Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

We were evicted from our hole in the ground. We had to go and live in a lake.

You were lucky.

lol i broke into newly built houses on the estate we moved to when i was about 10, i was one of those adventerous kids brought up on the goonies who did stupid shit, So i had 3-4 bedroom detached houses as my club house, most of which only had floorboards in a few rooms :lol: then would have to escape when security/watchmen would do their rounds, Started mini diggers, or lept from 1st floor of said houses onto piles of sand.

Thinking back to some of the stupid shit i did as a kid i'd be a nervous wreck if i had a child who went out to play lol

:lol:

Ditto. Half our street was getting renovated in the early eighties, we used to play Japs and Commandos in the derelict houses and jump out of the 1st floor windows onto an old mattress. I once looked down the stairway at the wrong moment and was hit by a jap hand grenade, (a half brick) which caught me just above my nose and eye. I was fine about it till I felt the wetness on my face and touched it to see a hand covered in blood. Aye, we also would have fun getting chased off the Watchie and their Alsatians. :D

lol kid will love that, everyone wants a cub/treehouse as a bairn.

I hope so after the effort I put in! It was a second hand one that I spent a few days refurbishing.

This is what it was like when I went to get it.

r3VB3y.jpg

You were lucky.

:lol:

Ditto. Half our street was getting renovated in the early eighties, we used to play Japs and Commandos in the derelict houses and jump out of the 1st floor windows onto an old mattress. I once looked down the stairway at the wrong moment and was hit by a jap hand grenade, (a half brick) which caught me just above my nose and eye. I was fine about it till I felt the wetness on my face and touched it to see a hand covered in blood. Aye, we also would have fun getting chased off the Watchie and their Alsatians. :D

:D

Getting a chase was one of the best things about playing in sites.

I found some leftover cement at the old peoples houses being built on our street when I was about 10, so I laid about 5 breeze blocks before the guard chased us.

I'm proud to say they remained in place ( because, yes, I checked regularly :D ).

Was also lucky enough to have Gosforth Park a short bike ride away, so dens were made years before Ray Mear rolled onto our screens.

Our names were set in stone in a newly laid bit of cement on a plinth at Walkergate Metro about 1990 as teenagers. They were still there as of a year ago but not so sure now they've been working on a lift. Be sad if it's gone as one of those names is no longer with us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They were brilliant when I seen them, couldn't have asked for a better setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/manic-street-preachers/2010/liverpool-university-liverpool-england-2bd52466.html

Reminds me that I need to refamiliarise myself with their post-2000 stuff - I gave up actively listening to them after This Is My Truth (which, Tolerate aside, is pretty rotten) and while I've heard every album since, it's usually just been one listen on Spotify/dodgy download and that's it.

Reminds me that I need to refamiliarise myself with their post-2000 stuff - I gave up actively listening to them after This Is My Truth (which, Tolerate aside, is pretty rotten) and while I've heard every album since, it's usually just been one listen on Spotify/dodgy download and that's it.

Admittedly patchy but Send away the tigers and Journal for plague lovers are the highlights - don't bother with Lifeblood at all.