Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

Danny Baker talks about being spendthrift as a positive.  He's never had any money in the bank he reckons.  He had to borrow from Chris Evans when he got cancer and couldn't work.  Worked harder once he was better and paid him off.

Can't enjoy it while it's in the bank.

That's fine I think, if you are living the high life.  

But people will spend £10 a day on shite.   Miserable canteen food/drink when you throw away better food unused and mouldy in the house at the end of the week.  £50 a week pays for a lush meal out.

Spending £10 a month on spotify rental isn't enjoying money to me, there's a small convenience to it, but it's more enjoyable to use spotify free and have an extra £120 a year to buy gig tickets or CDs/MP3s you own for life at high quality.  

I see that as making money work for me to be enjoyed while young.  Shit canteen bait and ephemera is not something I look at and think "that's worth an hour of my time spent in the office"

Faster cars are a lot more fun than slow ones, so I'm not as opposed to spending on those.  Unless you live with your parents, in which case, have a word.

Oh Gloom. You better have one eye on the pensionable age cos whatever it is you're gonna be grafting right up to it and possibly beyond.

Do people really want to stop working anyway?  I can't imagine doing it.

Probably a good thing I feel that way given how fecking terrible I am with money.

Do people really want to stop working anyway?  I can't imagine doing it.

:aye:

I guess it varies from person to person though. Had a few months off at the start of the year before starting a new job and loved every minute of it. Was nearly 5 months in fact and barely noticed them fly by :lol:

Danny Baker talks about being spendthrift as a positive.  He's never had any money in the bank he reckons.  He had to borrow from Chris Evans when he got cancer and couldn't work.  Worked harder once he was better and paid him off.

Can't enjoy it while it's in the bank.

That's fine I think, if you are living the high life.  

But people will spend £10 a day on shite.   Miserable canteen food/drink when you throw away better food unused and mouldy in the house at the end of the week.  £50 a week pays for a lush meal out.

Spending £10 a month on spotify rental isn't enjoying money to me, there's a small convenience to it, but it's more enjoyable to use spotify free and have an extra £120 a year to buy gig tickets or CDs/MP3s you own for life at high quality.  

I see that as making money work for me to be enjoyed while young.  Shit canteen bait and ephemera is not something I look at and think "that's worth an hour of my time spent in the office"

Faster cars are a lot more fun than slow ones, so I'm not as opposed to spending on those.  Unless you live with your parents, in which case, have a word.

This bit here is bang on.

There is a little cafe near the office that does really nice coffee and food.  Every now and then I shall pop in and have my lunch there.  I get ripped for it by some of the lads here, mostly from a kid who has to look at whoopsies in the supermarket because his bird doesnt give him enough dinner money FFS!

Our lass is a financial planner so I should be canny to retire when planned.  But I bet a lot of people said that.  You dont know what's around the corner like.

Yep, mortgage is paid off at 60 and I'm on the old

Pension so I'm taking my money and running. Plus the savings account will be chocka in 25 years time ;)

Well that assumes a lot of things don't change in the next quarter of a century.

Edited by Alex

There is a little cafe near the office that does really nice coffee and food.  Every now and then I shall pop in and have my lunch there.  I get ripped for it by some of the lads here, mostly from a kid who has to look at whoopsies in the supermarket because his bird doesnt give him enough dinner money FFS!

Our lass is a financial planner so I should be canny to retire when planned.  But I bet a lot of people said that.  You dont know what's around the corner like.

I went to see a financial planner, she reckoned people should aim for about 60 to 80% of their final income as their pension income. Seems reasonable until you think hang on, no kids, no mortgage, your own assets, savings obviously. How much do you actually need to be able to live comfortably? 

Is that what people aim for? All depends what you earn but it seems a lot given how much less you should need to spend. 

I went to see a financial planner, she reckoned people should aim for about 60 to 80% of their final income as their pension income. Seems reasonable until you think hang on, no kids, no mortgage, your own assets, savings obviously. How much do you actually need to be able to live comfortably? 

Is that what people aim for? All depends what you earn but it seems a lot given how much less you should need to spend. 

Most people who see financial advisors to plan for retirement actually end up completely overestimating how much they need.

Aye, it sounded like she expected people in retirement to live on cruise ships half the year. Am thinking 30% would be fine.

I've calculated mine at 50% to continue current standard of living, including nice holidays etc. In practice though, it would probably be a bit less than that cos there's a cost to just being in work (clothes, fuel etc) that would drop away once you pack it in.

The financial planner 60 to 80% stuff is probably cos they take a percentage of your assets every year as their fee!My mam doesn't have a great deal of money put away but she's paying a financial advisor 0.75% a year for it and he's got her money in a bunch of convoluted funds such that on average she pays 2.3% a year. Which is insane when you consider the low rate/growth environment.

So I'm currently trying to get her to break the ties with this bloke, but apparently they've got friendly with him and one of his kids is unwell blah blah. [emoji38]

So we're just going to let this slide? Whoopsies?

Of the few people I know who are likely going to be in a position to retire early, they're all the kind of people who would go fucking mental if one day they just stopped. My Dad's one of them, the first year or so of his retirement was awful for him. So he ended up filling his life with stuff like the charity, occasionally doing some consultancy, driving my mam around the country so they can sit doing nothing somewhere other than home. A mate of mine could be in a position to retire by 40, but honestly, he'd lose his mind if his days weren't 7 o'clock starts packed through the day and he didn't "just need to answer this email" at 10:30 at night.

So we're just going to let this slide? Whoopsies?

Of the few people I know who are likely going to be in a position to retire early, they're all the kind of people who would go fucking mental if one day they just stopped. My Dad's one of them, the first year or so of his retirement was awful for him. So he ended up filling his life with stuff like the charity, occasionally doing some consultancy, driving my mam around the country so they can sit doing nothing somewhere other than home. A mate of mine could be in a position to retire by 40, but honestly, he'd lose his mind if his days weren't 7 o'clock starts packed through the day and he didn't "just need to answer this email" at 10:30 at night.

:lol:

Whoopsies.

It's about having the balance between work and life sorted before you retire, though.

If you suddenly have all that free time,but no interests to fill it with, you're going to go mental.

If you already have interests/hobbies whatever, its an opportunity to pursue them without the chore of graft getting in the way.

Edit; when you see lottery winners who carry on working in their shitty jobs, that's an extreme example of my point- they have no idea what to do because they've let work become their sole existence. They have no idea what to do without it.