Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

It's called touting but morally it's no different to selling any rare item for more than its original value really. The only difference being people get very precious about seeing football teams, bands live etc. I.e. sell a rare CD for £30 - ok, sell a Newcastle v Sunderland ticket for double its face value - total scumbag. :jesuswept:

Tom's right, if paws puts it on eBay with a low starting price but the final sum is three times the value that's not (in my eyes) paws' fault.

Touts are the people who take advantage of the rarity of the tickets, or the timing. Touts are the ones who buy great swathes of tickets just to sell them on at an inflated value, they're the ones who buy a stack of tickets, then go to the venue and sell them outside for 3 time the value.

paws has received a spare ticket and will look to sell it on, I'm sure if he knew someone who wanted to go he wouldn't suddenly become a mercernary cock and charge his mate 3 times it's price.

I think you're just being a little precious and should stop whining.

Yeah exactly I doubt you can call buying an extra ticket by accident ''touting''.

A tout starts a ticket off at £130 or something. If you start it at a fair price and it happens to go for more that's fair play.

Why would Paws want to lose money?

Touting : Buying a vast amount of tickets that are in high demand, often using a host of different credit cards and selling the tickets on to make a vast and calculated profit.

Selling fairly : Putting a ticket on ebay and letting it go for what people want to pay for it...

If he puts the ticket on ebay for a reasonable starting price (e.g £20) and people pay more that isn't touting at all.

Ebay is a direct and easy way of selling things, what's the alternative?

And if there is an alternative why should paws go out of his way to lose money he could have been making in a time when nobody really has any? :jesuswept:

that's the issue for me like Paws isn't setting out with the intention of screwing someone out of extra cash, he's just looking to offload a ticket that he received in error. I don't doubt that touts are utter twats who hike the price to take advantage of someone's affection for an event, I don't think Paws is a tout, I think he's a bloke who's got a spare ticket and will sell it on.

If some mug wants to pay 3 times it's value, then that's their own damn problem. On eBay they can place a maximum bid. He's not exactly standing outside the venue with a fistful of tickets hocking his wares and rubbing punters is he?

Realistically you could pay for your entire night out by selling that ticket!

Yeah I know, but call me soft - it feels a bit wrong! I'm as entrepreneurial as the next man (more so I suppose) but gig tickets at stupid prices for fans is wrong. I was listening to Rock Radio in Mancheser on Friday and they had a phone in which lasted for most of the afternoon on the subject of the shambles that was the ACDC ticket sale. I'm proper made up I've got the tickets I needed but can understand the fans who are gutted they missed out. The tickets sold out in under 20mins I think. I'm still waiting to find out if my brothers workmate needs the ticket or not. Apparently he's trying to go with a gang of his mates.

buying extra tickets just to flog it on ebay makes you a fucking scumbag frankly

sell it to some unlucky shit who couldn't manage to get a ticket this morning tbh

(like myself when 3 separate pcs all got errors after ticketmaster reserved and held tickets for me but decided to act up)

Scumbag? Fuck off. Read my previous posts.

I'll tell you what, here's the whole, unabridged story.

I went on to buy 3 standing tickets for me, wor kid and my dad. I bought two (the max allocation per card) and I had my mate hitting the same sites to make sure I got the third. As he went through his transaction, he'd been allocated his single ticket request, the seetickets site went down (whilst validating my credit card). We had no idea if I had the ticket or not. So we went on and tried again. Got a single ticket, site fucked up at exactly the same stage. Went to try a 3rd time and the standing tickets were gone. At this point I have no idea if I have just 2 (the two I successfully bought from ticketline), 3 or 4 standing tickets. Given that I need 3 tickets (1 for ME, 1 for MY brother and 1 for MY dad) I have a problem. There were some side seats left on wayahead.com (the lesser known, parent company of see tickets). My Dad's words were exactly "I'd rather sit on my own and see ACDC than not at all". A sentiment echoed by myself. So I bought the side seat.

10 mins later I get an email telling me I have a side-seat ticket. 15mins later I get an email saying I've bought a single standing ticket for ACDC. 2 mins after that I get an email telling me I have 2 x standing tickets for ACDC (the very first transaction which went through successfully - it was on a different site though - ticketline).

The 2nd standing ticket either didn't go through, or was cancelled because the 1st standing and the seat had cleared and that made my allocation of 2x tickets for that card.

I bought the seat because I didn't know if I had the 3rd standing ticket or not (despite 2 attempts to buy it). I didn't buy the seat ticket to rip people off. If I'd wanted to do that, I would have bought a pair as they are more valuable.

So, before you get on your high horse and start preaching to people about what they should and shoudn't do; listen/read the fucking story first and then make a judgement. Otherwise, fuck off and keep your mouth shut.

As it happens, I'm still waiting to find out if my brother's workmate needs a ticket or not. They were all out on the piss last night and wor kid isn't answering the phone. If he wants it - it's his for the price I paid for it.

buying extra tickets just to flog it on ebay makes you a fucking scumbag frankly

sell it to some unlucky shit who couldn't manage to get a ticket this morning tbh

(like myself when 3 separate pcs all got errors after ticketmaster reserved and held tickets for me but decided to act up)

I went on to buy 3 standing tickets for me, wor kid and my dad. I bought two (the max allocation per card) and I had my mate hitting the same sites to make sure I got the third. As he went through his transaction, he'd been allocated his single ticket request, the seetickets site went down (whilst validating my credit card). We had no idea if I had the ticket or not. So we went on and tried again. Got a single ticket, site fucked up at exactly the same stage. Went to try a 3rd time and the standing tickets were gone. At this point I have no idea if I have just 2 (the two I successfully bought from ticketline), 3 or 4 standing tickets. Given that I need 3 tickets (1 for ME, 1 for MY brother and 1 for MY dad) I have a problem. There were some side seats left on wayahead.com (the lesser known, parent company of see tickets). My Dad's words were exactly "I'd rather sit on my own and see ACDC than not at all". A sentiment echoed by myself. So I bought the side seat.

10 mins later I get an email telling me I have a side-seat ticket. 15mins later I get an email saying I've bought a single standing ticket for ACDC. 2 mins after that I get an email telling me I have 2 x standing tickets for ACDC (the very first transaction which went through successfully - it was on a different site though - ticketline).

The 2nd standing ticket either didn't go through, or was cancelled because the 1st standing and the seat had cleared and that made my allocation of 2x tickets for that card.

I bought the seat because I didn't know if I had the 3rd standing ticket or not (despite 2 attempts to buy it). I didn't buy the seat ticket to rip people off. If I'd wanted to do that, I would have bought a pair as they are more valuable.

So, before you get on your high horse and start preaching to people about what they should and shoudn't do; listen/read the fucking story first and then make a judgement. Otherwise, fuck off and keep your mouth shut.

As it happens, I'm still waiting to find out if my brother's workmate needs a ticket or not. They were all out on the piss last night and wor kid isn't answering the phone. If he wants it - it's his for the price I paid for it.

... you utter bastard paws, why didn't you hunt down your brothers workmate on his night out and ram the ticket into his pocket while you sucked him off?

what kind of shady fucker are you anyway?!

Just read the rest of the thread. Fook me, I seem to have started something.

Let me be clear. I didn't buy the ticket with the intention of selling it on (I think we've established that now - thanks Tom & Fish btw).

I am actually looking to sell it to someone I know first and not at a profit. I love going to gigs myself (none since the bairn arrived :jesuswept: ) so I understand Ant's grief about touts.

However, if I can't sell to anyone I know who might want a ticket (I have 2 other mates I will try if my bro's mate doesn't want it), then I'm sorry but it's going on ebay. As long as I sell it for how much I paid for it I don't care how much it goes for. By that I mean, I'm not looking to sell it for £165 or whatever they go for on ebay with buy it now; it ends where it ends. As Mrs Paws pointed out yesterday night (as I was cleaning the bairns puke off the carpet) if I make money on the ticket then Matthew needs some new baby vests/jumpers/anything else she can think of.

I'll buy that stuff anyway, but I'm sure whatever I would make off selling the ticket on ebay would be spent elsewhere on anyone/anything other than me. I can live with that, and so will the person that bought the ticket off me.

... you utter bastard paws, why didn't you hunt down your brothers workmate on his night out and ram the ticket into his pocket while you sucked him off?

what kind of shady fucker are you anyway?!

That just made me proper laugh out loud. There's bloody wine (fuck off before anyone makes a wise crack) on my keyboard now ya bastid.

Touch too much - ACDC

PES 2008

£27 FROM ASDA :icon_lol:

Didn't you want to get 2009 ?

:jesuswept:

Bastard :lol:

It was 2009,

I'm still getting used to it but I'm enjoying Champions League mode :D