Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

45 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Latest edition to the "Garagecade"

2_zpsioqkw6ux.png

awesome.. the wife got me one similar to this below for my 40th, and it’s got my favourite game Phoenix on it :D

150785D7-A5F3-4829-AB60-0BA727F728B2.jpeg

Edited by zerosum
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 14:03, ewerk said:

That seems to be the main jist of it, 'oh it can switch my lights off and on'. Well can't you do that when you enter and leave a room? FFS.

I mainly use it for playing music, checking the news/weather, setting timers, setting reminders, adding to a shopping list. 

In the new year I'll be getting more smart bulbs and looking at smart locks too. 

Mate has it set up so whenever he leaves work it pops the heating on so it's warm by the time he gets in, and the hall light switches itself on when he gets home. He's got a little'un so he gets it to play white noise to help the baby sleep, his mrs listens to podcasts through it and she can treat it like a speakerphone to talk to her mam.

I've got little switches for my lights & a timer for my heating on the boiler. It means I can turn lights on whenever I want them and set the heating to come on when I like.

It's great.

Domestic smart tech is great, easy to install & set up and works very accurately once commissioned. Why youd spend a fortune just for a few "minor gains" is beyond me though. Unless you're a gob smackingly anal ocean going uber nerd with more money than sense like... don't know if that applies to anyone on here?.... 

><> 

;)

• Haha 2

I spent £120 on a boiler controller that I can operate from my phone purely so I can stick the heating on 30 minutes before I get home which will end up saving money for me overall but the rest of the smart home craic is a nonsense.

28 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Domestic smart tech is great, easy to install & set up and works very accurately once commissioned. Why youd spend a fortune just for a few "minor gains" is beyond me though. Unless you're a gob smackingly anal ocean going uber nerd with more money than sense like... don't know if that applies to anyone on here?.... 

><> 

;)

Me :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I spent £120 on a boiler controller that I can operate from my phone purely so I can stick the heating on 30 minutes before I get home which will end up saving money for me overall but the rest of the smart home craic is a nonsense.

We have got Hive which is basically what you've described.  Brilliant bit of kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Not bought a football strip in about 20 years. 

Not bought a Scotlamd strip since 1990

:)

79F8032B-B74D-404C-B711-4CC712D9AD84.png

You could’ve saved yourself a lot of money buying from here, mate. 

:whistle:

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2019 at 11:47, Monkeys Fist said:

You could’ve saved yourself a lot of money buying from here, mate. 

:whistle:

In the words of the fabled Andy Cameron in his seminal 1978 hymn to the wonders of the Scottish nation “Ally’s Tartan Army”:

Wer’re playin for oor country

We’ve got tae do or die

England cannae dae it

Coz they didnae qualify 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

In the words of the fabled Andy Cameron in his seminal 1978 hymn to the wonders of the Scottish nation “Ally’s Tartan Army”:

Wer’re playin for oor country

We’ve got tae do or die

England cannae dae it

Coz they didnae qualify 

In fairness, Andy Cameron did also sing

“And we’ll really shake them up,

When we win the World Cup,

‘Cos Scotland is the greatest football team”

No mention in there of getting pumped by Peru, or drawing with Iran!

At least, in ‘98, Del Amitri had the decency to plead with them “Don’t come home too soon”

• Haha 1