree at Newcastle University and I was just wondering if it is possible to do work experience over the summer. I want to work in the financial sector and so far, every site I have been on (HSBC, RBS, etc.) say that one of the entry criteria is that you must be in the pen-ultimate year of your studies, although I am an first-year undergraduate. Does anyone have any useful websites which I can visit?

Thanks in advance

Get in touch with Northern Rock. They'll not have you working on anything interesting, but it's a bit of spare cash, and a foot in the door, and I'm sure they'd be interested in taking you on if not for an internship then just for monkey work. If you make a good impression you'd give yourself a good chance with any proper internship programmes they might have going.