Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

Well, I did put a wink next to it, but since you insist...

It's actually originally a wine made in a specific year / harvest. It was often (say for example in the case of champagne) only the best harvests or 'vintages' where you made a wine only consisting of grapes from that year. In other cases you would make a blend of more than one year including the best 'vintages' to mask any short comings in a particular harvest (or 'vintage' :razz: ) and also to maintain a standard, i.e. Moet NV tends to have a consistent taste irrespective of when it was made. Hence 'vintage' in the wider use of the term has come to mean both something of a certain era and also something that is quality. So its dubious to use it when referring to a Swatch.

Well, I did put a wink next to it, but since you insist...

It's actually originally a wine made in a specific year / harvest. It was often (say for example in the case of champagne) only the best harvests or 'vintages' where you made a wine only consisting of grapes from that year. In other cases you would make a blend of more than one year including the best 'vintages' to mask any short comings in a particular harvest (or 'vintage' :razz: ) and also to maintain a standard, i.e. Moet NV tends to have a consistent taste irrespective of when it was made. Hence 'vintage' in the wider use of the term has come to mean both something of a certain era and also something that is quality. So its dubious to use it when referring to a Swatch.

Words have been known to evolve and pick up meanings from time to time. As the definition I was referring to is included in the Oxford English Dictionary that was enough for me. Unless you have an olde worlde dictionary that only includes the original definition of every word ever. But then obviously that would pose its own problems as we pillaged a lot of them from other languages ;-)

The OED eh?:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/vintage?q=vintage

noun

• 1the year or place in which wine, especially wine of high quality, was produced: 1982 is one of the best vintages of the century

• a wine of high quality made from the crop of a single identified district in a good year.

• [mass noun] literary wine.

• the harvesting of grapes for winemaking: the work songs of the scything and the vintage

• the grapes or wine produced in a particular season: they have released the 1988 vintage of their best-selling red wine he never lost a vintage through frost

• 2the time that something of quality was produced: rifles of various sizes and vintages

adjective

• 1relating to or denoting wine of high quality: vintage claret

2denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind: a vintage Sherlock Holmes adventure

Struggling to see how that disagrees with what I said like

• 2 weeks later...

Difference being these have risen in price year on year for 25 years. Only going to make money on it when I come to sell it. Same with pinball machines. Made 2k on the last one I sold. If you're going to have a hobby it may as well be a profitable one

true that. analogue synths and drum machines are what i did a short while back. found a cr-78 drum machine and sold it on for £480, had a moog synth i restored and sold it for double bubble. just taken a 303 off a friend for £400, will make sure its working, tart it up and flog it for £1200....

Nice watch Fishy.

Cheers, got to admit it's kind of weird wearing a watch after nigh on 2 decades without. But this is the price you pay for being bored at work with a working bank account :blush2:

Nice watch Fishy.

Cheers, got to admit it's kind of weird wearing a watch after nigh on 2 decades without. But this is the price you pay for being bored at work with a working bank account :blush2:

You'll still get your phone out to check the time on a regular basis. I have worn watches for years and still do it :lol:

Nice watch Fishy.

You'll still get your phone out to check the time on a regular basis. I have worn watches for years and still do it :lol:

I was genuinely mocked for doing just that, last night. Rightly so.