Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

I meant a tutorial for the rest ;)

writing tutorials for me pffft, meant it's no use for me though , i need something capable of rendering 1080p movies/other encoded files from my file share.. i've a wdtv anyway

(fired XMBCBuntu on a usb stick earlier and got it working xperiance is a good skin/theme if any of you are looking for one)

Absolute gobbledegook.

I meant a tutorial for the rest ;)

writing tutorials for me pffft, meant it's no use for me though , i need something capable of rendering 1080p movies/other encoded files from my file share.. i've a wdtv anyway

(fired XMBCBuntu on a usb stick earlier and got it working xperiance is a good skin/theme if any of you are looking for one)

I could write a huge book detailing what time and money I've spent over the past few years simply trying to make music and video available throughout my house - especially the lounge. I often think I could have bought the box sets and dvd s of everything I have twice over and still have money left.

It has challenged the geek in me though.

I could write a huge book detailing what time and money I've spent over the past few years simply trying to make music and video available throughout my house - especially the lounge. I often think I could have bought the box sets and dvd s of everything I have twice over and still have money left.

It has challenged the geek in me though.

What's the cliff notes version of what you arrived at?

What's the cliff notes version of what you arrived at?

Gigabit based home network with NAS storage and various media players/ client PCs

Also X10 based automation and universal control.

just nice to have, a universal system to watch your stuff or play music through out the house controlled by the same remotes or panels.

Hmm. Dont get it for music, the best remote for my music is the iPod app on my phone. The best quality music in the house (from an audio perspective) is on vinyl. It might be possible to pipe the vinyl round the house but it would be kind of stupid as you have to physically change the music.

For films and that, if i am going to watch a film, i'll make a few drinks, sort some snacks out, get the lighting right and settle in. Not sure why i'd want that piped round a house. Not convinced it isnt anything other than an end in itself for techies. Sounds very expensive for very little added utility.

Hmm. Dont get it for music, the best remote for my music is the iPod app on my phone. The best quality music in the house (from an audio perspective) is on vinyl. It might be possible to pipe the vinyl round the house but it would be kind of stupid as you have to physically change the music. 

For films and that, if i am going to watch a film, i'll make a few drinks, sort some snacks out, get the lighting right and settle in. Not sure why i'd want that piped round a house. Not convinced it isnt anything other than an end in itself for techies. Sounds very expensive for very little added utility. 

Probably true for music but for video I have the lounge, bedrooms and computer room all accessing the same content. For a "proper" viewing I do settle down as you say but like to be able to press one button to lower blinds, switch off lights and set things away.

I completely accept the techie challenge angle of course.