Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

21 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

My son was like this- until about a year or so ago, every time we went anywhere, there’d be an armful of sticks coming back/ which were then added to his “collection”. 

TLDR: My son is a mutt. 

little boys are a lot like dogs. they both need to be walked at least once a day and both come back carrying a stick

• Haha 1

Stressed to death

Arranged a house viewing on a whim on Saturday as a lovely house came up locally. Was told they had 15 viewings booked in and it was likely to sell in days. Didn't think we stood a chance as our house want even up for sale

That night, a friend of a friend found out we may be selling and offered what we wanted on the spot. He's sold his house and is desperate to move to the estate as he has family round the corner. Suddenly we were in a good position so offered 5% above the asking price to try and clinch the house we viewed.

We get a call off the estate agent this morning to say we've offered the highest bid. But "to be fair to everyone else" they are asking all 15 viewers to offer their max final offers by 5pm tomorrow. Effectively using our bid to try and drive everyone else's offers up! 

Pack of bastards 

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

:lol: Estate agent in doing their job shocker.

I know that, doesn't make you feel any better being the one having your eyes taken out :lol:

You feel like it should be tough shit for those that bid too low in the first place 

i missed out on a place that went to best and finals last autumn. it's the wild west like and the cunts user every trick in the book to make you pay over the odds. you can file estate agents under cunts alongside bankers - and journalists, obvs. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I know that, doesn't make you feel any better being the one having your eyes taken out :lol:

You feel like it should be tough shit for those that bid too low in the first place 

They won't tell the 15, how much your top bid was, they'll just say to each "there was a higher bid than theirs, do you want to make a higher offer", you could still be highest even staying at what you have bid already (maybe not, as well like)

The estate agents responsibility is to the vendor, not the buyer, not to mention thry take a cut out of the sale price. Good luck anyway, moving house is a fucking nightmare. 

Edited by Renton

On 25/01/2021 at 16:16, Kid Dynamite said:

Stressed to death

Arranged a house viewing on a whim on Saturday as a lovely house came up locally. Was told they had 15 viewings booked in and it was likely to sell in days. Didn't think we stood a chance as our house want even up for sale

That night, a friend of a friend found out we may be selling and offered what we wanted on the spot. He's sold his house and is desperate to move to the estate as he has family round the corner. Suddenly we were in a good position so offered 5% above the asking price to try and clinch the house we viewed.

We get a call off the estate agent this morning to say we've offered the highest bid. But "to be fair to everyone else" they are asking all 15 viewers to offer their max final offers by 5pm tomorrow. Effectively using our bid to try and drive everyone else's offers up! 

Pack of bastards 

What's the latest? Shouldn't you have heard by now? And if you've heard and your first thought wasn't to immediately update us, then I don't know what to say to you. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

What's the latest? Shouldn't you have heard by now? And if you've heard and your first thought wasn't to immediately update us, then I don't know what to say to you. 

They wanted final offers by 5pm tonight. I expect we will hear tomorrow. We bottled it in the end and offered £25k above the asking price. If it goes for more than that then they can have it

58 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

They wanted final offers by 5pm tonight. I expect we will hear tomorrow. We bottled it in the end and offered £25k above the asking price. If it goes for more than that then they can have it

When I sold my last place, someone swooped in at the last minute and outbid the first couple that had offered. 

So we did the full and final offer thing and the first couple didn't budge a penny and the couple that already had the highest bid stuck another £7k on their offer, successfully outbidding themselves and becoming the proud owners. :lol:

For what it's worth, I reckon you've done the right thing. If you're in love with the place, this won't seem that big a deal years down the line. 

• Like 1

I hate the phrase, but if this is your "forever" house a few grand overpaid won't make a diference, just a bit more on your mortgage payment each month. My mistake has been to not stretch myself enough to get the house I wanted, meaning i ended up moving house 3 times and ultimately  spending probably a 6 figure sum more than i needed to if id just got it right first time, plus a large dollop of ball ache on top.

• Like 1

Could always do what we did, buy your missus’ dream home for about 20 grand over your top budget, then spend 60 grand on an extension anyway..

Be worth it when it’s done like but I deal with builders all day at work and now all day at home.

8 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Well this is the risk. We've potentially chucked an extra £10k down the drain :lol: 

And in a few years it'll hopefully be worth more than you paid for it so it's a no brainer if it's the one you really want.

• Like 1

We managed to get the dream house for asking price because the original buyer offered more, then pulled out. Cheeky bastards wanted us to match that price, but we held firm and saved about £25k. Now we've got a house that we'll not move from in the next 20-30 years. We've spent a little here and there on a new bathroom and stuff, but we want to do the kitchen extension and the attic. So that'll be about £90k, but the way I see it, anything we spend on the house will be reflected in it's value, and the local estate agents have said the thing's already gone up in value by about £50k in 2yrs just because of the market in the area..

Just need a rich aunt to die/phat acca to land so we can pay for the work we want done in one fell swoop. 

Edited by The Fish

TBF £25k over asking price was a generous offer. If you're in no panic to get a bigger place then I'd say stay where you're at. I'm sure the people lined up to buy your place will understand.

House prices (homes with gardens) have gone insane. My colleague put a first offer 80k over the asking price (20% of value) for a house and was still outbid. She's since bought a "doer upper". Problem she now has found that you have to actually do up these houses. 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

House prices (homes with gardens) have gone insane. My colleague put a first offer 80k over the asking price (20% of value) for a house and was still outbid. She's since bought a "doer upper". Problem she now has found that you have to actually do up these houses. 

:lol: Aye, we're still renting (because London) but we've been looking around at what's available to buy (not here, obviously - near my family, near his family etc.) for what kind of budget, just to get a general idea for when the time inevitably comes for us to up sticks. First thing we've agreed on is absolutely no doer uppers. The whole process of buying and owning already seems massively stressful without moving into somewhere that's not actually ready for you to live in.

Honestly think the problem is the number of tv shows where people breeze into a fixer-upper, and in 30 minutes they've got a dream house with a cinema room, a kitchen island and bifold doors. Even in those, the drama of builders and surveys are apparently immediately resolved. The only people I know who've actually benefited from a fixer-upper are the ones who can afford to pay a fortune, or people who're builders themselves.

We're trying to get someone to come in and add a small splashback behind the bathroom sink, we've been chasing various tilers for fucking months. It's getting to the point Mrs Fish is considering letting me have a crack myself. :lol: So I can't imagine the fart on getting 3-4 tradesmen to work in sync for a bigger project.