Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

http://m.ebuyer.com/248760

Slight tweak to my media set up. Sticking two 1TB drives in to this and Ethernet in to my router. I run yamj (a movie jukebox) from my PC desktop and also connect a popcorn hour which as an iPhone app to run it.

Fill it with films etc for us and kids. All my DVDs and bluerays on it etc. can play various file formats as well and I even have a folder for home made movies (of the kids before you get ideas ;) )

I picked up a Synology ds413j (NAS) the other week. Currently only have a single 3TB drive in it, but it's whisper quiet and when I can get the time to finish setting it up properly it will service the whole house with media whilst consuming a lot less power than the PC, producing a lot less heat and obviously being a whole lot quieter.

I picked up a Synology ds413j (NAS) the other week. Currently only have a single 3TB drive in it, but it's whisper quiet and when I can get the time to finish setting it up properly it will service the whole house with media whilst consuming a lot less power than the PC, producing a lot less heat and obviously being a whole lot quieter.

Yeah Im not sure about noise yet. Also I have the 2 x 1TB drives full of films and when I add then to this I know its going to format them. So I need to do some juggling to get one drive empty and add it them move my films over then format the second etc.

Yeah Im not sure about noise yet. Also I have the 2 x 1TB drives full of films and when I add then to this I know its going to format them. So I need to do some juggling to get one drive empty and add it them move my films over then format the second etc.

I'm after a NAS and I've been looking at the synology ones. They seem to rate well and are complimented by a decent feature spec. I was looking at the ds212j (lower end) and they look pretty good too. I can't decide if the 400 series is worth the extra cash or not? What made you go for the 413j?

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, wearing the company colours underneath ;)

$(KGrHqJHJCQE9qvQ6vpoBPhudkH0F!~~60_35.JPG

Edit: btw, Montane is the shit when it comes to outdoor/cycling/running gear, and they're a local company.

Ive got a Montane featherlight waterproof for on the bike, cheap and shithot.

I'm after a NAS and I've been looking at the synology ones. They seem to rate well and are complimented by a decent feature spec. I was looking at the ds212j (lower end) and they look pretty good too. I can't decide if the 400 series is worth the extra cash or not? What made you go for the 413j?

Mainly the ability to house 4 drives (as opposed to 2 in the 212j) it also has a faster CPU and more RAM.

The j series is the more budget series so the 4 bay one doesn't look as nice as the others - but it's not ugly.

Edited by OTF

They've been flogging that sort of gear for a while now but have they actually played a game?

Paul Scholes testimonial :)

It was only a tenner so I wasn't going to argue about the progress of their MLS aspirations.

I rarely buy myself anything, including clothes and shoes. I've not had a holiday in 4 years and no annual leave since April, plus I work overtime every week.

I decided I was worth treating myself :)