Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

20 hours ago, sammynb said:

This is where I find myself at the moment but buying Solovair made versions (English made in one of the original factories instead of the Chinese overpriced Docs) - even buying cherry (what they call rub off, so polished black over cherry).

Rains so much here recently trainers are fucking pain.

Ill have to look into this! Didn't know any of the new docs were Chinese made. Might explain why the pair my missus bought a few months ago completely destroyed her feet way beyond the usual expected "breaking them in" phase. 

This pair I'm on are fucking ancient, as much as a decade. Fuck knows exactly. I met a bloke at a wedding a good few years back who had a sideline as a mobile shoe-repair guy*, had him  replace the soles and he patched up other things (forget exactly what and lost his number and forgot his name by now).

* sounds mental but he seemed to make a killing focussing on the wealthier wee towns and villages around here that attract the hillwalking community. Absolute win in the "Smalltalk with strangers at a wedding" stakes.

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Ill have to look into this! Didn't know any of the new docs were Chinese made. Might explain why the pair my missus bought a few months ago completely destroyed her feet way beyond the usual expected "breaking them in" phase. 

This pair I'm on are fucking ancient, as much as a decade. Fuck knows exactly. I met a bloke at a wedding a good few years back who had a sideline as a mobile shoe-repair guy*, had him  replace the soles and he patched up other things (forget exactly what and lost his number and forgot his name by now).

* sounds mental but he seemed to make a killing focussing on the wealthier wee towns and villages around here that attract the hillwalking community. Absolute win in the "Smalltalk with strangers at a wedding" stakes.

Yeah, the Doc name was bought by an asian company after they went into administration in the 2000s. They still make some in England but they are labelled as such and charge a premium, whereas the old factories that use to make then for Docs are still releasing them under their own names, Solovair, Loakes, Grinders, etc.

These guys are a good place to start for alternatives to the new shite Docs - https://www.britboot.co.uk/

They also do repairs/resoling/etc.

So do Solovair for their own shoes/boots - https://uk.nps-solovair.com/

George Cox, who are famous for creepers, are another one who still do good shoes, only thing is they have recently been bought by Fred Perry, so no doubt the proud boys will all be wearing creepers soon!

Edited by sammynb

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

Yeah, the Doc name was bought by an asian company after they went into administration in the 2000s. They still make some in England but they are labelled as such and charge a premium, whereas the old factories that use to make then for Docs are still releasing them under their own names, Solovair, Loakes, Grinders, etc.

These guys are a good place to start for alternatives to the new shite Docs - https://www.britboot.co.uk/

They also do repairs/resoling/etc.

So do Solovair for their own shoes/boots - https://uk.nps-solovair.com/

George Cox, who are famous for creepers, are another one who still do good shoes, only thing is they have recently been bought by Fred Perry, so no doubt the proud boys will all be wearing creepers soon!

Ah that's some great info. Sad as it is the right wing connotations with these boots isn't a new thing. Alexi Sayle wrote a fucking wonderfully sarcastic song on the subject. Can't be having bigots appropriating footwear, or even just clothing in general. 

33 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Ah that's some great info. Sad as it is the right wing connotations with these boots isn't a new thing. Alexi Sayle wrote a fucking wonderfully sarcastic song on the subject. Can't be having bigots appropriating footwear, or even just clothing in general. 

Turns out I was wrong about an asian company buying them, they just decided to move 99% of manufacturing to asia for cost reasons after almost going bankrupt.

In the 2000s, Dr. Martens were sold exclusively under the AirWair name in dozens of different styles, including conventional black shoes, sandals and steel-toed boots. AirWair International Ltd revenue fell from US$412 million in 1999 to $127 million in 2006.[18] In 2003 the Dr. Martens company came close to bankruptcy.[19] On 1 April that year, under pressure from declining sales, the company ceased making shoes in the UK,[20] and moved all production to China and Thailand. Five factories and two shops were closed in the UK, and more than 1,000 of the firm's employees lost their jobs.[21] Following the closures, the R. Griggs company employed only 20 people in the UK, all in the firm's head office.[22] Five million pairs of Dr. Martens were sold during 2003, half the 1990s level of sales.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Martens

Yeah loved AS's Dr Marten's boots, he had a knack for ripping the piss out of the right wing and its fuckwits.

• Like 1

I had a copy of his book "Thatcher Stole My Trousers". Think I managed to read about a quarter of it before the lad got his hands on it and ripped out all the fucking pages. Did the same with my copy of Hitch22 aswell.

Nightmare, have to hide all the books from him. Funny thing is my other half is a librarian.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

No joke man. Oldest daughter keeps her books locked in a cupboard.

Missus brings home loads of the old stock and discards so we can leave them lying around as decoy books for him (the hope being he'll stop looking around for our books) but it only really distracts him for 10 or 15 minutes. He's soon back to tearing the house apart, probabaly looking for something he caught me reading 3 weeks before hand. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

No joke man. Oldest daughter keeps her books locked in a cupboard.

Missus brings home loads of the old stock and discards so we can leave them lying around as decoy books for him (the hope being he'll stop looking around for our books) but it only really distracts him for 10 or 15 minutes. He's soon back to tearing the house apart, probabaly looking for something he caught me reading 3 weeks before hand. 

Wait, have I missed something? Your lad genuinely rips the pages out of books? 

What's that about?

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Wait, have I missed something? Your lad genuinely rips the pages out of books? 

What's that about?

He's autistic, but that's really just scratching the surface tbh. Completely non-verbal and has a severe developmental delay. Fucking obsessed with numbers though, used to be number cards, then he discovered all our books have page numbers.. First thing he does is flick to the last page to check the last page number then he proceeds to rip out pages and line them up in number sequences. 

2 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

He's autistic, but that's really just scratching the surface tbh. Completely non-verbal and has a severe developmental delay. Fucking obsessed with numbers though, used to be number cards, then he discovered all our books have page numbers.. First thing he does is flick to the last page to check the last page number then he proceeds to rip out pages and line them up in number sequences. 

Man, that must be challenging. I'd suggest getting a Kindle or something, but if the Mrs is a Librarian-- well that Dog just won't hunt, will it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

Man, that must be challenging. I'd suggest getting a Kindle or something, but if the Mrs is a Librarian-- well that Dog just won't hunt, will it.

Ah it is what it is. He's one of four, fair to say I was already used to the chaos by the time he got old enough that his needs become more apparant. In a few ways (aye alright, very few) he's less work than his sister's. Plus, the sooner they talk, the sooner they talk back.

Kindle is a good shout tbh, especially for stuff I really want to read. I dunno though, something about it just isn't the same as having a good old-fashioned bookshelf.

• Like 2

A design from the 1920s, made out of polyester and carrying a crest not used until 70 years later? 

* I would have put this in the other thread had someone not deleted. :lol: 

You lot do need to go on that site though and see the authentic ‘never released’ Liverpool top from the 90s :lol::lol:

12 minutes ago, Craig said:

A design from the 1920s, made out of polyester and carrying a crest not used until 70 years later? 

You lot do need to go on that site though and see the authentic ‘never released’ Liverpool top from the 90s :lol::lol:

I've seen the others on eBay. :lol:

1 hour ago, Craig said:

A side effect of marking the starter as a spammer, I have unhidden the thread itself now but the rest of their posts won't show.

On 10/02/2023 at 12:34, Renton said:

Just seen this and thought of the hilarity of @Monkeys Fist using these coasters to put his mug on. Death from innuendo.

Reminds me a page from an old Dr Seuss book (forget which one exactly) that I've got permanently etched on my brain and think I have memorised to a tee since my first scan of it when reading to one of the kids had me thinking "this cunt is seriously trying hoodwink me into accidentally saying something massively inappropriate to minors."

Chicks with bricks come

Chicks with blocks come

Chicks with bricks and blocks and clocks come.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Reminds me a page from an old Dr Seuss book (forget which one exactly) that I've got permanently etched on my brain and think I have memorised to a tee since my first scan of it when reading to one of the kids had me thinking "this cunt is seriously trying hoodwink me into accidentally saying something massively inappropriate to minors."

Chicks with bricks come

Chicks with blocks come

Chicks with bricks and blocks and clocks come.

Think that's Green Eggs and Ham.

I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of high literature.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Ah close! I had a look today and it's from Fox in Socks.

Honestly it's like Beat Poetry for kids.

I wasn't lying about high literature.

Fox in socks eat rocks you pox,

Pocks on rocks with clocks in box,

Box of socks and rocks hit fox,

Fox last tocks and now in box.

• Haha 3