Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

I got Derren Brown's book 'Trick of the Mind' for my dad years ago--he didn't read it. I picked it up recently and read the chapters on memory techniques and hypnotism. He explains that there are two main schools of thought on hypnotism: one believes there is a trance state and the other doesn't. Science points to there being no trance state. DB says the effectiveness of hypnotism relies on whether the participant believes in it, hence some people cannot be hypnotised, while others are susceptible.

Does he reveal any more as to how it's actually done ?

I just find it massively unnerving that the fella we saw achieved it with a mass instruction followed by a Spok shoulder nip .

It's 'in the voice' is it ?

I liked that hour long episode where he used a convoluted, mass participant experiment to correctly 'predict' the lottery result without actually going to the additional relatively minor inconvenience of purchasing a ticket using his confident formula.

How he was allowed another show after that I havent got a fucking clue.

Does he reveal any more as to how it's actually done ?

I just find it massively unnerving that the fella we saw achieved it with a mass instruction followed by a Spok shoulder nip .

It's 'in the voice' is it ?

He does, if you're interested in that sort of thing I'd reccomend the book. He's not the best writer, but his knowledge of the subject is very good obviously. You can become more effective by learning the technique behind hypnotism, but it still depends on the subject, and whether they are convinced that hypnotism is real. If you try it on someone who is committed to the belief that hypnotism is bollocks, nothing will happen. Essentially the subject is tricking themself. So DB says anyway.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

You're not allowed to ride one til you have passed your test. And you can only take your test on a 125cc. Stops lots of teenage boys killing themselves I suppose. Should do a similar thing with cars imo

Not being funny, that wouldn't even cover one of them

Congratulations! You win the Predictable Response award! :razz:

The prize is NOT a look at my boobs...

Source of pride that I can state I've never had an STD :good:

mind, kids that young don't tend to be carriers...

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?ItemKey=592515&MPItemKey=594218&NetKey=2#offer_details

All being well I should end up with this next week, worked it out and I'd been with O2 since September of 2001 so it's about time for a change. Hopefully I should get 350 from Quidco and O2 said they'd give me £62 for my Desire.

The NUFC annual 2011/2012. 50p in HMV

£40 of CD's:-

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms

Air - 10,000 Hz Legend

De La Soul - 3 Feet high and rising

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Battles - Mirrored

Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full

Wild Flag - Wild Flag

Rufus Wainwright - Want One

Status Quo - greatest hits

Rod Stewart greatest Hits