Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

:lol:

Whoopsies.

It's about having the balance between work and life sorted before you retire, though.

If you suddenly have all that free time,but no interests to fill it with, you're going to go mental.

If you already have interests/hobbies whatever, its an opportunity to pursue them without the chore of graft getting in the way.

Aye, my Dad certainly didn't have that, he's probably busier now. He should have just taken up golf, to be honest.

:lol:

Whoopsies.

It's about having the balance between work and life sorted before you retire, though.

If you suddenly have all that free time,but no interests to fill it with, you're going to go mental.

If you already have interests/hobbies whatever, its an opportunity to pursue them without the chore of graft getting in the way.

Edit; when you see lottery winners who carry on working in their shitty jobs, that's an extreme example of my point- they have no idea what to do because they've let work become their sole existence. They have no idea what to do without it.

Having spent to guts of 40 years trying to attain some semblance of work:life balance, I can't imagine ditching the work side of it.

I need to solve problems and need a little risk.  The former I can see finding in a Nursing home, the latter not so much.  Hardly going to start jumping out of planes at 70.

Edit; when you see lottery winners who carry on working in their shitty jobs, that's an extreme example of my point- they have no idea what to do because they've let work become their sole existence. They have no idea what to do without it.

Yep!

Which brings you to think. How many of us would immediately give up their jobs supposing there was a significant cash windfall out of nowhere suddenly? Rich aunt's will or whatever. I think I'd be handing in my notice as soon as gauging that I'd be able to live off it. Even though I dont really have a major hobby or a business idea etc that I could work on immediately, but the idea of sitting back and having time to think doing about whatever the hell you want is hugely appealing :D 

[emoji38] Aye I would never cross the threshold at work again. Divide the amount by 25. If the answer is greater than what I need to live on each year, then ring work and tell them that the dream is over. They will never catch me playing on my phone at my desk during a conference call again.

If you'd invested that money, it would have been worth £156.66 in 25 years time. ;)

Yes, but I'd miss out on the opportunity to expand my waistline by a couple of inches this Christmas

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gurufocus/2016/06/10/5-attractive-biotechnology-stocks-for-healthy-long-term-returns/#79f2f514528e

They go up and down but these funds give around 10% growth. *

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/011516/top-5-biotechnology-mutual-funds-2016.asp

* Past performance does not guarantee future performance.

Edited by Park Life

That was the question though. "If you had enough money to not have to work, would you quit?"

Myself know a couple of people who dont need to at all but do. One worked as a tax associate dealing with miserable public sector clients basically just filing appeal upon appeal for them. While his family was asking him to come manage the hectares of agricultural land he owned, or any of the hospitals or schools etc they were running in the area. Thought it might not have been true until the day I was passing by the area and he invited me to see 'his lands'. Tax associate ffs :lol: 

Myself know a couple of people who dont need to at all but do. One worked as a tax associate dealing with miserable public sector clients basically just filing appeal upon appeal for them. While his family was asking him to come manage the hectares of agricultural land he owned, or any of the hospitals or schools etc they were running in the area. Thought it might not have been true until the day I was passing by the area and he invited me to see 'his lands'. Tax associate ffs [emoji38]

People are funny! Suppose it comes down to the individual but I'm assume long you mean a tax associate at an accountancy firm. Actually, as I'm saying that, all of the tax people I worked with at PwC were weird as fuck, so this isn't that surprising. [emoji38]

People are funny! Suppose it comes down to the individual but I'm assume long you mean a tax associate at an accountancy firm. Actually, as I'm saying that, all of the tax people I worked with at PwC were weird as fuck, so this isn't that surprising. [emoji38]

Yes exactly PwC :lol: Its mental because all the tax guys at the firm did was fanny around the tax authority officials tickling their balls hoping to get extensions on deadlines for their clients.