Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

27 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Was checking some of these out, but I've a fucking load of questions that the reviews don't answer.

Does yours have guide-wires and a massive docking station and all that? Only takes me about 20 minutes to mow the lawn every fortnight at the minute, would a robot one really make that much of a difference?

Yeah there's guide wires which are easy to bury or peg down. The docking station isn't all that big, I've got mine hidden behind the garage. The main reason I got mine is that I've more grass cuttings than I can fit in the bin. Sounds like yours isn't much hassle so it wouldn't be that much of a benefit to you.

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah there's guide wires which are easy to bury or peg down. The docking station isn't all that big, I've got mine hidden behind the garage. The main reason I got mine is that I've more grass cuttings than I can fit in the bin. Sounds like yours isn't much hassle so it wouldn't be that much of a benefit to you.

How big is your lawn, like? 

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Yeah, that doesn't sound remotely like a hassle. 

It's like Gemmill's Roomba. Doesn't work on untidy floors or on stairs, which rules it out of the worst aspects of hoovering. Utterly pointless.

Gonna have to admit - as much as it wouldn't work for me since clearing up the kids toys from the garden arguably takes me as much time as actually cutting the fucking grass - I remember seeing one when I was I drunk in the arse end of nowhere (Donegal) and was quite impressed. Wasn't much like a roomba, just a cordless electric mower without a handle. 

Probably stood and watched it for a solid ten minutes. Quality entertainment. 

• Haha 2

I had plastic grass in my old place. It’s great if you want a low maintenance small space. Terrible for bees and the environment generally. I’ve got a big lawn at my new place for the first time ever and so far am loving looking after it. Stick a podcast on, get an hours peace and quiet away from the kids and chalk up about 4-5k steps in the process - what’s not to like?

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I had plastic grass in my old place. It’s great if you want a low maintenance small space. Terrible for bees and the environment generally. I’ve got a big lawn at my new place for the first time ever and so far am loving looking after it. Stick a podcast on, get an hours peace and quiet away from the kids and chalk up about 4-5k steps in the process - what’s not to like?

We have hundreds of flowers in pots for the bees. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Stick a podcast on, get an hours peace and quiet away from the kids and chalk up about 4-5k steps in the process - what’s not to like?

Not advocating artificial lawns here but honestly I'd rather get an hour or so peace, clock up 4k steps and listen to a podcast by walking to the pub and back.

Gardening can get fucked.

• Haha 1

Seems barely relevant and I can't really be arsed with Radiohead, but whatever.

"A green plastic watering can

For a fake Chinese rubber plant

In the fake plastic earth.....

She looks like the real thing ...

My fake plastic love"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Eh, which bit is a hassle? Watching it work day in, day out without interruption?

Planting guide wires, hard wiring the port, and forking out several hundred quid for starters. I don't when own a lawn mower now, I've got a gardener. I suspect by the time I've paid him what your mower cost yours will have broken down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Had on. 4 to 5 k steps is more than 2 miles. You own a lawn that size in London? 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Planting guide wires, hard wiring the port, and forking out several hundred quid for starters. I don't when own a lawn mower now, I've got a gardener. I suspect by the time I've paid him what your mower cost yours will have broken down. 

My lawnmower cost me £400 four years ago you bourgeois fuck. How much has your Eastern European slave cost you since then?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

My lawnmower cost me £400 four years ago you bourgeois fuck. How much has your Eastern European slave cost you since then?

5 Levs an hour plus use of his garden shed to sleep over in on grass cutting day. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Renton said:

Had on. 4 to 5 k steps is more than 2 miles. You own a lawn that size in London? 

It’s about 90ft, which is big for london. 

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Typical. Just as I was starting to really warm to you cunts you all start infighting over lawn care of all things.

That’s what I like about this place, the way everyone gets rilled up and gets all cuntish when discussions take a left turn from there point of view/lawn care ritual.

That and the fact Quiff/KSA loves kid rock and is cunt all the time!

• Haha 1